Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm basically down to the last step of deciding which tires i want, I ride in mud basically all the time, i dont race and we dont have sand hils in AK so i wont be doing that. here are the options, i just need some input and help on deciding. Keep in mind i am only buying rear tires, i will put rims on the fronts as well, but im really only worried about the rears:

ITP Mud Lite XL, 1 inch of tread, total size 25-10x12, on a 12 tall by 10 OMF rim.

or

Innova Mud Gear, 2/3 inch of tread, total size 24-10x11, on a 11 tall by 10 Beadlock Specialties rim.

Any input is helpful, if anyone knows about how the ITP's work over other brands or if anyone has heard about the Innova's i would like to know. also if you guys have input on the extra half inch of clearance the 25'' tire may give i would love to hear it. either way i am putting a 13t front sprocket on and then i will play with the rear to fine tune what i need, but just input on which tires you all think would be helpful.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mud lite's work awesome in mud. The Innova's I have zero experience with.
Mudlites suck nuts. POS tire. Zillas are the best all around tire out right now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i found a Maxxis Zilla in a 25-10x12 with 3/4 tread, less than the ITP but more than the innova, plus they weigh less than both. But how does their tread work in mud? now im not talking the occasional mud puddle, we ride in deep mud, like swamps up to the top of the rims most of the time. Would the Zilla treads do good in deep mud? anyone have some experience with this?

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
so i found a Maxxis Zilla in a 25-10x12 with 3/4 tread, less than the ITP but more than the innova, plus they weigh less than both. But how does their tread work in mud? now im not talking the occasional mud puddle, we ride in deep mud, like swamps up to the top of the rims most of the time. Would the Zilla treads do good in deep mud? anyone have some experience with this?
There's a Zilla in 24/10/11. Trust me they outperform any Mudlite. They're lighter, wear very well, handle high speed, they clean out, and runs very smooth for how aggressive it is. I had the mudlights on the kfx700 and switched to Zillas and the difference is night and day.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Have u thought about Maxxis Big Horns great tire! I had 2 sets they never wear out great in any situation I mean any, not aggresive smmooth ride great clean out. My brother has ITP XTR's i could go any where he could. Any where, without a problem! Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the thing is they arent 0'' tall rims, they are 10 wide.. the ones im looking at are 12 tall and 10 wide, and the Zilla looks like it may be my choice, im just torn between them and the ITP's because the ITP's have a 1/4 of an inch deeper tread, from what i have seen deeper tread has proven more worthy in deep mud.

·
Registered
375 Posts
the thing is they arent 0'' tall rims, they are 10 wide.. the ones im looking at are 12 tall and 10 wide, and the Zilla looks like it may be my choice, im just torn between them and the ITP's because the ITP's have a 1/4 of an inch deeper tread, from what i have seen deeper tread has proven more worthy in deep mud.
What do you mean by 12 tall?

24= height of tire
10= width
11=rim size

·
Registered
375 Posts
Have u thought about Maxxis Big Horns great tire! I had 2 sets they never wear out great in any situation I mean any, not aggresive smmooth ride great clean out. My brother has ITP XTR's i could go any where he could. Any where, without a problem! Just my thoughts.
BigHorns are not for mud at all. They ball right up. Not sure what type of mud you're in, but the thick peanut butter stuff they're no good. They're more for rocks and really rough terrain. Plus they are very heavy. I'd choose the Terracross XD over the BigHorns.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you mean by 12 tall?

24= height of tire
10= width
11=rim size
Yeah i know that, when i say 10 tall i mean rim heigth, thats just the way i say it for some reason sorry.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Must be that canadian mud:confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, so now i am down to a decision between the Maxxis Zilla, and the ITP Mud Lite XL, Zilla's have a 3/4 inch tread depth, ITP's have 1'', Zillas weigh 18 pounds each and ITP's weigh 20 each.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah i know that, when i say 10 tall i mean rim heigth, thats just the way i say it for some reason sorry.
Go check out all the 4x4 forums. No one likes the BH's for mud riding. They like them for how tough and puncture resistant they are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts