Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep thats me lol. I have a stock 08 xx and I want to try racing nothing crazy.I been watching Baxters videos here is the thread

http://www.club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7438

No crazy jumps I like the small road coarse type of track like in his videos.now what would I need to do to my xx over this winter to have it ready and where in northeast ohio and surrounding areas can I find this kind of racing:rock:

thanks very much
mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmm after going over that thread and reading everything I dont think I could afford to do that lol. seems for racing it would be better to just get the 450r wouldnt it handle betther and cost less money to have it race ready

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mike what part of the country are you in? I'm also a 40's(47) year old fat guy. Don't even think about MX. Cross country is not bad but get out and ride ride ride. and not just ride but ride at "race pace" for 2 hours at a time. That's what most XC races are. Don't plan on being competitive the first time out, but with the XX it's a little easier to be competitive as a bigger guy than it is on an SRA. depending on what part of the country you are in, North east the woods are tighter and and tougher on an IRS quad. The other parts of the country the woods are a little more open and easier to be competitive with little experience with our XX's

·
Registered
101 Posts
just go out and have fun, you will know what you need as your skill demands,

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I would say if you are keeping it stock, I'd atleast get some nerf bars. Better tires possibly. Most races make you have a working Tether switch. Bark busters are also a good idea. That is the bare minimum I would do. IDK of anything in OH really. If you are into traveling and in NE Ohio, can come up to southern tier of NY for WNYOA, which is ranked #1 race series for dirtbikes and atvs in the country (not sure what category it is number 1 but it is for something), there is a race almost every weekend in the summer, and one of the races like this past weekends is a GNCC sanctioned event at Unadilla. Half of there races incorporate a small portion of MX tracks into the XC tracks. Lots of competitors, from 12 yrs old to 60, beginners to experts. Tracks are roughly 10 to 15 miles long. But as monkey said, just get out there and ride as hard as you can for 2 hours, it's the best practice you can get.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys, I am in mentor ohio, right on lake erie, I am close to pine lake, yankee lake and I am not to far from http://ramjamsportsplex.com/Home/tabid/570/Default.aspx.
After I decided not to trade for the 450 er I decided to put some money into my xx so I cashed out my vacation time and had 1500.00 and was in heaven looking and trying to figure out everything I needed to get, Then my son (24yrs) was really wanting a quad and he found a 05 400 ex for 1500 and I bought it for him on Friday.
I cant wait to get the new rims and tires on this it looks stupid with the 24" bear claws on it lol

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
Glad you're keeping the 700xx. I see you were thinking of selling it because of my post's. I've had mine since 2009 and tried alot of things, some were complete failures and some worked. It doesn't need alot of mods to make the 700xx alot better, I look at some of the stuff and think "why".lol.

Everything I tried and learnt , I would do differant next time around. Depending on you're weight but I would change for better tyres, upgrade the front shock, even Elka stage 1's are alot better than stock,then Ed's upper a arms. The rears I would get rebuilt. The only other parts ,I used in stock mode is Uni air filter ,EHS airbox lid and EHS programmer. I like stock motor ,exhaust setup.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Baxter, I really enjoy watching your videos. I will take ur advice, I have this winter to get it set up and I will take it to the indoor track to get used to it.I would only run in local races that are not to far. and the rest of my riding will be with all my friends on trails and where ever they ride. thanks again bro
mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts