Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS AMAZING! Alot more low end torque and all I can really say is its VERY snappy now. Quads completely stock, but I replaced the 14t with a 13t today and i'll be hitting the trails tomorrow. Ready to Rock and Roll!:yay:

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
How much trouble was it to change?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How much trouble was it to change?

VERY easy. It was also VERY easy to adjust the chain. We spent an hour doing my buddy's YFZ450 and I was done with the sprocket change and adjustment in 15 minutes.

Sprocket Replacement -
1. Set the quad up on its rear bumper... nose straight up in the air.
2. There is a plastic skid plate with 3 - 10mm bolts. Remove that. Careful you don't pull the hose off the motor.
3. You will immediately see the sprocket. Pull the bolt out of the end of it (18mm? I dont really remember that size)
4. Slide the sprocket off the end of the output shaft and out of the chain.
5. Slide new sprocket on the output shaft and replace the bolt. I dont know how tight to get that bolt, but I dont remember mine being very tight. I put mine on tighter than it was to come out.
6. Put the skid plate back on with the rubber hose and put the quad back on all 4's.

Chain Adjustment.
1. Refer to owners manual. :D

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Yup, My first trail ride I caught hell on up hill starts and so on, but the next ride the bike seemed to have loosened up a bit and things got easier. The third ride I had the big three on it and it made a HUGE difference in low speed crawls. Seems like when I first had the bike it would not even idle in first gear, now I can take off with no throttle in first and creep along

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I will have dyno results Jan 20th with the big 3 and a ported TB and head! CANT WAIT!!!! Even the guys at the dyno said they were excited to finally get one in.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bet it made a HUGE difference crawling up the rocks huh!
The difference was unreal.

When people start doing internal mods they will be going to the 15t to kill some of the torque.
Maybe so... but for now, its like i put 4.10 gears in it and i really like it!

That depends on the purpose. For rock crawling/ technical trails not so much.

Also for the sand (depending on the tires) not so much either.
Agreed.

Yup, My first trail ride I caught hell on up hill starts and so on, but the next ride the bike seemed to have loosened up a bit and things got easier. The third ride I had the big three on it and it made a HUGE difference in low speed crawls. Seems like when I first had the bike it would not even idle in first gear, now I can take off with no throttle in first and creep along
I agree 100% Its definitely faster the 2nd time than the 1st time.

I will have dyno results Jan 20th with the big 3 and a ported TB and head! CANT WAIT!!!! Even the guys at the dyno said they were excited to finally get one in.
I just want the big 3 right now. Reading everyone's stories about the power increases have me excited about that!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's it, I'm ordering mine tomorrow.
You will NOT regret it. Besides, if you dont like it the sprocket is 28 from the dealer and 15 online. Also only takes 15 minutes to swap. VERY easy.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Where did you get yours from?

I went to Al Lamb Honda (when I lived in Plano) and they said it would take two weeks to order it. They didn't know at the time that the sprocket was the same as a 450r (until I told them) They also didn't even know the corredct oil filter I should have....wanted me to bring my 700xx in so they could open it up and check the part number.

Um....no.

Rocky Mountain ATV here I come...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where did you get yours from?

I went to Al Lamb Honda (when I lived in Plano) and they said it would take two weeks to order it. They didn't know at the time that the sprocket was the same as a 450r (until I told them) They also didn't even know the corredct oil filter I should have....wanted me to bring my 700xx in so they could open it up and check the part number.

Um....no.

Rocky Mountain ATV here I come...
I got mine from DFW Honda. They had it in stock, Renthal Part # 253-520-13GP

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You get dumb looks for free at Al Lamb.
I have had nothing a 100% positive experience with DFW Honda in Grapevine, TX so far. Very friendly, always helpful.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
It seems to me that the 13T would make first almost useless unless you were rock crawling. 1st is awfully short as it is. How much did it affect 1st thru 3rd? 3rd is where the problem is on the XX. Please, more info!

Did your pipe/efi/air mods affect your bottom end, or the bogging in 3rd gear?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems to me that the 13T would make first almost useless unless you were rock crawling. 1st is awfully short as it is. How much did it affect 1st thru 3rd? 3rd is where the problem is on the XX. Please, more info!

Did your pipe/efi/air mods affect your bottom end, or the bogging in 3rd gear?
I'm 100% Stock right now, except the sprocket.

1st is short. When we were draggin in the sand, i was starting in 2nd, and putting 3 links on my buddy's YFZ450 (full bolt ons and a 13.5:1 piston) We only got a couple races and he did beat me once, but then his clutch cable broke. Shoulda bought a Honda. :D

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Yeah the stock gearing is way too tall for climbs and whatnot.

About a month ago I went on a ride that had a pretty steep climb that the rock crawling trucks would go up. There was no run-up room and literally 3' of "launch" area that consisted of marble sized gravel that went 50' up then turned to rock with powdery fine...and I mean fine dirt on top of that.

I launched OK and made it 2/3 of the way up. I caught sudeent traction near the top which threw my fron end in the air, I let off...and killed it. I crabbed the clutch and locked the front brakes as I slid down the hill backwards...into a tree.

No damage, but if I would have had some lower gearing I would have been able to manage the power a lot better and not have excessive wheel spin so when the tires grabbed the quad wouldn't want to loop on top of me.

In the sand (with stock tires) it's not so bad because you really need the stock tires to spin through the sand. Once I get paddles though it will be back to needing a lower (smaller) front sprocket.

I did the same thing when I had my 400EX and made it up stuff the the 4x4 guys would go around. (momentum and throttle control is everything....)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, trails are amazing on this quad. I'll leave every 2wd SRA quad behind. See ya raptors!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The stock front on the Raptor 700 is a 14t too and there are 15t and 16t readily available and talks of a 17t that needs mods done to the case. Some raptor guys are going with different rear sprocket hubs to run 33t rears(38t is stock). Mine is a 70hp build and has has 15t/36t setup and love it for MX with 18" tires. When I put my stock 20s on I swap to the stock 38t.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.