Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

Alba Kits Available NOW!

7K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  AlbaPerformance 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I got an email from Matt @ Alba and they now have kits available for the 700XX. Here's what they have:

The wait is over! The Alba research & development team is happy to announce the release of our TRX700XX engine kits! I invite you and your members to check out our website and examine the three levels of performance which we have produced. All three kits consist of top quality components and OEM Honda gaskets.

*The kits utilize three different custom grind cams developed through rigorous and intensive testing. Our main concerns were power, torque, and reliability. The Stage 2 cam is a pure "drop-in" cam which will work fine with your stock valve springs! The Stage 3 "Desert & Endurance" kit uses a more aggressive cam than the Stage 2, although it requires an aftermarket valve spring kit (included in the kit!). The Stage 3 "Aggressive" kit uses a cam that requires hardened rocker arms and a valve spring kit custom made (specifically for this cam) for us by Kibblewhite. The cams cost $209.00, the rocker arms cost $65.00 each (3 required), and the valve spring kits cost $165.00/$183.00.

The pistons, made custom for us by CP piston, are forged with an 11:1 compression ratio. We trust CP with supplying pistons for all of our engine kits, and they truly are the best! A point which is well proven once you have the opportunity to examine these pistons. These pistons have been custom tailored to provide both excellent power and longer life. Certain critical areas of the pistons have been made "extra-strong" to provide exceptional durability. We have had a few failures with the stock Honda pistons which have been attributed to their thin skirts. The improved skirt design provided by CP in combination with the re-enforced crown and bridge are just a few reasons why this piston truly is the best available! The pistons cost $229.99.

The two "Stage 3" kits offer the option of porting. We have spent what seems like countless hours on the flow bench to develop the best port configuration. The porting includes larger intake valves (+1mm) as well as a 5-angle valve job on all four valves. We have increased the flow characteristics dramatically over stock to provide increased power across the entire power band! The porting costs $525.00 plus the price of the valves ($77.18) and valve stem seals ($51.16).

We are also offering to bore your throttle body. After experimenting with several different venturi sizes we have concluded that 46mm gave us the best of both top and bottom end performance.

With three different levels of performance, we have a kit to accommodate anybody from the weekend warrior to the professional racer. All three kits have been tested and proven by Championship pro racer Wayne Matlock. With sweeping wins in last year's SCORE racing series (host to the infamous Baja 250, 500 & 1000!), Wayne has the expertise and ability to provide us with the abuse and feedback we need to build a solid and reliable kit. Basically, Wayne represents the absolute maximum amount of abuse that a person can provide to a quad, which makes him an excellent test rider. Also, his countless hours of seat time allow him to give us the specific and in-depth feedback which we need to thoroughly develop these kits. All three kits provide excellent bottom, mid, and top end power.

To start, we have our Stage 2 engine kit. This kit costs $475.00 and will provide an excellent blend of power and reliability. It comes with the 11:1 CP piston, camshaft, and gasket kit.

The Stage 3 "Desert & Endurance" is the perfect kit for someone wanting more but still wants to keep the reliability for those long and "far from home" rides. This kit is offered with and without porting. The price is $649.00 without, and $1,299.00 with porting. The kit includes the piston, camshaft, valve spring kit, and a gasket kit. When purchased with porting, we also include the larger intake valves and valve stem seals. Note the camshaft in this kit is more aggressive than that of the Stage 2.

The Stage 3 "Aggressive" kit is the pinnacle of performance while still maintaining good reliability. Any component whose design limit may have been exceeded resulting from the kit is replaced with those that have been modified and upgraded. Basically, we filtered out all the weak links of the engine. In the words of Wayne Matlock "This is the fastest quad I have ever ridden!!!"

All three kits are comprehensive and come with everything a person needs to install them (with the exception of a service manual). The kits are available and ready for purchase. Please contact Alba @ 1-800-487-3236 to order the kits. If you have technical questions or need assistance then ask to speak with the Performance Dept. and we will gladly assist in any way we can.

The link to our site where people can view the kits is:

http://www.albaaction.com/motors/trx700.htm

Matt Fasig
Alba Action Sports
Performance Manager
Research & Development
(800) 487-3236 ext. 228

#2 ·
I have IM'd the Admin to make sure that this post doesn't cross the threshold of advertising since it wouldn't be fair that Sonic and others have paid for an ads to keep our home running.

So if this thread disappears...you know why.

#3 ·
I wouldn't mind JUST the cam maybe.... nah... i wanna leave mine internally stock sooooooo bad but this this tempting.

#8 ·
:stupid:I got rid of my 700r raptor for my XX. dont know why someone would go the oppsiite way! LOVIN MY 700XX!!!

#10 ·
:lmao: Here we go again...

We've all experienced the opposite. So maybe you should race someone that maybe knows how to ride?

Oh yeah.. you're the one that downgraded to the 700r. :cry:

My roommate has a 700r and i hand him his ass everytime we go out.

#12 ·
I think both are good quads....but where i ride a raptor would have been tore up in the first month.

One of the guys i work with loves his raptor to death..and im sure its fast, but i will never know. Because he only rides on dunes..which is about 0.001% of the Nevada landscape.

Funny thing is too...everyone that i run into while riding always asks....can you do doughnuts, or can it do a wheelie. Im like follow me then i will show you. They reply with Hell no that trail is too bumpy and rocky.

So my point being...what did you get your quad for? Dunes..fine a SRA will work nice. Launching it off big hills..then the MX built 450's will do nice. Baja racing..well we know who wins there.

I honestly think Yamaha Pays Raptor owners to talk smack about Honda's....at least that what it seems to me.

#18 ·
If anyone is interested I can match Alba's price. The piston's I have are the same as there's with the anti-friction side coating. Alba's piston does not include the coating. I have both the 11:1 & 12:1

There would be no issue with using my piston's with there cams either as they are not as big as the one I an running.

#19 ·
Smooth, are you just selling the piston only? Also, what cam are you using now?
I'm definitely thinking about doing some engine work in the not-too-distant future, and Alba's Stage III sounds pretty sweet.
I'm just gonna hate the downtime because I'll have to take my head off to ship back so they can port/polish. That's probably like 5 weeks of downtime depending on how fast Alba's turnaround is. :( Damn not being in the US for things of this nature. I think the end results might be worth it, though.

#22 ·
Money is no object

C'mon moneybucks! But a 2nd head and have them port that one.

No downtime. (well, less)
Haha...I guess I should just start saying "Money is no object". Right, Scuzz?

Smooth, I'm not planning on undertaking the engine project just yet - maybe in another couple weeks - but I might be interested in doing something like that with you. Thanks for the offer - because I'm definitely down for anything that'll lessen my downtime (insert "Money is no object" here - LOL). I'll PM you before I'm ready to get started though.

#23 ·
Hello everyone!

Greetings!

This is my first official post as a member of this forum. I am a respresentative of Alba, in case my user name wasn't a dead give-away LOL! It is my feelings that this is a quad whose popularity will begin to grow at an exponential rate as people get the opportunity to feel it's true potential. We will do our best to help lead the way as we venture into the realm of TRX700XX high performance.

#25 ·
Hello again!

A few topics have come up which I would appreciate the opportunity to explore.

Being a leader in the ATV performance industry for over 2 decades has helped us to understand the importance of knowing what it takes to provide top quality services to our customers.

*First off, time! Nobody wants to be down and without their machine! For this reason we strive to keep all of our kits on the shelf and ready to sell! Even our porting! While we are doing them by hand at this exact moment, we already have a couple ported heads at the CNC shop getting digitized. This means that in a month or so we will have CNC ported heads on the shelf and ready to send at a moments notice. For now we are turning them around in less than a week!

***A word about our porting: We have spent LITERALLY 100+ HOURS on our Super Flow flow bench to develop what is THE BEST PORT CONFIGURATION AVAILABLE for this head!!! Do not settle for second best! Given we support Wayne Matlock, a Pro-level "full ride" racer; we have had the honor of getting design insight and help from the R&D team at Honda. This, in combination with our Flow Bench gave us the jump-start we needed to be able to ensure that our port configuration is the best available.

*Pistons: We have done hundreds of hours of testing and in doing so have developed a piston whose design far surpasses that of anything currently available for this machine. We have made several improvements to our piston design which could not have been performed without the testing and time invested into this project. We are offering them with and without the coated skirt though in testing found no measured benefit to the coating. If you want it coated, it only costs an extra $25.00!

*Cams: As with the pistons, we have spent a considerable amount of time testing and perfecting our cam profiles! Our most aggressive Stage 3 cam is increasing the lift by over 27%, and the duration has been increased proportionally. Understand that bigger is not necessarily better! We specified certain grinds and profiles to the cam manufacturer to match and accommodate our port configuration. These cams will provide exceptional power without a loss in bottom end and torque. Keep in mind that we even had a custom valve spring kit and custom hardened rocker arms designed to accommodate our aggressive cam, since the standard kit permitted valve floating and measured wear on the rockers 80+ miles into testing! Given this, I would not recommend going with a larger cam!

***I am also offering a discount to any forum members who mention this forum when ordering a kit between now and July 1st, 2009.

Thanks to anybody who took the time to read this post, as it is longer than the average! Sometimes, when you put your heart & soul into a project, it is hard to sum it up in one paragraph!

#26 ·
Dyno Charts!

Hi Scuzz!!! :tup:

I will be glad to post a dyno chart! Though I want to wait until I have a stock unit to create an accurate "before & after" comparison. Ironically, we did not get our dyno tires/wheels until after we started performing modifications. This unit uses an 11" rear wheel, and we had to do a custom setup to be able to mount our slick Hoosier dyno tires. All the "stock" dyno runs I have were conducted with knobby tires, which will not show an accurate horsepower rating.
I will try to get something posted ASAP! :rock:

#28 ·
Alba

Thanks for taking the time to write a longer explaination of your work. Sometimes shorter posts are a bit too cryptic and leave more questions than they answer.

For reliabilities sake do you think the valve springs and hardened rockers are worth it with the mild cam?.....

Linc

#29 ·
Valve spring kits & rocker arms!

Hello Linc,

Good question!

You can never go wrong with hardening the rocker arms. Technically what they are doing is welding a "hardened" material onto the face of the rocker arm. The material they use is very similar to the material they use when hard facing and "hard-welding" the cam lobes. This means you have two equally hard materials riding on each other, where normally the cam material is harder. Allowing both these materials to be of equal strtength will promote longer life and ensure that the cam does not start to "wear into" the rocker arms.

Regarding the valve spring kit, unlike the rocker arms, I would not use an aftermarket kit unless it was needed! Valve spring kits should only be used in times when testing has proven that the stock valve springs are unable to keep the valve in contact with the rocker/cam. The obvious term for this is "valve floating". Aftermarket spring kits utilize stronger spring coils, larger base spacers, lighter retainer materilas (usually titanium), or a combination of all three. The reason why these kits are not good to be used when they are not needed is that with stiffer springs comes increased energy displaced on your valve seats every time the valves close. It also promotes increased wear on the rocker arms since it now requires more force to open the valve. All in all you will have to adjust your valve clearance more frequently because your seats and valves will wear at a faster rate. I am not talking about a night and day difference. It may be as little as 5-10%.

I am glad you asked this question, because it is a common mis-conception. This is why it is so important for us to thoroughly test our kits; so the consumer, ie: you, knows he is getting the correct components and what he wants/needs. In this case I can safely say that our stage 2 kit/cam, while giving a great and reliable boost in power, does not require aftermarket valve springs!

I hope this answered your question. Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

#30 ·
Installed

I just wanted to let everyone know I received my kit from Alba last Friday in time for the long weekend of riding. Here is a list of things I ordered and had done.

1) Stage 3 Desert & Endurance kit with the upgraded "hardened" rocker arms.
2) The head was ported and flowed with Alba's Superflow flow bench. The head port configuration included +1mm oversized intake valves as well as a
5-angle valve job.
3) Piston is forged and has an 11:1 compression ratio.
4) Camshaft with Alba custom grind specifically for the 700XX kit.
5) Valve spring kit with titanium retainers.
6) Throttle body taper-bored to 46mm.
7) Velocity Intake Kit
8) Power Commander V w/Auto Tune.
9) FMF Slip-on Speed Muffler.

I am very pleased with the kit and the performance is very good. I will do an oil change this weekend and get it over to DynoJet early next week and post my results.
Also anyone considering this kit, don't worry about down time Turn around is very quick and customer service is superb. I have never had anyone treat me as good as Matt. He let me know when he received my parts let me know progress and when it was shipping.

#32 ·
There may be a conflict of advertisers but there is not alot of aftermarket company's building parts for the 700xx. I live in England and trying to buy a 700xx and there is about a dozen sold here. When I buy a 700xx all my my parts WILL have to come from the good olde USA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.