Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took the XX out on it's first ride this past weekend and had an absolute blast. That is until I unloaded it yesterday morning. Oil has been leaking on the right side of the bike. It had run down the outside of the case and also down the back towards the rear of the bike.

I checked my oil level after a 20mile ride on Friday and it was a little over half way on the dip stick.....the same place it was after changing the oil and putting in a little over 2 quarts on Thursday night. Saturday was an 87 mile ride. When I checked the oil yesterday, it was very close to where it had been before the ride so I know it didn't leak very much oil. But, it did leak. It's brand new and it's not supposed to leak. I knew I smelled oil throughout the day on Saturday but I thought it was a Polaris leaking.

So, any thoughts or has anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Somebody else posted about this and it ended up being the dip stick cap. I guess somewhere back in time someone forgot to put the O ring seal on the cap and it was leaking from there. Check that. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I wouldn't think the actual case is leaking. Check where the oil lines connect to the motor. You can pull them if you need to check the O-ring. Also look around the filter cover, It's o-ring's aswell.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if you are on the right side looking straight at the motor at the cover that has Honda written on it, the oil was from about 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock and had run down towards the rear of the machine. There was no oil residue around the oil filter cover or around any of the lines or towards the front of the machine. The crankcase breather tube is in the area where the oil was, but it didn't seem to be coming from there.

It doesn't take much oil to make a big mess and I don't believe it leaked a lot.....but it did leak. I'm going to call my local dealer and let them look at it. I would hate for a small leak to turn into a big problem.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Valve covers, The small one's. The dealer may not have tightened them back when they ran the valves.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it's around the valve area. The oil was down the front of this brown cover that says Honda on it. It was approximately in the area I've circled in white. It had run down the left side of the cover and down the back side of the engine. It was also all the way back towards the center line of the engine. The crankcase breather tube is back there but it didn't seem to be coming from it.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
That is your Clutch housing cover. There is an O-Ring on that as well. Do you have all those bolts? And are they all tight? If you have the time, I would take it back to the shop and tell them to check it out. I mean, it is probably a seal, which is an easy fix, but they should do it for free, and I would make sure they know to CLEAN the bike afterwards, and get all the oil residue off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called the dealership closest to me and they said to bring it on in and they would be glad to do the warranty work on it even though I didn't buy it there. I bought the quad from a place 3hrs away because this dealership didn't have any leftover '08s. I buy all of my oil, filters and misc. supplies there and bought my son a CRF 50 there last summer. Hopefully the fact that I didn't buy the quad there won't become an issue.

The reason I say that is because as soon as I finished describing the problem the guy proceeded to tell me that if they find signs that I've abused the quad (he went down a laundry list of abuses) that the warranty would not cover it and the repairs would come out of my own pocket. I'm guessing he's just being up front and honest because I'm sure some people expect to be able to trash a quad in every conceivable way and it still be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Did you get the extended warranty? I bought one with the quad and it pretty much covers anything. Even if I go off a monster jump and crack the frame it is covered. I have it all in writing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I bought the extended warranty that runs through Feb of 2014. I just dropped it off and don't have a great feeling. I also asked them to check the front end because, to be honest, it almost feels like it needs a-arm bushings.....it just feels lunky for lack of a better word. The abuse word came back up. Oh well.....we'll see. I hate the stigma that sport quad riders have that we beat the hell out of everything.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I bought the same exact one. I also have it fully insured for whatever the warranty doesn't cover.
What insurance did you get? I still haven't gotten to that. What else does it cover?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update:

Called my dealership this morning 3 weeks after having dropped it off. I was told they hadn't started it but might start on it "in a couple or so days". I was then told that if I had bought it there that they might "have gotten to it quicker".

It's in the back of my truck right now. I called the dealership where I bought it and they said the can start on it right away. Our truck driver here at work is going to make the 3hr trip down there for me tomorrow.

I hope to get to ride again this summer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts