Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The Big 3 REALLY wakes these bikes up. Did you try to shift lower in the RPM? There allot faster when you don't rev them and let it pull from the bottom of each gear.

·
Banned
711 Posts
i started in 1st maybe he started in 2nd iam gonna try that in the next couple days see if starting in second will let me get the jump.

how is every one getting the jump on the compitition ? every one states they are takeing the 450s from the line and not looking back.... well with so much torq how are you starting off the line ? i 1st or 2nd gear slow start or revin up and taking off ?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I always start in 1st gear. I have been drag racing motorcycles and cars for about 8 years so I feel I have a lot more experience than most when it comes to drag racing. It takes a while to get it down to where you know exactly where the sweet spot to launch is at. Starting in 2nd might help you since you won't have the front end coming up like you would in 1st. More than anything it's technique and skill. Just because you make more power then the other guy doesn't mean you'll win a race. You just need to practice until you get it right.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
hmmm well i kind feel silly sitting on a black top road practicing starts.... sooo chalk one up for the 450's
The black top is making it more difficult for you, practice in grass. The XX has allot of power and short wheelbase making it prone to wheelies. i only raced others in the grass/dirt, I would sit forward and still ride wheelies into third leaving a roost.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Jeff (5W0P3) and I went riding this weekend and Jeff didn't lose a drag race all weekend. He even beat me with my own quad twice when we switched.

I guess size does matter.. :(

They had a 2007 450er and what looked to be a same year TFZ450r there who lost repeatedly too. After we were done racing they came over and the guy on the Honda wanted to know what we had done to our quads...

Club | 700 | xx

·
Registered
537 Posts
You could save yourself money and work on your technique.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
You could save yourself money and work on your technique.
I couldn't agree more, producing more power with the machine will only hurt you. Learn to ride what you have now in stock form before unleashing the potential.

p.s. My back is hurting from working on my friend's yfz450 for the last five hours straight. He couldn't get it to run, haha. I got that bastard screaming though. :yay:

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
hmmm........... well now iam hoping for a powerbomb header, uni filter and power commander...... wonder if this will give me that edge ? honestly i dont think i should need it common 700cc vs 450
More power is always nice but I agree with 3svt, Get the technique down first. As I mentioned before try shifting earlier.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If the ltr belongs to someone u know, try switching and see if u get him on ur bike. If he gets u then u know u need to work on technique.

If he doesn't then I'd say both of u need to work on technique. U keep mentioning the 700cc vs 450cc, but a built 450 will hang with a stock 700, especially if the 700 rider has bad technique. Imo, the holeshot wins extremely close races, as long as ur technique is "soso" the finish line is all that matters!

"Winning is winning, whether its by an inch or a mile."

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
More power is always nice but I agree with 3svt, Get the technique down first. As I mentioned before try shifting earlier.
Quoted for truth.

I actually told Jeff that was what I was going wrong on Saturday. These things aren't making their peak HP numbers at the redline. It took me some conditioning to make my left hand and foot listen though.

Club | 700 | xx

·
Banned
711 Posts
well........ iam just not sure how to come at it...... even if i go out to practice, what am i practicing ? do i just go out in the middle of my dirt road ( which receives little traffic threw out the day ) and sit at a dead stop put it in second and take the plung ? shifting threw all the gears trying to get to 5th asap ?

iam not even sure where to start i guess is what iam saying

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
well........ iam just not sure how to come at it...... even if i go out to practice, what am i practicing ? do i just go out in the middle of my dirt road ( which receives little traffic threw out the day ) and sit at a dead stop put it in second and take the plung ? shifting threw all the gears trying to get to 5th asap ?

iam not even sure where to start i guess is what iam saying
Not sure if starting from second will help or not as I never tried it that way. I would stick with starting in first unless someone has better results with second.
Honestly its hard to tell you exactly what you should be doing because getting comfortable with the bike and just feeling your way around is how its going to happen. Sooo.... Get a bottle of wine and some cheese puffs and get some quality time with her. Let us know what happens lol

·
Banned
711 Posts
went out again this morning for about 30 min tried some starts in second on a wet dirt road..... it seemed pretty effective how ever i did notice i was spinning alot on take off as well......

not many places to get on open black top with out being in hearing distance of a house and th FMF exhaust is pretty loud.

i think iam understanding things how ever with out some one timeing me or going up aginst any one iam not sure if iam making progress or not

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
traction...

Another option that hasn't been mentioned yet, is adding traction rather than power.

The maxxis razr is a superb tire and they make it in an 11" size for the stock rim. I have no doubt it will help with the wheel spin problem and get more power to the ground (at least on dirt). I've also increased the spring rate on my rear suspension (about a 1/4 of the way down from the top).

Anyway, so u might consider tires over power.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts