Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i know weve all talked about the 13tvs14t time and time again. but what im wanting to know is what you think is the best all around set up?
13front 37,38,39 ect rear
14front 37,38,39 ect rear.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
It would depend on :
Rear tyre size .
Type of terrain you ride on.
Engine mods.

I going back to the 14t front , As I am using 20" rear tyres on 10" ITPs.

As a all rounder , I would think 13t front and 37 rear.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is true there are a lot of other things to take into perspective. im not really sure what the stock rear is either.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so is running a 13t and 38t the same as running 14t 37t or are the back gears different ive heard one in the front is equal to two or three in the rear?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Mechanically in my Head I would say yes, but Mathmatically on Paper the ratios dont add up that way. What I am getting is a ratio of 13:35 Roughly is equal to the same ratio of 14:37. Both Numbers when Crunched actually show the Front sprocket rotating 2.64-2.65 times to achieve 1 rotation on the rear. If I am Wrong Please let me know and Help me to see where I went wrong lol.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that seems to work out when i did it just now so then one tooth down in the front would be like droping two in the rear. i wonder say if running a 13t front and a 38t rear would be a noticible half way point between torque and topend?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Found a Link that Supports my math and Offers an Explanation to it, I recrunched the numbers and a 14:37 would be 2.64:1 and a 13:35 would be approx 2.69:1 Ratio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_ratio

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Seems to me that that would be the Case yes

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
might be worth a try and would be geting a lighter and stronger sprocket is always a plus.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Sure is, Let me know how it goes

·
Registered
29 Posts
just crunching numbers in my head but if you drop one in the front and add two out back your right back to square one. so there would be no gain good or bad. and if you dropped in the front and the back the gearing would just be way low and useless to ride

·
Registered
29 Posts
oh and rear tire size would be a big factor to. I know in cars final drive ratio is based off a 26" tall tire. so were would these ratios be with a 20" tire

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
but if you drop one in the front and add two out back your right back to square one
yes. thats why i was thinking drop one in the front and go up only one in the rear to meet in the middle

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Exactly what is it your looking to do Remington? I'm not seeing where a rear sprocket change is necessary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
14:37...2.64
14:38...2.71
14:39....2.79
14:36...2.57

13:36...2.77
13:37...2.85
13:38...2.92
13:39...3

The larger the number (eg 2.92 compared to 2.57) the more low end torque you will have which means the less top end. So going smaller front and larger rear will give you super low, pulling semi-truck and stuck 4x4 quads out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you drop a tooth on the front and add one on the back, your going to have more of an effect, not back to square one. not making a real difference would be adding or removing teeth to both front and back.

·
Registered
528 Posts
if you drop a tooth on the front and add one on the back, your going to have more of an effect, not back to square one. not making a real difference would be adding or removing teeth to both front and back.

+1 adding teeth in the rear give you acceleration, adding 2 in the rear is close to removing 1 in the front, i think the perfect combo would be 13 front 36 rear to take away some of the grunt from the 13, its a little much sometimes. i am 100% positive it works this way, i play with gearing on my street rides pretty often.

·
Registered
579 Posts
so those of you who are running 13T front & stock( 37 rear) what is the noticable difference? More excelleration off of start & loose a little at top? Or just seems to help it from stalling in low gear?

·
Registered
528 Posts
so those of you who are running 13T front & stock( 37 rear) what is the noticable difference? More excelleration off of start & loose a little at top? Or just seems to help it from stalling in low gear?

all of the above, it makes it accelerate faster and is easier for low speed crawling.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts