Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tooth sprocket is the stock sprocket?? What is the advantage of going to the 13 tooth?? My bike is stock right now and I have not even completed the break in yet but was wondering when typical maintenance was performed, I know what the books says and I know most do not follow the manufacturers advice. Should I get the valves adjusted?? How frequent with the oil changes?? My plan is to clean/Oil the air filter every 10 hours max, is this interval OK as I usually ride in front:hey: ?? Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
The stock is 14t. There are a lot of people on here who love the 13t. I am not one of them but it is to each there own. I would check the air filter every time you ride. It is very easy to clean and you would be surprised how much it will help your motor. I would get the valves checked when you get the oil replaced. It isn't that much more time and the last thing you want to do is suck a valve. The other thing I would pay particular attention to is the Valve guides. When we pulled the head on ours we had several that were cracked and needed to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Technical climbing 13 tooth for sure. If you race maybe not so much.

I've had mine since it came out and just have done the normal maintenance (oil changes, filter changes, filter cleaning and a plug replacement). I have had a CV boot tear, but that was done under warranty.
I change my oil after two rides no matter what. I clean my air filter no matter what after each ride. I've packed the steering stem with grease after about 10 rides

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ride for about 10 hours, change the oil, adjust the valves .006 intake and .008 exhaust. air filter everytime you ride. Loose valves will rattle and cause loss of power, To "suck a valve" you would have to over speed the engine. stock front is 14t, Chuck and I run a 15t but we are putting out some serious horsepower. Send me a message if you are interested in a pipe, header and fuel controller set up

·
Registered
528 Posts
i plan to change my oil every 2 tanks, 3 at the most. i have some spare time so i clean the filter after every ride along with washing and waxing the plastics..as far as valves, i didnt know after 10 hours they need adjustment so im going to have to check into that.

·
Registered
667 Posts
after the first 10 hours, but it will not hurt every 10

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
eBay will help you get another manual

·
Registered
425 Posts
Im going to one up you all and get a 12 tooth......

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Chuck and I run a 15t but we are putting out some serious horsepower. Send me a message if you are interested in a pipe, header and fuel controller set up
But just to be clear if you're (the collective you) doing technical climbs all the horsepower in the world is useless if it causes wheel spin or loops your quad on a steep and rocky climb or you're having to feather the clutch and the throttle to modulate the amount of RPM's, torque and horsepower.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Use Honda Oil. Or atleast motorcycle oil, but Honda oil is generally just about as cheap. The manual says 100 hours of riding....thats a whole lot of riding. I change mine every 10-20 depending on what im doing. Leisure riding more toward 20, racing where I am constantly high in the RPMs, every 10.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
i lost my manual and im not sure what oil the 700 needs...can someone please help me out?
If you need a manual... PM me with an address and I'll mail you mine. No charge... I don't use it anyway.

roadkill

·
Registered
667 Posts
But just to be clear if you're (the collective you) doing technical climbs all the horsepower in the world is useless if it causes wheel spin or loops your quad on a steep and rocky climb or you're having to feather the clutch and the throttle to modulate the amount of RPM's, torque and horsepower.
I am with you SCUZZ but with the amount of torque I have even with a 14t I have to shift way too fast, I can let the clutch out at idle with my 15t and it will pull along w/o stalling. I do understand what you are saying about a stock motor and trail riding.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I am with you SCUZZ but with the amount of torque I have even with a 14t I have to shift way too fast, I can let the clutch out at idle with my 15t and it will pull along w/o stalling. I do understand what you are saying about a stock motor and trail riding.
Even without a stock motor, I've got a slipon, lid, filter and PCV. I know it's not a firebreathing monster, but it's no slouch. With paddle tires you'll bog and it'll drive you nuts.

With trail tires and not on a technical trail, I can totally agree with you.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
When my bike was stock I noticed the stalling issue in first. When I installed the big 3 I used a powerbomb header also and you could crawl up hills in first idling. Did the header make that big of a difference on my bike or will a Big 3 bike without header do the same?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I dont have tons of seat time on the xx but from what i felt 1st and 2nd were way to short even with the 15T (on david and chucks bikes) then it seems like 3rd and 4th are almost 2 tall i would think having a 13-14T on there bikes would make 1st almost unusable and 2nd pretty close to it. I havent even ridden a completly stock xx and also not sure of the ratio from 2-3-4 but it feels like there is a gap in there that isnt going to make it easy to find the perfect gearing easy for all situations.

I usually prefer making some TQ and gearing up then you can lug the higher gear

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ill say I've been doing alot of climbing on my first few rides and alot of technical stuff and i am always always always having to slip/ride the clutch to either keep from stalling or flipping over seems like no happy medium for the technical stuff so i also decided to try the 13 tooth sprocket, will see how it goes next time out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey does anybody know the difference in top speed between then 14t and the 13t?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts