User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
New Kid with Left Rear suspension issue

Howdy, I just bought a '08 700XX. First thing after getting it home was to put it on a lift and start going through it. The question I have concerns the left rear wheel. The upper a-arm contacts the wheel rim when the machine is off the ground. There is clearance when on the ground but the left arm is noticeably closed to the wheel than the right one is. There are no obviously loose bushings and nothing seems bent. Has anyone seen this? Do I have a big problem?

Sorry, I have a photo but for some reason it will not upload. It has been down sized to be well below the attachment key specs but no go. Hopefully the description is enough to form a mental picture. I will keep working on the picture upload.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
sounds like a bent wheel.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Yes, that was my first take. Swapping with the right wheel made no difference.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Garage
I don't think it should touch even with shock off and quad jacked up. Seams like it has to be a a-arm or wheel issue. Are you running the oem 11" wheels? I have 10" dwt/omf reinforced on my one quad. They are close, but don't touch. Try jacking quad up a few inches off the ground. And start quad put in gear. And hold hand inside wheel, to feel if it's out of round.

I purchased a used set of dwt/omf reinforced rear wheels off ebay. They looked nice. Until I put them on the quad. They wouldn't even spin freely w/out hitting the upper arm.

As far as pictures go link from 3rd party site. Or upload from tapatalk app is best for me.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I should look at mine, because I think mine actually rub as well but I can't remember right now. Never looked at it more to see if it was rim or arm that was bent. If you switched rims, then I'm not sure how it could be the rim.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM

Garage
Unless both wheels are pancaked...

Last edited by M_Quick; 01-10-2017 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
But it sounds like it's only happening on the left for him.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbauer View Post
But it sounds like it's only happening on the left for him.

That's true!

post #9 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Possible problem ID

I have been through this thing over and over. Removed the sway bar which turned out to be an 11/16" L8ton, disconnected the shock an pushed, pulled pried every pivot point and bearing on the whole left rear side. I can see nothing worn, loose or bent. The tires are original equipment so the assumption was the wheels are also but maybe not? Both wheels hit the a-arm only on the left side and only when the machine is off the ground. I took and mounted them on the front to spin freely and there was no wobble. They are Honda 11" wheels but there is no part number stamped on them. I cannot find the factory offset specs. Can anybody help with that?

Such is the challenge with buying used equipment. I am the third owner and just brought it home days ago. The left side fenders are pretty scared up so it might have been rolled onto that side. Still I cannot see any evidence of suspension damage. Could I have the wrong wheels?

It most likely is not the wheels. Upon closer inspection, the inside front bearing on that a-arm is shot. If that is not THE problem it certainly is A problem. Now to decide on replacing the a-arm bearings or the whole a-arm assembly. I will post pictures if I get time to set up an external site. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Technoholic; 01-10-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: New info
post #10 of 18 Old 01-10-2017, 07:06 PM

Garage
Getting rdy to drop my son off for deployment so I really can't chk much but I think wheels are 5:2 or so. Factory wheels should have all kinds of clearance!

Last edited by M_Quick; 01-10-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode