Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think it all depends on where you ride. The spark arrestor is needed in most atv parks and national forest trails but if no one is looking where you are than go ahead it wont hurt. The air box lid is OK to remove if your not playing in the mud and the water. Its really there to keep the debris and moisture out so if you do remove it I would upgrade your stock filter to something like the K&N filter setup with a good pre-filter.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
did for awhile then went to exhaust tip to have sparkaresstor but still opened it up and modified air box now

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm still stock on mine took the lid off and it was just to loud but I do leave the spark arrestor out at least until i get the pipe I want no problems with anything except the arrestor bolts tend to seize up and twist off even with antiseize on them so be careful there.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If any of you have an old HMF tip around, it will fit the stock pipe with just a little hole reaming on the tip. The HMF spark arrester will work too. Flows alot freer and sounds better than stock, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
There was a thread on removing the spark arrestor a week or so ago. From the pics posted removing the spark arrestor will only change the sound of the can. The real restriction is in the mid can.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you know where the first baffle stops on the other side of the rear divider plate, you can drill through it with a long bit. The flow runs through 1 baffle back to the rear divider plate, then runs back toward the front of the silencer, then back out through the baffle that you can see. I have done this on a 400EX. On the 400EX is was 180 off from the baffle that you can see when you remove the spark arrester. It did make a difference on the 400EX with a filter a jetting, but it still sounded somewhat anemic compared to an aftermarket pipe.

·
Registered
667 Posts
you better have a very good air filter if you run without the lid, EHS makes a pre filter lid that gives you the best of both worlds. You need to have a better flowing exhaust system before you would benifit from any air box modifications.

·
Registered
788 Posts
When you guys and gals cut slots out of your air cage, did you upgrade the filter? Or is it OK to just keep the stock filter element on it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts