Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is good with adjusting my front shocks they are way to soft actually on the softest setting and i am about 260 pounds. Was trying to figure it out and have no clue and there is nothing in my manual.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Front TRX700xx Shocks adjust easy if u get weight off suspension and loosen lock ring u will need to adjust both the same amount if i had to guess start with adjusting it about 30% tighter i had to adjust mine repeatedly till got it jusy right. Most likely adjusting the back will help alot also

·
Registered
323 Posts
All you can adjust is preload which only changes the ride height and sag. The spring rate doesn't change. You need to change out the shocks for a set with rebound dampening adjustment or have the stock shocks modified to include a revalve and respring for your weight. Most quads and bikes come sprung for a 180 pound rider.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If it helps at all, I adjusted my fronts about half way and then my rears about three threads and it made all the difference. Rides 100% better now. I weigh about 160 so hope this helps. Try it out and if worse comes to worse you could adjust more, or go back to stock and buy new Elkas.:hey:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I cranked mine up all the way tonight at all 4 corners. Completely different feel now. Hardly any body roll and I could drift to my heart's content without feeling like it was going to high side me.

I'll have to see if it's going to buck me off at the MX track tomorrow night. I have a buddy working me up a quote for a respring and revalve of the rears and a new set of fronts setup for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you need a shock tool too adjust or is there another snake way to adjust them since i dont have a shock tool

·
Registered
323 Posts
do you need a shock tool too adjust or is there another snake way to adjust them since i dont have a shock tool
I used a drift and hammer to knock the locking ring loose, jacked the quad up so the wheels were off the ground and then shot the adjuster threads with a little wd40. I could easily turn the fronts using my hands with mechanix gloves on. I grabbed the adjuster ring and the top of the spring with one hand and then the bottom of the spring with the other hand and just turned the whole assembly till I had it where I wanted it. Rears are the same, but more difficult due to the springs being stronger. I did all 4 in about 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if anyone has trouble at any time with stuck or rusted components get some "Rostoff Ice" from WURTH .....awesome absolutely AWESOME product ..( lol...and no its not the drug) altho once ya use it the first time ...you do tend to become "addicted" to preferentially using it for future times ...just works so darn good ...used to use it at home on farm and in bicycle shop...

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Folks the problem with the front shocks is they are a little soft but your main problem lays in the very fast rebound, the more you load up the pre-load the faster they will rebound to a point were you might actually be better leaving them soft. Lets face it folks the front shocks are only there to keep the a-arms of the ground in the show room. I have recently changed to Fox allround and I dont think I could ride the quad again standard there is just so much difference in performance its amazing.

Overlord

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mate I got the big puppies the Fox Evolve 2 excellent performance and the easiest set up in the industry, A1 as far as Im concerned not to mention the Podium rears.

Overlord

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sure am got the Houser +.75 and yes it makes a difference, personally I would not go wider on the 700xx in the bush, I think with these arms it goes out to 50inch wide in the front.

Overlord

·
Registered
323 Posts
Folks the problem with the front shocks is they are a little soft but your main problem lays in the very fast rebound, the more you load up the pre-load the faster they will rebound to a point were you might actually be better leaving them soft. Lets face it folks the front shocks are only there to keep the a-arms of the ground in the show room. I have recently changed to Fox allround and I dont think I could ride the quad again standard there is just so much difference in performance its amazing.

Overlord
Yup....crank them up and then work them back, but they'll never be good...you need replacements valved and spring for you and how you ride or something like the Fox stuff.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You got it av8r

·
Registered
148 Posts
So there it is pretty much a unanimous our stock shocks suck but for us every other riders where buying elkas isn't a real option what suspension settings are suggested? My only real suspension upgrade in the near future is a sway bar. So would you say soft up front and medium out back with a sway bar?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.