Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a 4wd atv that still has some suspension and is somewhat sporty? I like the XX, but it was useless this winter. I'd be looking at something used so a few years old is fine.
thanks

·
Registered
755 Posts
Can am Renegade, Polaris Scrambler, Yamaha Wolverine 450, Arctic Cat xc 450

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The renegade is very impressive. My Honda dealer just started selling them. The 800r xxc is a beast.
Ya, they're first on my list, but they are pricey for a toy. Looks like I might be able to steal an 08 for high 4s to mid 5s (not the XXC) I was seriously missing my old Grizzly's 4WD this winter.

Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
My vote goes to the Renegade. If I ever buy a 4x4 to replace the XX it will be a Renegade or a Polaris Rzr 900.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
If you're looking to spend that kind of money, I know where I'd be looking--an Outlander XXC. In other words, a Renegade XXC with Outlander plastics to keep you cleaner. You might be able to find one used later this season.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My buddy just found a mint 08 Renegade 800 at a dealer in Wisconsin for $5500 with only 20 hours on it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My buddy has outlander 800 and I can get more places in the snow than him with paddles. So since the renegade is an outlander with diff plastics I wouldn't expect to get any farther in the snow. Bog on the other hand is a different story.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Is it just the snow that you are interested in? You want motor, handling, something you can work with also?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddy has outlander 800 and I can get more places in the snow than him with paddles. So since the renegade is an outlander with diff plastics I wouldn't expect to get any farther in the snow. Bog on the other hand is a different story.
Well...I rode with a few 4wd quads this winter and they all smoked the XX in the snow. Not even a contest. Hard pack, deep powder with no base and deep powder with a hard base....didn't matter. Not sure why your 2wd does so much better, but good for you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it just the snow that you are interested in? You want motor, handling, something you can work with also?
I want something I can ride in any season. What's the point of having it if you can't use it 5 months out of the year? My Grizzly would go anywhere in any season and while it wasn't as fun to jump with, that's such a small part of how I use the quad that it really doesn't matter. It only weighed 90 pounds more than the XX.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's the paddles, also less weight is better in snow big time. There are 450s with paddles that get around even better than me.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I want something I can ride in any season. What's the point of having it if you can't use it 5 months out of the year? My Grizzly would go anywhere in any season and while it wasn't as fun to jump with, that's such a small part of how I use the quad that it really doesn't matter. It only weighed 90 pounds more than the XX.
I agree 100%, that just wasn't what I got from reading your original post so that is why I asked. What year Grizz did you have? If you liked it, maybe another one? There are so many sport utes out there, I would just recommend to put some seat time in on one and make sure you get what you want.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Put paddles on the 4x and see what happens, or tracks. The xx is a good performer in about anything, but there are some places a 4x4 can't be beat.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
ive always liked my yamaha 4x4 quads and the artic cats they seem to perform the best for me. ive noticed a lot of people have bought the xx thinking its basicly a 4x4 and its not. its just a sport quad with different suspension. and i compleatly agree that you would want something you can use all the time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also agree if you're not satisfied with just the XX get a 4x4 for the extra bad terrain. I was just stating my observations of having an XX with paddles in the snow and riding with 4x4s I could get farther. I live in Canada I know my snow :hey: Get tracks for your 4x4 and ride over everybody lol.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's the paddles, also less weight is better in snow big time. There are 450s with paddles that get around even better than me.
I've got what look like Mud Lites on it now. It was worthless in the snow. Are you talking about sand paddle tires?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ive always liked my yamaha 4x4 quads and the artic cats they seem to perform the best for me. ive noticed a lot of people have bought the xx thinking its basicly a 4x4 and its not. its just a sport quad with different suspension. and i compleatly agree that you would want something you can use all the time.
I knew it wasn't a 4x4 and wasn't expecting 4x4 performance, but it was so bad in the snow it wasn't funny. I actually drove my Toyota Echo commuter around in the same field and it went 100% better! :coffee:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree 100%, that just wasn't what I got from reading your original post so that is why I asked. What year Grizz did you have? If you liked it, maybe another one? There are so many sport utes out there, I would just recommend to put some seat time in on one and make sure you get what you want.
I think it was an 04 660. Nice machine, just a lot bigger than I wanted. I used it to plow, pull stuff around the yard/woods and ride with buddies a few times. It just always reminded me of a tank! What got me thinking about another 4x4 was when we went riding at Demon Run atv park last fall and my buddies brother came with us. He brought one of those giant CanAm 4x4 with the king queen seat and put his girlfriend on it. He rode right with us for 2 laps (40 miles) and never really got behind us. Ya, he couldn't really jump it, but it did everything else and it out turned the XX by a mile....

The turning radius of this thing is really bugging me...embarrassing when a huge 2 person 4x4 can turn inside of this XX....

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yes, my Rincon will out turn my XX as far as radius. I am trying to get the push taken care of, then work on the radius. All the weight on the front of a 4X4 really helps the front tires to bite.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts