Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any opinions on pro's and con's on going to 20" tires on the rear?

I would get be more stable and lower gearing giving alittle more torque but then IRS is a 1" lower to the ground? Yes I know we have lots of ground clearance but not at the hubs
I don't ride around rocks, I'm talking about knobbies not sand tires

·
Registered
284 Posts
If your not doing any hardcore trail riding I would go with 20's. If you plan on going out and trying to climb through rock beds and over stumps, then go with 22's. I recently put 20's on mine and would never think about putting 22's on. To each his own.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If your not doing any hardcore trail riding I would go with 20's. If you plan on going out and trying to climb through rock beds and over stumps, then go with 22's. I recently put 20's on mine and would never think about putting 22's on. To each his own.
X 100000000 I even have the 13 tooth sprocket and it drastically improves the snappiness and i still have mad clearance!! I really sont know why honda went with the rim and tire combo they did? Stock looks whack wher the back is like a 70s muscle car with bigger in back. Just my .02 i absolutely love the 20's:xx:

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Anyone have any opinions on pro's and con's on going to 20" tires on the rear?

I would get be more stable and lower gearing giving alittle more torque but then IRS is a 1" lower to the ground? Yes I know we have lots of ground clearance but not at the hubs
I don't ride around rocks, I'm talking about knobbies not sand tires
Pro's 20" . Lots of tyre choices and more stability.
Con's 20". Makes the rear alot wider
Depending on tyre width , It could be anywhere from 20" to
22" in diameter .

Running a stock motor then go to a 13t front sprocket. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the 20's in the rear and am going to add the 14t for a more usable power band. Love the look and the grip of the 20 in the rear but I did gain a good 1-2in of width. Love the set up and topped it out at 81mph! I think would be closer to 85mph with the stock height rears or the 14t. Should know in the next week or two. FYI ran my friends raptor 700r with big 3 vs my barker 700xx and we both were even and topped out at 81mph with him having lead on the uphill races. He added 1 tooth bigger sprocket and we ran again and this time he was a good 7-10 bikes ahead on the same road etc 1 week later.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So 20" rears but what front sprocket you all running with 20" tires? Top speed? Big 3 and 20" rears? I don't ride rocky trails wider in the back is ok with me

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Here is a chart that I put together for my bike when looking at tires and gearing. It is based on my top speed with 22" rears 13/39 gearing and Barker EHS big 3. I am not even sure what all rear sprockets are out there but I put some on there anyway. Also, the numbers after 83 are pretty unrealistic unless you got some serious ponies.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks!!!
Rear tire size and correct front sprocket
22" tires go 13t sprocket
20" tires go 14t sprocket

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm back with a old thread.

I'm now running stock sprocket (14-39) and 20in rear. So i lost around 10km/h on top speed. If i want to back around the stock top speed (130km/h) can i put a 15t on front?? I'm totally stock.

And second question, this is the same sprocket than 450r??

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm running 21s in the back, and running 39R with 15F, IF i go with Razr2s 20s, I'm going to bump up the front to a 16, granted you have to take or mod the case saver, but it makes it a totally different bike IMO with a 15F from a 14F, plus i like speed and no its not sluggish or bogs down at any RPM, just got to get use to pulling out with it, thats all.

Friend of mine had the 13T on, we raced on the Uk road, stayed with him all the way thru untill i hit 5th gear, he was maxed when i hit 5th, so it was like adding another gear in the bike, he couldnt believe how fast and quick it was with the 15 on.. so needless to say a week later he got one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A 15 tooth front and stock rear is a little more top end than 14 tooth with 22's and yes the front sprocket is the same as the trx450r all years

·
Registered
127 Posts
My new '08 has a 37 as stock on the rear and 14 on the front.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
So who has the fastest GPS'd on anything but asphalt and concrete XX?

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
So who has the fastest GPS'd on anything but asphalt and concrete XX?
5WOP3,

58.1 for me last ride @ Tar Hollow. This was on a dirt/gravel trail with elevation changes and nice turns. It took me like 4 runs to get better than 53 mph. It seamed like I was going a lot faster. I seldom get out of 3rd gear on the trails, buy this was in 5th. I hit the rev limiter the 1st run in 4th gear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts