Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of the members use the UNI filter with a EHS lid.

Am I right in thinking that I can get the same kind of result with the EHS lid and moding the stock air filter cage? My assumption is that it's the restriction of the stock cage that limits air flow. My intention would be to slot (cut) out the stock cage a bit to allow more air flow and use the stock foam filter and EHS lid.... or is there something I'm missing in my assumption?

roadkill

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
roadkill thats what i done cut three slots in stock cage and using stock filter rather than get a pro design or velocity kit i am eventually going to get a uni though hopefully the result is the same as buying the kit with flange cutting cage is cheaper than kit i cut the screen with a four inch grinder with a diamond blade i use to cut ceramic tile with very easy!

·
Registered
306 Posts

Here is what we did and it has worked perfect. The most restrictive part of the filter is the cage. It really depends if you had some motorwork that would require more flow. We used Moose filters with EHS lid and a modified cage and it dyno'd great.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... that is exactly what I had in mind. No motor work, but do plan on getting the new HMF comp system or the complete big 3 kit from EHS.

roadkill

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not sure on the xx but on the raptor, the stock plastic filter base opening is also smaller in diameter than the pro design so there is less restriction with the latter and is the same diameter as the intake tube (boot). Just something to check.

·
Registered
452 Posts
what about running with out the cage?? i took off my stocker to clean it... it was nasty an real sticky do this sound right?? jus clean it woth warm water n detergant??

·
Registered
306 Posts
what about running with out the cage?? i took off my stocker to clean it... it was nasty an real sticky do this sound right?? jus clean it woth warm water n detergant??
I wouldn't. It will suck the filter together and really prevent air flow. When we cut it there was no issue and it increased our airfow a good bit.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I wouldn't. It will suck the filter together and really prevent air flow. When we cut it there was no issue and it increased our airfow a good bit.
Totally agree.

Use simple green to clean filter as well, detergent wont be so good. If no simple green then you can also use Dawn, works well but not as well as mineral solvent... they say it degrades the glue on the filter but in 15 years of racing had never have this happen.

·
Registered
452 Posts
se what i dont understand is how does one foam filter flow more air the the stock foam filter? i asked b4 an didnt really get an answer. isnt a foam filter jus a foam filter? what makes uni ne different then stock other then the name brand?

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are TONS of different kinds of foam, it can differ on how open the foam cells are. One kind of foam can be WAY different that another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts