Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an idea for an air box lid that's NOT based on modding the stock lid.
Thought I might throw the idea out there to see what others think before I proceed.

You could make a NEW lid that's more like a picture frame... flat with NO scoop and the entire center open and covered with an outerwears pre-filter. This would be a much larger opening and about 2" lower giving plenty of room between the seat and the pre-filter. I was thinking of doing the prototype in wood as it's easy to work with and shape. It would also be good to make a mold from for the plastic finished piece. This is just an idea... Now, it's your turn to tell me if you think it's a good idea or that I'm full of shit.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
roadkill your full of sh!t that will never work!...

just givin you ahard time.lmao i like the way you think, great minds think alike right...

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All you have to do is re-vamp it somehow and call it your own.:hey:
Or... EHS might see this post and and decide to offer a lid like this as well... hint, hint.

roadkill

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I havent made one like that because its really not necessary contary to what some people say the lid we sell is a performance mod it flows enough air for what your going to get with a big 3. I have tested it with more air hence the side vents we made on a 3 mod bike it will net you about 1-1.5 hp above 7000rpm below there the gains are very very minimal. The complelty open lid like above will not flow any more useable air than our lid with the sidevents i guarantee. I have tested them on 700xx up to 56hp and im pretty sure they will support 60-63 hp then at that point the whole intact tract will need to be upgraded ie tube/tb/filter/etc.

Pros to totally open lid
its cool because someone made it themselves anything people make on there own i give them props for.
it will flow slightly more than our std lid not any more than side vent lid
probably cheaper depending on whos building it themselves

Cons
that large of a prefilter span will allow water pooling. which will then directly run onto filter
running two outerwears one in lid and one on filter hinders flow more than running a smaller opening in lid.
filter replacment if torn?

again i want to stress im not knocking that setup in anyway i think its great when people make stuff themselevs it is totally functional just pointing out the things i have learned for the past 10 years making them.

Your TB, intake Tube, and port work is only so big and will only flow so much air thats all you need to get into your air filter. On a built bike more air is necssary we saw 4-5 hp increase with the sidevents on our std lid.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Eric, I have a question for you?? I have your airbox lid & I installed a ModQuad K&N filter that came with another outerwear filter that goes on the actual filter, thus I guess you can say I am running "2" Pre-filters. I was installing the big 3 & afterwords, I was watching the air box & when I get down on that thing the air box looks like it is sucking inwards. Is this normal? Or should I remove that pre-filter off of the K&N?

I am going to plan to install your side vents soon, unless you tell me I dont need them..
Thanks for any info.. You "da man".!

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Shovelhead,

Did you ever hear from Eric on this? I have the same setup and was thinking I should take the pre-filter off the K&N filter.

·
Registered
579 Posts
No I didnt hear from Eric, I did purchase the side vents for the airbox from him,but I haven't gotten them yet?

Someone else did tell me that the 2nd pre-filter would in no way cause a problem with air restriction??

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Eric, I have a question for you?? I have your airbox lid & I installed a ModQuad K&N filter that came with another outerwear filter that goes on the actual filter, thus I guess you can say I am running "2" Pre-filters. I was installing the big 3 & afterwords, I was watching the air box & when I get down on that thing the air box looks like it is sucking inwards. Is this normal? Or should I remove that pre-filter off of the K&N?

I am going to plan to install your side vents soon, unless you tell me I dont need them..
Thanks for any info.. You "da man".!
Yes its going to suck in thats normal there is air going in there kinda helps with everything actually with it moving up and down it will help keep itself clean. I dont like 2 prefilters unless you are going on an extremely dusty dirty ride. i think a pre filter directly on a kn/kn clone just allows the gunk to get between the air filter and the pre-filter and it keeps it there creating air restriction and making it ram into your filter. I would put one on if your having extreme conditions and then when the inside pre filter got gunked up at all take it off and just run the one in the lid. My idea/preference is let the lid keep the majority of it out and let your air filter do its thing.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
No I didnt hear from Eric, I did purchase the side vents for the airbox from him,but I haven't gotten them yet?

Someone else did tell me that the 2nd pre-filter would in no way cause a problem with air restriction??
If the airbox is sucking in, The restriction is not at the filter.....

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
If the airbox is sucking in, The restriction is not at the filter.....
its a pre filter why would it not suck in its not like its caving in a piece of plastic if you blow on it with your mouth its gonna move. You dont need a open box to make power i know thats what you are usually trying to get at.

this motor is not moving that much air in stock form

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
its a pre filter why would it not suck in its not like its caving in a piece of plastic if you blow on it with your mouth its gonna move. You dont need a open box to make power i know thats what you are usually trying to get at.

No no, Smooth means that the pre filter on the filter itself wouldn't cause the box to cave in. He wasn't taking a shot at the lid. The EHS lid is pimp!

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts

Actually the poster said the airbox was sucking in. If he meant the Pre-filter on the lid then that is different. I responded to what was posted. If the airbox is sucking in then there is considerable restriction with the lid. Before you get bent out of shape I am simply not a fan of the lid, I've promoted your EFI programmer and what not so this is not a smear campaign. I actually purchased the lid. When I received it I was under the impression it would flow better than the stock lid, This was not the case and I sold it. My bias comes from this, I'm not sure where the performance upgrade rumor started but I feel it should be clear it is not. For the intention of keeping a clean airbox, Thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Im not bent out of shape smooth i respect you and your opinions. I know you have promoted the my stuff and i appreciate it but just because i type something that disagrees with you or you type something that disagrees with me doesnt mean i get upset forums always dont have to be like that. i think when when most people read stuff its usally taking worse than its meant to be

1 - 20 of 26 Posts