Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Halsey has what I consider the best and largest trails in Nebraska, but the U.S. Forest Service is closing down 94% of the trail system. :eek:hno: This puts it down from 300 miles of trails to 19!! The state has very little support for OHV recreation and it is just sad. The worst part is that the Halsey Trails Committee even tried working with them and agreed to going down to a mere 27 miles and were just given the shaft by going down to 19. We had a group of guys that were going to be going there next weekend, but now I just don't know if we will anymore. With all this being said it simply sucks and is too bad that there isn't more support here. If you want to read more the link is below

http://www.halseytrails.com/

:steamed:

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Yeah free riding areas are going the way of the Do-Do bird. If you ( the collective you) wanna ride...you better be willing to pay up.

Rangers and trail maintenance cost money.

From the site:

With upcoming federal budget cuts, U.S. Forest Service funding for trails at the Bessey Ranger District will not be available.
The current administration in Washington is not motorized trails friendly and there is a growing trend nationwide to close ATV, dirtbike and UTV trails.
Among the longtime Forest Service the staff at Halsey, there is little if any support for ATV, dirtbike and UTV recreation.
There is strong local opposition by the politically influential toward recreational ATV, dirtbike and UTV trails at the Nebraska National Forest.
There is little if any support among state senators for recreational ATV and dirtbike trails in the area and in Nebraska in general.
In the past there has been strong support to close trails at the Nebraska National Forest among wildlife managers with the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
Nebraska has no state wide trail user fee or registration program to fund trails. Even if a user fee or registration program was in place on the state level, at this time there is no state agency willing to manage the fund. We fear that any state managed fund would be eaten up in administration fees or used for other unrelated programs.
The Forest Service has no local trail user fee. Without a trail fee, it can be said that it’s a matter of time before trails that have been allowed to remain open under the new Travel Management Plan may no longer be allowed to exist because of the absence of funds for maintenance and resource repair.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah free riding areas are going the way of the Do-Do bird. If you ( the collective you) wanna ride...you better be willing to pay up.

Rangers and trail maintenance cost money.
That sure is correct. I wish we could have that option. I'd rather pay to ride than not be able to ride there. 99% of my riding is on private land anyway, but it sure is nice going to a place like that with a group of guys for a little trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts