Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adjusted the preload about half way up front and an 1/8 inch in back. Huge difference. Before the front would over compress going into woops or down into gullies and nearly throw me over the bars. Now they spring back and don't mush down. I highly recommend everyone to make some adjustments. While the stock shocks are pretty lame I'm stuck with them for a few months and I can live with them now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah the front shocks are the only thing I hate about the xx :eek:hno:. I was jumping some 3-4 foot waterbars down a logging road and oh my the front just wanted to keep bouncing untill I hit the next jump . It was :nuts::lmao: . I am gonna do a shock swap asap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you guys would install some ds450's on the front, it would cure your problems

·
Registered
788 Posts
But what it comes down to is the $$$$$$$. Its either $500 or up, or....a punch and a hammer that everyone has laying around in their garage. Maybe a busted knuckle:hey::hey:.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I used a hammer and long screw driver, yes it would be easier/nice to have a spanner wrench especially when you're alone and are tightened them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if your stand the bike up you can adjust them pretty much by hand once you have cracked the locking nuts apart as there is no load on the spring

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I just used my stand and raise the rear end which will also take the load off the springs.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I wouldn't do the DS450 shocks, I'd save the money and get the elkas. Just a personal opinion. I noticed the handling is way better with a tighter preload but the rear end would buck when I hit deeper ruts. A dirt wheels article said the XX is a beast in the dunes with a tight preload, handles just like a SRA.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I wouldn't do the DS450 shocks, I'd save the money and get the elkas. Just a personal opinion. I noticed the handling is way better with a tighter preload but the rear end would buck when I hit deeper ruts. A dirt wheels article said the XX is a beast in the dunes with a tight preload, handles just like a SRA.
Have you tried the DS450 shocks?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Tuesday im going to twister valley and im gona try to adjust mine. ill let u know howit turns out.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Have you tried the DS450 shocks?
Nope, dont need to. After the time and money invested in them it would be worth spending the extra money to get Elka's. You're buying the stockers of another quad which better but will not be as nice as aftermarket. I've lt450r with stock rezzy shocks and aftermarket, aftermarket is much better. I doubt bombardier has perfected the stock rezzy. This is my OPINION so dont take offense to it. I'd rather have a nice set of elka's rather than hacking up another quads slightly better stockers. You're looking at $100 or more to buy the shocks, $100 or more for revolving plus whatever it takes to modify and make them fit. $775 on ebay for elkas on ebay which will be customized to your weight. The modification to the top of the DS shock makes me wonder how durable it will be after shaving it down. I haven't seen anyone post ride results after this mod either. I'd like to hear how the XX handled after the install...

http://club700xx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2945&highlight=ds450&page=4

People have searched for these shocks and found them for $250. That plus a trip to Wiig racing you're spending close half of the elkas or more. I'd rather have the nicer shock that fits without modification and when the elkas are done go to wiig for the rebuild.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Some of the members have and are using the DS450 and they really like them, yes, they are OEM parts but are better than ours so if you're able to find some at a lower cost then why not?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Some of the members have and are using the DS450 and they really like them, yes, they are OEM parts but are better than ours so if you're able to find some at a lower cost then why not?
I haven't found any ride reports on here. After messing around with turbo cars I've learned its better to spend the money and do it right the first time. I'd rather spend the money on the Elka's the first time. You will most likely want to upgrade to Elka's or Fox shocks one day, I want to save the cash and just do it the first time. Dont take offense to this, its simply my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just rode with my OEMs after the adjustment again today. I'm about 210. Front preload is still set about right in the middle. I have the back tightened about 3/16s. It rides much better now. The soft preload that the factory had the fronts set at really just made the front nose dive in dips. Now I go right over and through the ditches and rough terrain. Before the quad would dive in the front so quickly I'd nearly get thrown over the bars. Since I tightened the fronts it hasn't done it at all. I can power through things that before used to slow me down. Eventually I want to go long travel and Elkas up front, a big expense but hopefully a huge leap over stock.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I just rode with my OEMs after the adjustment again today. I'm about 210. Front preload is still set about right in the middle. I have the back tightened about 3/16s. It rides much better now. The soft preload that the factory had the fronts set at really just made the front nose dive in dips. Now I go right over and through the ditches and rough terrain. Before the quad would dive in the front so quickly I'd nearly get thrown over the bars. Since I tightened the fronts it hasn't done it at all. I can power through things that before used to slow me down. Eventually I want to go long travel and Elkas up front, a big expense but hopefully a huge leap over stock.
Going aftermarket with shocks is night and day! I went from stock to ishocks and the difference was incredible!

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can do what you want to, but I love the difference that the DS450 shocks make on my 700. Once you install the DS450 shocks, it makes you realize how sorry the stock rear shocks are. When hitting jumps and doubles the front feels smooth as butter. The 700 also corners alot better than it did before. The shocks took alot of the push out of the front end. It allows the front tire to get a little more bite in the corner and makes it easier to sling the back end around.

As far as saving the money for elkas that is up to you. I don't have as much money to throw around. I have $90 including shipping in my shocks and about 1.5 hours on the install. That is better than $800-$1000 any day of the week. Yes you do have to work on the top mount to make them fit. Have you seen how small the top mount is on the stock 700 shocks??

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
You can do what you want to, but I love the difference that the DS450 shocks make on my 700. Once you install the DS450 shocks, it makes you realize how sorry the stock rear shocks are. When hitting jumps and doubles the front feels smooth as butter. The 700 also corners alot better than it did before. The shocks took alot of the push out of the front end. It allows the front tire to get a little more bite in the corner and makes it easier to sling the back end around.

As far as saving the money for elkas that is up to you. I don't have as much money to throw around. I have $90 including shipping in my shocks and about 1.5 hours on the install. That is better than $800-$1000 any day of the week. Yes you do have to work on the top mount to make them fit. Have you seen how small the top mount is on the stock 700 shocks??
You are the first to post any type of ride report that I've seen. I saw posts that stated they couldn't find the shocks for less than $250, $90 is for sure a good deal and worth it. The XX shock mount might be small but it was designed that way. When you cut away material from the DS shock you are ruining the integrity of the shock mount. If it holds up that is great and I will consider this option for sure! Are your shocks stock or did you send them to get reworked?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
On eBay the shocks are no less than 250. If you go to the forums there $100 all day long. As you mentioned you do have to trim the shock. From what I've seen in pics and knowing the location where it's trimmed I'd believe it is a non issue on durability. For the money invested in the DS shocks even with revalving you'd have a quality part. For most this mod would be more than ideal. There are only a limited few who would actually see the needed advantages of an Elka. For a true race quad, Elka's. For the majority DS is sufficient.

I'm waiting for a set to come in. When they get here i'll be shipping them to Wiig. I'm sure he can give us a professional opinion on the quality and design.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts