Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

$2200/ Elka stage 3 all around vs fox Evol front and podium rear

11K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  markas214 
#1 · (Edited)
My decision=FOX!!/ Elka stage 3 all around vs fox Evol front and podium rear

I'm about to pull the trigger and have it narrowed down to the choice above. Opinions?

#2 ·
Bro I have the Evol Podium set up and its excellent not to mention it looses some weight of the 700xx.

#3 · (Edited)
Get Elkas. You wont regret it.

My buddy would agree. He has that same fox setup you are wondering about and he wishes he had gotten Elka like me.

#4 ·
Everyone I know has sent there Elkas back to be resprung or revalved or both. Didnt have the same problem with my Fox set up.

#5 ·
yeah I agree I like thew fox set up on mine and mustangGH only wishes he would have bought the cheap set he let you buy because their already set once the fox are dialed in they will be fine hes just mad he has to work to get them right

so I would recommend fox all the way yeah you have to work at it to get them dialed in to your riding style but they are nice shocks

#7 ·
I don't see the big deal about adjustability.

If mine came with no adjustability and were set up from the factory for my weight/riding style I'd be fine with that. My Elka's were pre set when I got them and I have yet to touch one of the adjustments. It feels just fine to me and I don't see any reason to screw with them.

#8 ·
I don't see the big deal about adjustability.
Different riding types. Mx, enduro, dunes, trails, technical rock climbs, some may prefer to be able to make adjustments for this.

I personally don't care, I'm happy with stock. lol

#14 ·

A set up for MX would be different than one for XC. It is my opinion that if you have shocks that can be adjusted for different riding conditions and don't take advantage of these adjustments, you're wasting lots of money.
I have Elkas (stage 2+ front, stage 3 rear) and use my adjustments all the time for different riding conditions.
BTW - Stage 3's are about $1,195.00 per set (2) = About $2,390.00 for all 4 plus shipping.

roadkill

#9 ·
I just went though the same issue. I like the fox's but the air shock had me concerned how long they last. And that if some how a seal blows I could be stuck miles from the truck with a limp wheel. So the reliability of a spring based system won my vote. I got my stage 3's last week and just put them on.
My guess either way you'll be happy.

#11 ·
I can get the Fox shocks for $1345 front and $845 rear. Is that a good deal or a great deal?

#15 ·
I paid $500 for my whole set so I didn't waste any money getting the extra adjustments. I will just never mess with them because I like how it rides as it is.

#16 ·
thats a good deal for the elkas. i would recomend trying to go with some long arms in the front too(houser textera roll) and long travle shocks. you cant do it later because the shocks wont work and its so much nicer having more travle and the extra with not to mention all the adjustment. i love my stage 3 elkas! i paid $2700 for all four shocks and my houser arms.

#17 ·
Well not everyone can run extended arms. I can't because it wont fit in my truck, or through the trails with them. I have a hard enough time keeping it off the trees as is. (it's in the garage with a bent lower A arm.)

#18 ·
this is true there are some good reason why you could not use them. but mine does fin in the back of my short bed chevy fine. its just something to consider because you cant really go back later and do it. and the housers are only +1 its more for getting more travel and ground clearence.

#19 ·
Fox air shock have a bad rep for blowing seals in the UK. I prefer something with a spring so when I blow a seal (Elka s1) it is still able to finish the race. As for front LT a-arms and shock setup. I run +11/4 Teixeira Tech LT a-arms and 4:1 front rims and at approx 47" wide on the front. 4:1 rims on stock arms puts you at 44". I have a set of Motowoz LT fronts on order and cant wait to try them.

#22 ·
Boys, I have had Fox Evol and Podiums for about a year and done about 5000km and never had a problem with them. The advantage of the Evol is its so dam adjustable and that can frustrate some people. I spent atleast a month of playing around to get mine right. What I have found with this quad is you need to have the rear sorted before you play with the front because the rear has such a big effect on the overall handling of the 700xx body roll understeer etc.

#24 ·
If you are less than 200lbs and a weekend warrior , the stock rears are fine. If you are less than 200 lbs and an absolute warrior on the fast and rough stuff , they will suck ! The main problem with the suspension is the fronts were made for a 135 lb weekend warrior , Honda did this to lower the front end , along with the 21" front tyre to help out with "the push" on the front end . The XX was built for desert racing.IMO.

#25 ·
I agree 100%. I'm around 140lbs and my front elkas are very similar to stock but bottom out less and rebound isn't like a pogo stick. And the stock rear shocks are wayyy too stiff and the sway bar made it even more stiff but did corner better. I ride very aggressively and the rear bounced all the time. (and first sentance i think you mean more than 200lbs?)

#27 ·
I'd be curious how it would handle with float technology on the rear and podiums on the front...hmmm....floats and a sway bar could be interesting...talk about cadalliac ride...

#29 ·
They purposely don't put floats on the rear because they heat up more than coil shocks and would fade badly after a rough section.

#33 ·
If you get the Elka's, don't do this with them.

#34 ·
Call the guys at ishock. I just got mine. Stage 3, all fours for less than $2000. Plus these guys really know their stuff and will guide you through the details and answer any questions you may have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.