Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here, that still runs a stock foam filter, ever used K&N filter oil and cleaner on it and if they did is it OK to use? Just wondering because I have a bunch left over from my trucks and its time to clean the filter.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I am with scuzz, that's all I use. I just buy a box of rubber gloves otherwise your screwed. Almost like putting glue on your hands.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
The K&N cleaner worked wonderfull for the cleaning then i tride the oil and it took almost a whole can to cover it after ringing it out i put it back on and i still have to take the catch tube off the bottem of the breater box and empty the oil out of it
The K$N oil does the job it just takes alot and it is so thin it constently drips i would not recomend using it at all

·
Registered
446 Posts
Has anyone here, that still runs a stock foam filter, ever used K&N filter oil and cleaner on it and if they did is it OK to use? Just wondering because I have a bunch left over from my trucks and its time to clean the filter.
The dealer warned me when I bought it that the K&N filter cleaner/oil will destroy your foam filter. you may get 1 or 2 cleanings out of it before you will have to buy a new one. Use Foam filter cleaner and oil if you want it to last.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Only thing I ever use is Bel Ray foam filter oil, tackiest stuff ever, need to use gasoline to remove from my hands if not wearing gloves.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I have not. I've always used this stuff:

The stuff you have to work in my hand is a effing mess. It's bad enough to where you wouldn't want to wish it on an enemy.

I only use this till Silkolene came out with there own.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Only thing I ever use is Bel Ray foam filter oil, tackiest stuff ever, need to use gasoline to remove from my hands if not wearing gloves.
Put oil and filter in a ziplok bag. I used Bel Ray in the 80's and this was a easy way to do it (and cleaner):D

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I use for years and no problem with sandy trail!

Maxima FFT is the culmination of 3 years development program which resulted in a synthetic polymer formulation that flows 4-12% more air and retains up to 8% more contaminates than all other brands. Resists both water and gasoline “fogging” wash out. Will not migrate off the filter, or dry out. Special solvent will not adversely effect either the foam element or the cement utilized to bond them together.

Features:

* Increased air flow
* Greater contaminate retention
* Water resistant
* Resists “wash out” from carburetor fogging
* Will not dry out
* Super “tacky” formula
* Color - blue

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
idk what i use but its not in a spray can

·
Registered
102 Posts
Regular 30w-40w oil is fine its been used for years. Theres no need for some super special tacky spray.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Put oil and filter in a ziplok bag. I used Bel Ray in the 80's and this was a easy way to do it (and cleaner):D
Yup, that is how I have been doing it lately and works great, I always manage to get some oil in my hands though! Simple green hand cleaner has worked great to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I used to use whatever motor oil I ran in that bike, usually GN4 10w40. I never had any issues in doing this so it must work pretty good. A few years back I switched to Bel-Ray, good is good.....but I think that the sticky is better at stopping particles. Either one is good in my book though. Not sure about the K&N on a foam filter, never heard of doing that. I use a ziplock bag and then pour the excess back in the filter oil jug.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had been using some Maxima air filter oil but I had run out. I did end up using the K&N oil and seems to be a little runny but I am sure it is fine. I will just pick up some more oil for next time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm trying to clean my filter. I can't find any filter cleaner in stock or not on back order in my area so UNI site said dish soap or simple green. I used dish soap yesterday barely did anything to get rid of the old filter oil. Used simple green today and got rid of a little bit more of the old filter oil.

So my question is does it matter if there is some old filter oil left on the filter.....like is that normal no matter what you use?

·
Registered
734 Posts
To tell you the truth I have always left it in a simple green solution for about an hour, rinse it well, clean it with Dawn liquid soap, let it air dry and reoil. It does not remove all the old oil from the foam but all the dirt is gone so I'm guessing no harm no foul. Been doing it like this from my dirtbike days 15 years ago. Also every once in a while I clean it with gasoline to get it cleaaaaaannnn.

·
Registered
734 Posts
+1, have heard good things on kerosene. Also have heard that it works awesome for the chain, it's o-ring safe too.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I use the K&N cleaner but not the oil. Cleaner works well, but the oil is just too thin. PJ1 for me as well.

roadkill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts