Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought the 400, it needs rings and a swingarm bolt. Out of the pile of parts I got that are the things I know I need. Well I wanna ask you guys who have them some questions. I have a white bros full exhaust and the rest of the big 3. My question is what would you do to the motor to have a nice reliable trail rig that will give a z400 fits. What should I replace or modify while it is in pieces. I have 2 other atvs so it doesn't matter when it gets done.

·
Registered
461 Posts
put a ims 440 kit an get the head ported an polish mine get as!!! forgot also got a new carb been a few years it will be a rocket

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
DO NOT GET A 440 kit!! Stick with a 416 or 426. They are more reliable and cause less vibrations throughout the bike. Do some sort of web cam with new rockers and valve springs and some port work. Stick with an 11:1 piston so you can keep it on pump gas and you will have a nice machine.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
416 kit, carb job, and call it good. The 440 isn't a bad kit, but are known to not be nearly as reliable as the 416. The 426 I'm not too familiar with, but my 416 ripped.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A bigger cam, 450R carb, 10 or 11:1 piston, plus the exhaust and filter it already has would be a great combo. That should be enough for a piped Z400, but if you think you'll need more then the 426 kit should be plenty.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Don't get a 440! It's not that they're unreliable, but they kinda are and get way too hot, too soon. If you want a trail quad, the 440 is not the way to go. I have a 426 on mine, and love it. A good cam will open it up real well. By the way, there's a kit on ebay (have to look for the link) for a bolt and bushings real cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Makes me wanna buy another 400ex! So much cheaper to build compared to the xx.
That all depends on what kind of parts you buy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That all depends on what kind of parts you buy.
Very true but parts for the 400ex are a dime a dozen which means you can usually find deals on parts. The XX parts are few and far between when it comes to deals.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
True true, parts availability is alot better for the 400ex and there are lots of things that are interchangable with other honda bikes.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a lot more options for it. I'm thinking 416 with a good cam and some headwork would be a decent build.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
And a flat slide carb.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got any links to said carb. This will probably take a while to get done. The new plastic is white, and since it is in pieces I am going to gusset the frame, haven't decided what color to paint. Gonna do new swingarm, long travel a arms, rpm dominator axle, would like to do someting with motor. Any body have pics of motor painted or polished or anything. Do they make dual exhaust for them. Lots of ideas right now.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
The BB idea does sound good. I had a 400ex with Stage 2 Hot Cam, Dyno jet kit, 11:1 piston and intake. I didn't have a bigger carb but I know you'll get more power for sure out of one! You can definitely take a Z400 with a SB build. I did, my friend had a z400 and from what I remember we were about even but I was faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts