Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well from the start most of you might know i am involved in another post about racing an ltr 450...... i was out for a quick run to see if i could get a little better hang on gettig the holeshot, after about 30 min or so i decided to come home and give my bike a quick look over, makeing sure the right air was in the tires, chain was lubed and oil was at the right levels ect ect then i though HMMMMM wonder how dirty my air filter is.....

well i took the lid of and suprisingly clean then under the air box lid their is this plastic piece that is held on by 4 screws it sort of funnles the air to the sides.

i took this off and am currious will i get more air flow or just better flow or both ????? by taking this off am i changing air/fuel ratio at all ???

i noticed the ehs lid doesnt have this piece on the bottem and iam currious is it worth it to leave it off ???

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Ask Jeff - he can attest to how well it works. His quad vs mine after a full day of riding in the mudd.
so in short your telling me it will let more mud in ? well i usually dont ride in mud any way and when i do its usually vary little 6" tops
Yep. Mud, dirt, sand, water - all of it. With out the lid it turns into a bucket... QUICK!

Gary had the EHS lid on his and he and I went everywhere together... i had to drain my airbox twice. His was almost bone dry.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I removed the inner plastic piece right away, before i got the EHS lid. Its made to funnel the water and stuff away from the filter, down to the bottom of the box. I did notice that with the inner piece removed, my filter took quite a beating.Not a problem with the EHS kits, since they are watertight, after a little shoo-goo

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have cut the hole top off my air box lid,, added a small bit of plastic at the front to help form it a bit, (I have a pclll for fuel) ,,, anyway it goes like a raped dog now,,, tons of dirt, mud, everything gets in there, but as long as your filter is well oiled nothing will pass though,, and clean your filter every ride,,,I have three filters !!! on a super dusty trail I use two in a day,, you can hear the pipe go dull as the bike gets to rich from a dirty filter!!!

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Other than making a snorkle, you'll be out of luck. Here's something that I did on my last creek ride that served me very well.

I pulled out the water plug and left it out. This way my air box wasn't a catch basin for everything that entered the box. The water deflector that is part of the stock lid did a pretty good job of keeping the water and gunk out of the filter. You could also put this same deflector back in with the EHS lid setup and serve the same purpose.

Club | 700 | xx

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I wonder when K&N will make one of their airbox lids for this thing?
I wondered that same thing at first but i've turned anti K&N lately because of all the dust and issues. I had one on the quad and in my diesel and pulled them both out. I did the same thing with my z28 a few years ago and went back to paper filters. Quad has a foam filter and was INFINITELY easier to clean this weekend.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you pull the plug, wont that be another entry point even lower? Wouldnt the intake suck in more water? Hmmm..

Make a snorkel huh? How about marine grade hose from airbox up to the headlight?

What about the exhaust? Any stealth way?

I would think a juice box would be necessary given the restriction.. .Uni or K&N to offset with outerwear.

Relocate the airbox up front, then water tight hose to headlight.. even more hmmmm..

No idea, just thoughts.
Anyone make a system for sport bikes? I wish they would have place the airbox higher up given these are hybrids targeted at the 4x4 guy who dosent want a 4x4.

Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
Yes, it's another entry point but usually you're only in the water like that for a few seconds and it just drains right out. Also, if you're very concerned about that then you can also get on-way valves for the drains so water goes out but doesn't come back in.

Moving the airbox up front would be another way to fix it, but you would need to put an EGR valve on the breather hode that dumps into your filter so that you don't introduce water into your oil.

On a similarly linked sidenote, one weekend I went through a LOT of deep water and mud and sand and the next time I went riding my key didn't work. To make a long story short the lock had gotten filled with dirt and the tumblers would no longer move. So, moving the lock higher would also help prevent that happening again. The Honda dealer simply too the lock off, turned it upside down and WD40-d it until all the crap came out.

Club | 700 | xx

·
Registered
364 Posts
We are on to something.

What is an EGR valve?

Also, what about the exhaust? Anything we need to be concerned if sinking.

I was in deep water for 30 seconds or so as I dug out... not seconds. was scary, hit the panic button in second gear and generated enough wheel spin to raise up and out.

·
Premium Member
6,389 Posts
It's a one-way valve that manufacturers put on engines to vent exhaust gasses from the crankase. (you can get them cheap at your local auto parts store)

The exhaust in my experience is fine so long as you're running and not idling. I alsoway water-wheelie through deep water to keep the intake from being underwater so the outlet to the muffler always is under water and I've never had any problems.

Club | 700 | xx

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I sunk mine unexpectedly the first time I was out riding, The bike floated enough to not get water in the box. I now do not assume its not "that deep"

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
No a PCV work. There is no way to safeguard your bike if you go in to deep of water. If you are looking to really put your bike through something like that you can only get a snorkel and exhaust extensions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts