Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say there is a 700xx on cl in st louis for 2100. I will try to post link if anyone is ineterested.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Almost every one of the crazy deals I've found on CL is a scam. The easiest way to figure it out is with a google search. As in, search google for EXACTLY what they put in the title of the ad, and you'll often find the same listing pop up on CL across the country. Then, if you email them, they say "the machine is 5 hours away from me, so I want to ship it. We use eBay buyer protection, so you're completely covered if you don't want the machine or if there's any problem."

I have no idea what eBay buyer protection is or if it even exists, but I doubt they would offer it to a non-eBay transaction. Anyway, I doubt anyone hear would be naive enough to send money eBay style to a CL seller, but that's how the scam works.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I emailed this guy, or gal, and this is the response that I got. I'm thinking something fishy...?

Hello,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch with you.
First of all let me say that the Honda TRX700XX is in excellent condition, it has never been crashed or rolled. I don't want to get rich by it's selling, just want to give it to someone who will take good care of it. I'm an US Air Force MSgt. currently stationed in Little Rock Air Force Base, AR and the quad is here with me, I can have it shipped from here by an US Air Force cargo plane so there won't be any shipping costs for you. Also I can arrange for a truck to transport it to your home address or you can pick it up from the nearest airport in your area. The shipping takes around 48 hours, depending on your location. If you are interested in purchasing the quad contact me back so I can provide you with more information. The quad has 23 miles, year 2008, Manual Transmission, 700 cc Engine, 2-Wheel drive

MSgt. Claire Strauss

PS. Sorry for the long email I've tried to touch all bases

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yep thats the scam or they say they are over seas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got the EXACT same responce but over a KTM 525exc! The exact one word for word!! Typical Nigerian scam. I asked him how many hours on the muffler bearings, when the last time the blinker fluid was changed and the how many cycles the number plates have been through! He answered my questions then wanted payment through western union. His quad had 17 hours on the muffler bearings, the blinker fluis was changed last week and the number plates had only been through 6 cycles! What a great deal!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I got the EXACT same responce but over a KTM 525exc! The exact one word for word!! Typical Nigerian scam. I asked him how many hours on the muffler bearings, when the last time the blinker fluid was changed and the how many cycles the number plates have been through! He answered my questions then wanted payment through western union. His quad had 17 hours on the muffler bearings, the blinker fluis was changed last week and the number plates had only been through 6 cycles! What a great deal!

Seriously? That's good stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very serious!, I love messing with them, I created a Gmail account for the purpose of baiting them along. Its good for a laugh. They dont know anything about bikes so you can pretty much ask them any stupid question you want. They'll say anything to get your money. I report the latest happenings to my buddies and we all get a good laugh.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, if its not in the city its listed I never check it out. I emailed a girl once, her husband died yada yada rzr was in canada. If it canada, arkansas etc, sell it there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I always like the ones where the scammers swear that the quad is local -say like an obscure town in the northwest- but the picture they send has palm trees in the background. Yeah...not a lot of palm trees to be found in Oregon or Washington...

BTW ebay buyer protection does not cover anything that was not purchased on ebay, especially craigslist since the two are at odds with eachother. So, if a seller promises that you would be covered by any buying service or protection offered through ebay, they are probably scamming you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Huge Scam!
I am in the Air Force and you can not ship personal items on a government plane. Government planes do not land on commercial runways very often. Give me his email. I will have him bill Uncle Sam for the thing. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts