Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title states, these are the two quads I am torn between. I have a 450r for the track and I am looking for a trail bike with good ground clearance and it has to be a Honda. I know I am biased, but I don't think anyone on this board is going to hold that against me;) So, I like the rincon for the 4x4 obviously, and the mud/splash protection. I like the 700xx because it is faster, (right??) on tight trails and handles better because it is lighter. Is the IRS on the 700 comfy if you are putting along in first gear? I ride fairly fast, but want to be able to ride slower on the occasion that I am riding with the wife. I think I can get away with 2wd on the trails, bc I do not ride deep mud and I like the price of a used 700 over the rincon as well. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
I would go with a 700xx and a 13 tooth sprocket if you're mainly using it for trails. (and yes it's very nice for putting around) If you plan to take to tow anything for an extended period of time I would go with the Rincon. Mud and splash is horrible though for the 700xx.

Club | 700 | xx

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have both and love both. If I had a 450R and was looking to pick up only one of the two, I would probably go with the Rincon. I am still waiting for the 800cc Rincon with diff lock..............could be waiting a while. Like Scuzz said, splash protection is non-existent on the XX. Slow speed ride on both is really good. The Rincon will corner better than the stock XX in slow tight trails, but you can fix that. I would recommend trying both of them out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used to own an 06 Can Am Outlander (Traded for my 700) which I assume would be somewhat similar to a Rincon. If not my experiences won't be much use

For trail comparisons
Comfort: Definitely a smoother ride on the 700. The suspension is a 'sportyish' suspension and its lighter so the ride just was overall better. The outlander felt like a bulldozer
Speed: I don't know if I go any faster on the trail or not, but probably. Since its lighter its easier to control in some ways. The bike itself is faster obviously, but trails are not open sand/desert so you don't make a ton of use of the horsepower. It really feels more 'fun' to ride, but maybe thats just me.
Mud: I got muddy with either quad, I don't think either made a difference. On my 700 I took off the front fender and a few other things and still don't notice hardly any difference.
Terrain: In terms of 'Can I make it?', the 4wd has one major advantage that I've noticed. If you ride during the winter around where I live, the trails become really rocky. When its rocky and you are trying to 'climb' up a steep hilly trail with a really slippery rocky surface, the 2wd kind of sucks. Otherwise I have not ever had a problem getting around (in some nasty stuff too)

Two other advantages I have to give to the 700 as well. The plastic is ALOT cheaper (compared to the outlander, not sure on the Rincon) Like, 1 grand cheaper for a set. And plastics easy to break, especially if you flip a 700 pound utility quad. Also while its still heavy for a sports quad, compared to a utility its pretty light. If you get in a bad spot you can still yank it out (really helps if you have a buddy).

I don't know if Georgia has any sand dunes or desert (I'm guessing no) but the sports quad is pretty fun for that if you ever get the opportunity

Thats about all, just my opinions so take from them what you will. Whatever you get, ride red and enjoy!

·
Registered
369 Posts
imo i would go with the rincon because u all ready have a sport quad. The xx is a good all around quad but for trail riding 4wd is always a plus

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
id go with the rincon u already have a sport. the rincon isnt even close to how fast the xx is. rincon about 65mph top speed.. 700xx 80mph top speed with 13t. in a drag the xx will be doing 60 while the rincon is getting to 30.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would go with a 700xx and a 13 tooth sprocket if you're mainly using it for trails. (and yes it's very nice for putting around) If you plan to take to tow anything for an extended period of time I would go with the Rincon. Mud and splash is horrible though for the 700xx.

I think I can handle the mud....I know that is a sacrifice. Good to hear that it is geared low enough with the 13t for slow speeds.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have both and love both. If I had a 450R and was looking to pick up only one of the two, I would probably go with the Rincon. I am still waiting for the 800cc Rincon with diff lock..............could be waiting a while. Like Scuzz said, splash protection is non-existent on the XX. Slow speed ride on both is really good. The Rincon will corner better than the stock XX in slow tight trails, but you can fix that. I would recommend trying both of them out.

well the rincon is much more, I have the cash, but the trails we ride in ga are tight and have ruts so the 700xx is appealing if I don't need 4wd! I have ridden a lot of them with a buds wolverine 450 and I only used 4wd once the whole day.........I really need to sit on both and find a place that will let me test drive them in the parking lot...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
id go with the rincon u already have a sport. the rincon isnt even close to how fast the xx is. rincon about 65mph top speed.. 700xx 80mph top speed with 13t. in a drag the xx will be doing 60 while the rincon is getting to 30.
that's what I am afraid of If I choose the Rincon, I ride with a couple guys that have 250 two stroke dirt bikes too....I think I can easily keep up on a 700xx. Rincon.....I dunoo any experience with riding a Rincon fast on tight trial? Never get above 45mp really...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
well if u get the xx u should get good tires (if u do only trail id get raza 2 with new itp rims) (can easly sell stock tires n rims on this site) and a 13t, and if u want a l8ton sway bar.
if the dikes u ride with are geared low for trails then u should beat em on the top end.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep....the 700xx I am looking at already has a 13t......I have seen some of the quads on here and razrs look to be a popular choice.......read about the 9/16th sway bar, sounds good....you didn't mention the full exhaust and the fuel controller:) or the flexx bars;) I do want to make sure though before I rule out the rincon....tough decision right?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
yep... if i got another quad it prolly be a Rubicon or rincon.. that aint happing anytime soon.. gota get myself a powerstroke first

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I have both. Love them both, ride the XX more just like all my other quads, but I put a lot into the rincon for mods. You can ask anyone that went w/ me to Hatfield last year, I can ride the snot out of a utility quad, and keep up w/ just about anyone if I had the guts to do so on the straightaways, but I can corner them like a mofo. The rincon I can actually corner better than the XX, but if you are riding hard in the trails w/ a UTE you'll find your arms getting really tired. Comfort isn't bad either on the Rincon. If you get the sway bar for the XX, I think you will find you can corner better, but the comfort isn't as great. The Rincon is actually quite quick (even before my mods) for a big quad (I am like you as well, nothing but HONDA!) and I was pleased with it, I just got bored LOL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ride the steep rocky trails in the Colorado mountains. I actually went with a 12t front sprocket and am able to putt the heavy boulders fairly well. Blows my friends away the obstacles I can get over with 2WD. Haven't gotton stuck yet (knock wood). My only problem when riding with my friends all on utilities is the time I sit, waiting for them to catch up. Always the leader and never in the dust... ;-)

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
I ride the steep rocky trails in the Colorado mountains. I actually went with a 12t front sprocket and am able to putt the heavy boulders fairly well. Blows my friends away the obstacles I can get over with 2WD. Haven't gotton stuck yet (knock wood). My only problem when riding with my friends all on utilities is the time I sit, waiting for them to catch up. Always the leader and never in the dust... ;-)
When I first started riding it was hard to fiqure out how big of a head start to let them "UTV's" have, if you were behind them on a climb. I'd let them go bout 1/2 way up, an go and then be on there ass by 3/4 of the way to the top. And it's not fun waiting on someone going up a mountain, when your on the 2wd feathering the clutch. So going up 1st like you said is the way togo!

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
sweet...I ordered the 9/16 sway bar. Taking this beast out when I get back home around the second week in May....can't wait
One trick or tip, I have on the sway bar install. Put the bushing's on dry first time, pop them off add grease and replace. They will go on alot easier the 2nd time, cause you've opened them up some. And this way you dont wear 1/2 the grease. Have fun and enjoy!:xx:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.