1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-12-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Question Rear Elka Legacy Shocks

How many of you guys have these? I just received a set for my 2nd quad. At 1st I thought they were the wrong shocks! Because the opening for the lower clevis was way to big, Then I find out, they include two spacers and a longer lower bolt! What a pita to install, compared to the oem's, Elka fronts, and the Fox rears. Why do you suppose they made them this wide on the bottom? I know they don't fail often, but if you were in a race, and had to change a rear Elka shock you would loose a lot of valuable time, compared to swapping out a shock that actually fit w/out spacers!

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-15-2016, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine should be here sometime later this week.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-15-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The seller I got mine from made me wait a extra week on the front guards! So I rode once with just the rears didn't notice much of a difference. When I installed rears, I removed the rear tires to make it easier to install the spacers.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM

Got the shocks today and they did come with the spacers. Hopefully Ill have time to install them soon.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-17-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicG View Post
Got the shocks today and they did come with the spacers. Hopefully Ill have time to install them soon.
Did you get the fronts as well, and with guards? Idk if you will but I ended up crossing my resiviors in the rear. Seams like the hoses are extra long and stiff as hell. Which means they should hold up well.

Last edited by M_Quick; 08-17-2016 at 06:03 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 PM

Yup I got the fronts as well but no guards.

The rear shocks didn't come with the pre-load collar screws so I'll have to run to the hardware store and find some. Not too happy about that, but other than that they look great and I can't wait to put them on.

Last edited by CosmicG; 08-17-2016 at 09:52 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-17-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That sucks, did you get the 2 Allen wrenches. 1 for the set screws your missing and the other to turn the collar.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-17-2016, 10:25 PM

Yup I got those.

I have the DS450 XMX shocks on the 700xx right now. I thought they were pretty good until I hit up some rocky trails a couple weeks ago. I got the crap beat out of me.

So i started thinking about the quad and how to fix that when I remembered that those shocks are a little bit longer than OEM. And because of that, when you put them in and then adjust the preload to bring the geometry back or close to normal you've used up too much stroke IMO. It's either that or ride with the front end higher which is a no-go for me. I've only got a little bit more than an inch of travel on the shock before they hit the bumper! So yeah they're coming off. Good thing I didn't spend too much on them but damn all that grinding was a PITA!
post #9 of 15 Old 08-20-2016, 02:59 PM

Got them installed. Wasn't too bad but I took your advice and removed the wheels first. I can see field replacing one of the rears and losing a spacer in the process. Hell in my clutter garage I can easily lose one.

Early observation is that the rear of my 700xx is much softer now. I had the stock shocks with the preload all the way out and it still felt too stiff to me. I always thought it was just something different with IRS. I am the third owner so maybe someone else had some work done. Anyway with with the Elkas it feels much better but I still need to ride and fine tune it.

Last edited by CosmicG; 08-20-2016 at 05:25 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-22-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Are you selling the DS XMX shocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode