Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

2008/09 700xx Oil Change

145K views 202 replies 78 participants last post by  tbird88 
#1 · (Edited)
This is an informational guide on how to change the oil on your 2008 700xx. You should consult your ATV repair manual for actual instructions as your quad may vary.

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE FILTER COVER BOLTS...YOU WILL BREAK THEM.

You will need:

A large oil pan

A 1/4" drive ratchet

A 3/8" drive ratchet

A 6" 3/8" drive extension

A 8 mm socket

A 14 mm wrench

A 17 mm socket

For those of you who would like to play along at home please view Chapter 4-12.

The 1st thing that the manual tells you to do is 1st warm up the quad, normally I wouldn't do this but since I'm writing this guide and don't want to half-ass it...I did.

After warming it up a few minutes, turn it off and remove the main engine drain bolt with your 6" drive and 17 mm socket.

Left loosy, righty tighty.

Then go around the "passenger" front of the quad and loosen the bolt with your 14 mm wrench. (you could use a socket, I couldn't find mine)

Once you remove both bolts the oil should drain pretty easily. Make sure that you have washers for BOTH BOLTS.

As you can see one has fallen off and is in the pan of the 2nd picture.

Next the manual asks that you remove the filter cover. You will need your 1/4" ratchet and your 8mm socket.

Once you have it removed you should see the filter read "this side and spring towards engine" written on the filter. (if it's a Honda filter, others may not) As you can see I'm being anal once again and putting the bolts in the pattern for which they were removed from the quad. The background reason is that if for some reason a wacky engineer decided to put coarse threaded bolts next to fine threaded bolts..you get the idea.

I decided to wipe out the inside of this area just to see how dirty the oil was in there. Not too bad!

Now make sure you put the filter in correctly again, check this over and over again to be safe.

It all goes back in...finger tight 1st to make sure I haven't cross-threaded anything.

After tightening down the 8mm bolts it's time to put the other drain bolts in. I normally wipe the bolts down to be sure I'm not putting dirt inside the motor as part of this process.

Now romove the dipstick and put the oil in.

It's easy with a funnel with a tube on it.

1.8 US quarts should be all you need according to the guide.

After assemby I check all my bolts to make sure I didn't brain fart and skip one. After that I start it up and let it warm up. After it's warm I check the oil to make sure it's where it's supposed to be.

You're done!

See less See more
#6 ·
EW thats some dirty looking oil!

My dealer does all my services though... atleast for the next 3 years or 300 hours.

#9 ·
So, I went to the local Honda dealer which I bought my 700xx. I asked for an oil filter for my quad, and changed the oil/filter. After doing so, I got a bad feeling that I needed to check the oil filter part number to make sure that I had the correct oil filter. The filter I installed fit perfectly and I have no idea why I got a bad feeling about it but I found that the part number should be 15410-KF0-315. This info came from the following website: http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem.php?make=HONDA&type=ATV&model=TRX700XX&year=2008&groupId=80570. The oil filter part number I was given reads 15412-HM5-A10. I was wondering for any of you that change your own oil if you could check what part number yours is on the package. I'm quite worried that I may have the incorrect filter.

#33 ·
So, I went to the local Honda dealer which I bought my 700xx. I asked for an oil filter for my quad, and changed the oil/filter. After doing so, I got a bad feeling that I needed to check the oil filter part number to make sure that I had the correct oil filter. The filter I installed fit perfectly and I have no idea why I got a bad feeling about it but I found that the part number should be 15410-KF0-315. This info came from the following website: http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem.php?make=HONDA&type=ATV&model=TRX700XX&year=2008&groupId=80570. The oil filter part number I was given reads 15412-HM5-A10. I was wondering for any of you that change your own oil if you could check what part number yours is on the package. I'm quite worried that I may have the incorrect filter.
I was given part 15412-HM5-A10 Also.

#11 ·
I have googled it and I cannot find any that list the XX on it for this part number. I'm going give my dealer a call but I don't completely trust them because they have already given me an incorrect air filter for the XX.

#17 ·
I just spoke with my dealer and he gave me the same part number of oil filter as I bought from them. He also told me that Honda uses the same oil filters in all their quads. I don't get why there are different part numbers but it seems that they should be okay.

#22 ·
I'm getting ready for my first oil change. Great write-up Scuzz.
One question, the Honda Repair manual mentions changing the wire-mesh filter in the oil hose connector. Is this something that needs to be done on a regular basis with the oil changes? It seems a little more complicated because it says to use a special kind of solvent to clean (flash solvent?) and then use canned air to blow dry.

#23 ·
THANKS!

The Honda Manual only mentions "If cleaning of each oil strainer is required (in oil tank; page 4-14. in crankcase: page 5-4) perform it before filling."

I haven't heard of anyone changing these even on the 400EX's unless the engine was letting serious amounts of metal shavings in the oil...then you probably have bigger issues than taking the screen out and cleaning it.

#24 ·
Funnel with a tube!!! If you have not changed your oil yet, make sure you have one. My first attempt was with a cheap filter with about a 1-1/2" nipple on the end, and I was spilling oil because the funnel had to fit in at an angle and could still barely reach. Before my next oil change I will definitely be using a different funnel.

#26 ·
True that. Use a smaller 1/4-inch drive if you are using a torque wrench. Believe me.

#28 ·
That was just plain stupidity on my part. Still can't believe I did it. I did feel a little better after the mechanics at the shop said that they also had sheared off case bolts with a torque wrench. The good news is they assured me it would be ready by Friday so I can still go on my ride.

Impressive sig by the way, I didn't even realize what it was until I looked at it a couple of times.

#29 ·
Yeah, I've done it before on intake bolts when I was working on my SBC in my teens. It's easy to do with a torque wrench. It's a horrible feeling though when that bolt lets go and the force gets less and less.

I stole the sig off another site and customized it - I'm not that big of a nerd to be able to make that on my own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.