Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site, and I have a 400ex that I stuffed an xr650r into. The stock bore is 100mm, and I can get a 102.5mm kit that puts it at 680. Since the top ends are so similar to the xx, I bought a 700 cylinder, to start off at 686. The only mod I have to do to get the cylinder to work for me, is put an "aluminum gasket" of sorts, to space the cylinder upwards a bit. I already have those measurements, and I'm getting ready to mock it up on my spare motor. Since I already have a 680 xr jug, I want the xx to be bored out to a 105mm. I've only seen a few kits, but haven't found any good info on whether or not the stock sleeve can handle a 105. I'm going to use the xr head, and the xr rod and bottom end. Finding a 105 piston for the xr shouldn't be an issue, I am just trying to find out whether I need to resleeve or not.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I have not a clue. But good luck in your awesome endeavor!

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I am curious about this setup , as I thought the coolant passages where slightly differant at the front of the cylinder ?
Do they meet up on the front dowl ?
I am only going off pics and would like to know. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are little differences, but when they are together, it will still work fine. The biggest difference between the two cylinders, besides the size of course, is the weight. Just by holding them side by side I would have to guess that the xx jug weighs at least twice as much as the xr's. The xr doesn't have a steel sleeve though, it is nikasil coated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any that are for the xx yet, so I don't have that answer. Being away from home for school slows down my bike building a lot. I'll know in about a week when I get it all together

·
Registered
49 Posts
Call alba directly and ask, they are grat guys and have this answer. I can't remember off the top of my head but i did ask this question to them when i dropped my bike off a couple months ago and they had a answer.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The stock sleeve in the XX cylinder will go 105mm but I wouldnt trust it. I would send it off to White Knuckle for thier resleeve job and reinforcement of the top of the cylinder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw what White Knuckle does, but I'm wondering how neccesary the reinforcing really is. If I could get away with just a resleeve, without the reinforcements I can get it done at a wayyyy better price than what they want for it.
And I'm also wondering about the Alba port job on the xr head. I've seen your thread Bo, and it looks very nice, but a little pricey. I can imagine they aren't doing the things you did on that XXX portjob, but a comparison would be nice from someone who actually had Alba do it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I do a +1 port on the XX cylinder head. I just throw XR intake valves in and port the cylinder head accordingly.
I just honed a reinforced cylinder, it moved around .0005" while I was honing, dont want to know how much one thats not reinforced moves around.....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
hey u finaly joined lol...
and again nice job with the trx650ex...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks. It actually just won QOTM on the other forum today.
But back on topic. Alba port compared to Bo's, White Knuckles reinforcements, and after making some calls, I now have to find someone who makes an xr piston in a 105....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The shots by the water are at Coos Bay, the other still shots were at Glamis, and the drag race was at Pismo Beach. Oh, and the recent one is in my driveway

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.