Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to adjust the valves on my XX, I got around 1200kms on it now....anyways is it a very complicated task to do ? What are the special tools required to do it and how long does it take for a guy that has never done it ?
Just wondering if I can do it myself or if its too complicated, I've clean carbs, PV did all the maintenance on my machines, snowmobile and atv but never did a valve adjustment ...I'd like to do this myself instead of going to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
It is pretty easy if you got the service manual. As the other threads say, the hardest part is taking off the plastics and the fueltank. Before you start, make sure you have the proper size FEELER GUAGES, and the proper size ALLEN wrench for the left side crank cover (mine got stripped b/c someone didn't have the right size). It is pretty easy, and the manual shows you exactly what to do. Just be sure you do it in a clean spot where no dirt can really get into it. What I usually do is after I get the plastics removed, I wash it up and use an air compressor to blow dry it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll check the manual and all and will go check for feeler guages and see if I got a proper Allen wrench but I should.
For the feeler guages, are they all the same or should I buy a specific one ??

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
NOT ANY SET WILL DO. Look in the manual and it will give you the tolerances, I can't remember them off the top of my head, but some feeler guages that you can get don't go down small enough for the tolerances you need. If you don't have ones that small, SEARS would be a good place to get them as when I got my first set, they had a gazillion different ones there, and to make it easier, if you had a set that were angled on the one end, that would make life easier getting in there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give me the model of your feeler gauge so I'll check to see what it looks like. Whats the size I'm looking for the gap of my XX ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How the hell do I remove the tank heat shield, plastic piece to get to the valves, I've removed everything but this part is not explained in the manual.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
All done, I figured it out, wiiiii, now I can do the valves on my atv without having to rely on the dealer and if I get a 450 in the future or anything that requires regular valves maintenance I'll be able to do it.
I just hope I tightened everything the way I was supposed to. That heat protector on top of the engine is probably the toughest part to remove, its quite a puzzle when you don't have instructions but I figured it out.
Valves were a bit on the tight side.

How I removed the heat protector......
1. remove the two side plastics with the 700xx engraved in them, just remove the two bolts and the small plastic insert and it will come out.
2. remove the spark plug cap, that one is a bitch, very small area to put your hand in.
3. remove all tubings that goes on top of it.
4. unplug those two connectors thats on end of plug coil(I guess) its on the back of the heat protector, you will see the two connections with small wires. There some type of plastic semi-cover that goes on it just lift it up a little or remove if you want.
5. remove the heat protector, you have to twist it to your throttle side from the back.

What a pain to figured this one out lol.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Good job. That coil is actually your starter. This machine is very simple to do. If you are going to dig into 450's, you may want to be a tad more careful as some actually have shims that you'll need to replace.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good write up on the heat shield removal. That was definitely the most frustrating part. Without removing the coil pack it would put a lot of stress on the harness and not give you enough play. I think after adjusting my valves my exhaust became hotter. I adjusted them all pretty snug to the feeler. Probably not a good thing but I'm reluctant to go back and change it.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Rancher, what do you mean pretty snug to the feel? Do you mean pretty snug on the feeler gauges? IDK if you knwo this, but what you shoudl do after you adjust them, take the gauge out, and then see if it will slide back in snugly. If it wont with out a lot of forcing, then it means you went to tight. If it is too lose, then try to get the next bigger size to fit in there. Just a heads up. Not trying to harp on you or anything, it is just some people aren't as mechanically inclined as others and they don't think of these sort of things.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For me when I tighten them I just tight them so it touch the gauge and I can't remove it, not too hard just snug, then loose about 1/8 turn, remove the gauge, recheck to see if the gauge goes too tight or not, if its good then I tight the lock screw, recheck to see if its still good and I'm done.
Its a little bit touchy when you tight the lock screw.

·
Registered
70 Posts
CRWH45 - When I said "feeler" it was short for feeler gauge. When you stated that the coil above was actually the starter....well it's actually the ignition coil - as you would expect, attached to the spark plug. "Not trying to harp on you or anything. Some people are less mechanically inclined than others." Next time I'll send you my resume.
Again NavyNut good writeup on the heat shield removal. I'll reference it in the future as a reminder.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Rancher, yes, sorry. I meant to say starter coil, which you are right, it is the "ignition coil", which I suppose you corrected yourself as well calling it the "coil pack." I am glad you came back being extremely positive. Like I stated before, some people are not mechanically inclined as others, by which I mean some people have never done this before, as if you read threads and stuff, people ask how to do it. Such like NavyNut. With people not having done it before may not realize that the screw could actually move while tightening the nut, hence why verifying it again when it is all said and done. Like I stated previously, I wasn't harping on you or anyone else. I was trying to state a fact that some people may have done this a whole lot more than others, therefore trying to prevent them from screwing up their machines. Case in point, I helped DaGirl with hers, and showed her everything as she has never done it before. I showed her and then she did it and it was a tad too tight, so I showed her how to verify. You can take what I said however you want, everyone has their own opinions, but I honestly was trying to help and not undermine anyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts