Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried looking at other threads but didn't see quite what I was looking for

I have a 13t sprocket coming in soon I plan to combine with the stock 22" dirt tires for technical trail riding

For sand though I have 20" tires. Which gear would you recommend for dunes/sand riding? Should I stick with the 13t (and ignore first gear) or go back to the 14t when doing sand?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would say that the 13t with 20's in sand is not gonna work well... I run a 13t in sand but with 22's and I love it.

PM Scuzz cause I believe he has some experience with 20's and a 13t in the sand and I'm pretty sure he said it was terrible and he was digging ditches everywhere in the sand. So my guess is ur gonna want the 14t with 20's in the sand... Get some 22's for the sand then put that 13t on and u will be in the same heaven I'm in. But the 14t with 20's will prolly be sweet as well...

·
Registered
199 Posts
i have the stock 14 tooth with 20" razr 2s on the rear. i love it. more accelaration and more traction. ive never tired paddle tires...hope this helps

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have the stock 14 tooth with 20" razr 2s on the rear. i love it. more accelaration and more traction. ive never tired paddle tires...hope this helps
paddle tires make a huge difference in sand... but like i mentioned before, imho the 14t with 20" paddles should be ok... check with scuzz tho because i am pretty sure he has some experience with 20" paddles and im pretty sure he was ditch digging everywhere and stepped up to 22" paddles...

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have a 13t and use 22" Razrs for trails and just change to 22" Sand Stars mounted on ITP C5 rims for the dunes. Tires are 22x11x12 and rims are 12x7. The 12" C5 rims clear the mud scraper so you don't even need to remove it. You end up with the same 22" diameter and the same gearing you already had.
The sandstars are very similiar to the tire I already have, but I was saying I already bought 20" ones (so not going back on that now) and was wondering what sprocket (13/14) to go with

I've never ridden in sand before either. I'll stick with the stock one then, was just wondering how the 13t did (with 20" sand paddles)

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
What kind of paddles do you have for the sand? How well do they hook up? Since they are 20's I'd prolly stick with the 14 tooth depending on your motor setup. With the 14 tooth, big 3 and some paddles that hooked I bogged on some climbs where I had to play with the throttle.

13 tooth and 20's seemed WAY too low for me, but the paddles I had were total shit so that may have been part of the problem.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of paddles do you have for the sand? How well do they hook up? Since they are 20's I'd prolly stick with the 14 tooth depending on your motor setup. With the 14 tooth, big 3 and some paddles that hooked I bogged on some climbs where I had to play with the throttle.

13 tooth and 20's seemed WAY too low for me, but the paddles I had were total shit so that may have been part of the problem.
My bikes stock so far. The paddles are an offbrand (can't remember the name >.<) I got a good deal on, and look almost identical to the ITP Sand Star tires except they don't have that tiny little wing in front of the larger paddle

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
buddy has STOCK TREX 700 14 tooth and skat trak extremes 20" 8 paddle and he had good luck this past week end but I didnt ride it so not sure how good it really was since he wouldnt race me and it was his first time in the sand

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
buddy has STOCK TREX 700 14 tooth and skat trak extremes 20" 8 paddle and he had good luck this past week end but I didnt ride it so not sure how good it really was since he wouldnt race me and it was his first time in the sand
This brings up a good point that I didn't speak to earlier. Heavy and wet sand it will bog for sure, in dry/flowy sand it might be just fine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
330 Posts
he actually had good luck in both conditions it rained and we rode and then it dried up and we rode, he never got stuck as far as I know, Next time we go I will try to ride his quad to see how it is.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, But Im really thinking Front sand tires would help alot, I plan on getting some. If you dont care about taking a airfield to turn around in then it doesn't matter

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
he actually had good luck in both conditions it rained and we rode and then it dried up and we rode, he never got stuck as far as I know, Next time we go I will try to ride his quad to see how it is.
Not getting stuck is 90% rider when in the sand I could go all kinds of places and go all kinda stuff on my stock tires with no problems. You just have to know how to take off.

It was my experience that 22" and a 14 tooth bogged when the tires would hook at low RPM on a climb. If the tires slip then you'll be find with a stocker and 14 IIRC.

·
Registered
330 Posts
well I guess the 22" sand stars and the Big 3 is very good cause i never had sand tires before this and been twice and never been stuck, but i guess I have never been stuck before lol maybe I am just lucky? Or that I just go WIDE OPEN THROTTLE MOST OF THE TIME

·
Registered
446 Posts
I run a 20" Skat trac Hauler paddle with my 13t sprocket I find for me it works very well, maybe if I weighed a bit less I would be able to climb with a 14t sprocket but right now the 13t works best for me.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I have ran 20 inch itp sandstars on the rear with a 13t. im with scuzz i started with the 13t and went back to the 14t because i didnt like the range in the sand. but its all about hat feels good to you. i will tell you when i ride the sand its 14t with haulers. and 13t on terrain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have ridden in the sand with the stock tires and the 13t and it felt perfect. any smaller of rears, and it would feel too low, at least for me. with 20" rears, it will pretty much make 1st gear useless. id either stick with the 14t and 20" or 13t and 22".

·
Registered
330 Posts
i have ridden in the sand with the stock tires and the 13t and it felt perfect. any smaller of rears, and it would feel too low, at least for me. with 20" rears, it will pretty much make 1st gear useless. id either stick with the 14t and 20" or 13t and 22".
I TOTALLY AGREE :xx:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up going with the 14t my first time out, and was planning on trying the 13t just for the sake of it the next day but it felt perfect the way it was so I didnt

1 - 20 of 29 Posts