Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cleaning air filter.
1. Buy to 10 litre buckets with lids you can seal.
2. Fill each one with 5 liters of Turps or Kero. (I like Turps)
3. Have one as the first clean, then the second one for the final clean
4. I then rinse the filters out in soapy water then rinse with clean water.
5. Hang on line to dry.
6. Oil filter
^^^^^^^I found this method listed above in another thread. ^^^^^^^^^^

After trying this method above for filter cleaning. I am wondering if the filter will still have the smell of the cleaner after several rinses? And if it does is that okay? Cause I cant seam to get the kerosene smell out of my filter. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I cleaned my filters yesterday, and let them dry over night. Went out to oil them today and they still smelled highly flammable. So I rinsed them a few more times and let dry. Still had strong odor. So I re washed them 2 more times with simple green. And rinsed thoroughly. Still I smell kerosene. I think next time I will try the filter cleaner. This seams like its way to hard, and time consuming. For those of you that have more than one filter for your quad, do you clean them all at one time, and just oil them before installing? Probably a dumb question, but had to ask. I sure don't have anywhere to store a oiled filter except for in my air box, lol

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
What I like to do is keep one fresh oiled filter ready to go. When I get done riding I'll clean the machine replace the dirty filter with the clean one and clean the dirty one when I get a chance to, let it dry and re-oil it. No Toil is so easy you can clean your filter in your kitchen sink.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I will try that out next time for sure. I seen the video with the washing machine. My wife woud kick my ass for sure, but I may get away with the sink IDK maybe not.

And I guess I could store 2nd oiled filter in a bag, up in the garage rafters. Thanks for idea, still wondering about kerosene odor.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I actually just use a bucket for cleaning and rinse the soap out in the sink. No need to get the wife in an uproar...

Hmmm... Maybe wait till she's out to clean your filters? Ha ha ha...

Also I've used mineral spirits to clean filters with regular filter oil in the past. Not as dangerous as kerosene...

Just be sure to really get all the old oils and solvents out of the filters before you swith to the notoil. Might just be easier to get some new filters from rockymountain. They're cheap enough...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/213/734/8695/15516/No-Toil-Pre-Oiled-Air-Filter

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
M_Quick,
I recommend against using turpentine or kerosene on the foam filters. The reason being is that these chemicals will destroy the filter in short order. If you notice the commercially prepared foam and fabric air cleaner solvents specifically state "Will not harm filters glues". Products, such as PJ1 Air Cleaner are water soluble and are very effective. The follow-on treatment is PJ1 Foam Filter Treatment Spray. Each item is between 8-10 Dollars. They can be purchased at any motorcycle shop along with other brands that work as well. The filter treatment comes in two types, one is the "Super Tacky" the other is the "Regular". I prefer the former because it really cleans the incoming air. It is also water soluble so cleaning is simple. If using the PJ1 Treatment, I suggest spraying the cleaned and dried foam and, using disposable plastic gloves (Dollar Tree 100 for $1.00), to then gently kneed the treatment to distribute it throughout the air cleaner. Get the air cleaner on the metal frame before removing the gloves to prevent getting it everywhere. Hope this helps.
Sid

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does help thanks, and after viewing all the youtube video's on this. My filters were no where near dirty! I always hear them say not to use gasoline, not really specific on kerosene or turpentine. I do know the kerosene cuts right through the pj1 oil I use. But takes for ever to get the kerosene smell out of the filter. And the price of kerosene now I think it would of been cheaper getting the foam cleaner you mentioned or the no-toil stuff Mcb71 uses.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I used dawn dish detergent to clean my foam filters, and it works great since dawn cuts grease so well. Let it dry then apply some silkolene foam filter oil, that is tacky after it cures. Been doing this for a long time and never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
fhibbs12,
Just apply the oil in an even fashion. If you think you over oiled it just squeeze it do not wring the foam or it might tear. After that you should be ok. Usually if it is over oiled the excess will end up in the bottom of the filter housing (a mess to clean up). Just take your time and try to oil it lightly and evenly as you can. As I mentioned in my earlier post, kneed it in gently.
Don't forget the inside of the filter.
Sid

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used dawn dish detergent to clean my foam filters, and it works great since dawn cuts grease so well. Let it dry then apply some silkolene foam filter oil, that is tacky after it cures. Been doing this for a long time and never had any problems.

As tacky as that oil is, I'm surprised dawn would work. Not saying I don't believe it will though. That powder no toil stuff looks like its the shit. But man dude's filter in video was almost solid black!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
cleaning air filter.
1. Buy to 10 litre buckets with lids you can seal.
2. Fill each one with 5 liters of Turps or Kero. (I like Turps)
3. Have one as the first clean, then the second one for the final clean
4. I then rinse the filters out in soapy water then rinse with clean water.
5. Hang on line to dry.
6. Oil filter
^^^^^^^I found this method listed above in another thread. ^^^^^^^^^^

After trying this method above for filter cleaning. I am wondering if the filter will still have the smell of the cleaner after several rinses? And if it does is that okay? Cause I cant seam to get the kerosene smell out of my filter. Thanks for any help.
I wouldn't worry about the smell. I have always used gas, which leaves a strong smell,and never had any problems. I am not saying for you to use gas, just saying the smell will not be an issue. You end up covering it in oil, so what little solvent left is diluted and the flash point is nearly that of the pure filter oil.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Kerosene or parrafin is just aviation fuel and not the easiest to ignite...
I wouldnt worry about it personally as you can stub a cigarette out in it,along with diesel without ignition..
I use washing up liquid, a detergent , rinse and hang up to dry..
when dry put it in a plastic bag along with your filter oil and scrunch up..
You get a nicely oiled filter but do not get covered in the stuff!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I did finally get it to smell like simple green after a couple more washes the 2nd time around. And I use the plastic bag trick as well as gloves. So far I've just been buying filters and oiling them. This year had to break down a clean them. I know a lot recommended more than one filter so I bought them as needed till this year.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
As tacky as that oil is, I'm surprised dawn would work. Not saying I don't believe it will though. That powder no toil stuff looks like its the shit. But man dude's filter in video was almost solid black!
You would be surprised at what dawn and a sink full of hot water can achieve.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been using the 2 bucket method with a couple filters. So far filter still is in good shape, even thou the Uni stamp is hardly visible on this one. IDK why because the other one is fine and I clean them the same. I'm thinking of using e85, to clean them with next time. I was getting quad ready for West Virginia, and checked filter. It only had one ride on it from 10/20/13 at Wayne National Forest. We rode 45 miles, and look at the filter! Looks as if I just changed it, that's how perfect the trails were that day. Not to muddy, little to no dust, and hardly any traffic on that Sunday!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I clean with dawn also. I keep two filters for each machine. One in it and one cleaned and re-oiled for the next time. I clean in a shop sink in hot water and dawn. wash let dry overnight and re-oil in a ziploc bag. freezer bags are the strongest and don't tear easily. my oiling method is simple. spray a light coat then put in bag and knead. don't wring. add another coat of oil if needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts