Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
all the 13t in front and 38t in back is CRAZY.
If you want to meet in the middle between 13t and 14t front sprocket, use 13t front and 36t in the back or leave front stock at 14t and get a 38t for the back! A 13/38 combo would be like gearing down 3 sizes, 1 in the front = 2 and 1 in back.

The two in green would obviously be a middle ground to the 13/14t conversions.

14:37...2.64 Stock
14:38...2.71 Stock Front +1 rear
14:39....2.79
14:36...2.57

13:36...2.77 -1 front -1 rear
13:37...2.85 Stock rear -1 front
13:38...2.92
13:39...3

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Exactly what is it your looking to do Remington? I'm not seeing where a rear sprocket change is necessary.
im not really sure if it is or not either thats what im trying to see. also a plus would be weight reduction yeah i know its not a lot but every little bit helps. ive been seeing other rear sprockets for sale and was curious.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
all the 13t in front and 38t in back is CRAZY.
If you want to meet in the middle between 13t and 14t front sprocket, use 13t front and 36t in the back or leave front stock at 14t and get a 38t for the back! A 13/38 combo would be like gearing down 3 sizes, 1 in the front = 2 and 1 in back.

The two in green would obviously be a middle ground to the 13/14t conversions.

14:37...2.64 Stock
14:38...2.71 Stock Front +1 rear
14:39....2.79
14:36...2.57

13:36...2.77 -1 front -1 rear
13:37...2.85 Stock rear -1 front
13:38...2.92
13:39...3
Ya beat me to it. Adding a tooth to the rear sprocket would just lower your gear ratio even more... if it's on top of doing a 13t front. I think that people do the front sprocket change because it's the easiest to do compared to changing the rear sprocket and there are readily available front sprockets out there to choose from. I've been thinking of adding a 36t rear sprocket to my 13t front and decided to do some internet searching for a suitable sprocket... no luck. 37t is the smallest made for a Honda of any model. Most use a 38t or 39t and that would be going in the wrong direction.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Sprockets that I found availible are:
Front 12-15t
Rear 37-40t

Just changed my rear sprocket and was not that bad to do .
One recommendation I would make is loosen the left rear hub nut FIRST. It is kinda tight.

·
Registered
528 Posts
instead of doing a 13 front 36 rear you could only do a 38 rear with stock front, its about the same thing

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok so other than being able to split the difference of a 13t drop what other benifits are there for changing the rear sprocket? simplyorange do you guys change both your sprockets if any on ur street bikes for better preformance?

·
Registered
528 Posts
we change both sprockets, but mostly we go down one in the front and up 2 in the rear max and thats for drag racing, on my gsxr i run -1 front and stock rear for drag racing and for the track i run -1 front -1 rear because i found that just the -1 front and stock rear is a little much and it tries to break the rear tire loose when accelerating out of a curve.the thing about a bike is we have twice as much rpm range that is more leniant on gearing than a quad.

on my xx i found the -1 is fun for me on dirt and i feel it will be sufficient for sand as well. if its a little much for you then i reccommend only a 38 rear, this isnt as big of a jump as a 13t and it keeps you from having to buy two gears.really i havent noticed much of a difference on a streetbike between a -1 front and +2 rear. i think a 38 rear stock front on an xx would be a good set-up because itll keep it in the powerband but thats my personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
The XX and a street bike have totally different characteristics. The gear change on the XX is plenty fine with just a simple one or two tooth change on the front. Reason being is the XX makes a fair amount of power across the entire spread. As you know a street bike has more of what we would call a "powerband" that you would need to tailor to according to your riding (stunt, circle track, street racing etc)
If someone wanted to change the rear sprocket on the XX that is fine but I honestly find it unnecessary. We all have different goals though so someone else may feel it justified, I just can't see where it is that critical to find a ratio between a 14t and 13t change.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I agree with Smo0oth, plus just look at the size of a rear sprocket on a rocket compared to our xx's. It is massive, so even relating a tooth on the rocket would be almost like comparing 1.2 or more teeth on the xx. It is kind of like comparing apples to oranges IMO. Plus the whole powerband thing, where my rocket hits around 7200 rpm, and the XX obviously pushes throughout most of the RPM band. IMO anyway.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with Smo0oth, plus just look at the size of a rear sprocket on a rocket compared to our xx's. It is massive, so even relating a tooth on the rocket would be almost like comparing 1.2 or more teeth on the xx. It is kind of like comparing apples to oranges IMO. Plus the whole powerband thing, where my rocket hits around 7200 rpm, and the XX obviously pushes throughout most of the RPM band. IMO anyway.
the concept is still the same, going up one in the rear is less agressive than going down 1 in the front. gearing is gearing and it all works the same no matter what vehicle, the relation with chains and gear reduction is the same.

on a bike its more crucial because you are talking about controlling 185hp to one tire as to 65 or whatever these bikes make on two tires

i agree with smooth that a rear is unnessicary unless you are dead set on being between a 13t and 14t. for me the price difference was too much,and i like the 13t for my personal preference. plus it looks like the rear is a pita to install.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Who carries the rear sprockets?I haven't had any luck finding them.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
there are several from moose racing on ebay

·
Registered
364 Posts
What about larger rear tires? I was thinking of the kenda bear claws 25x12.5x11 with 22 fronts.

will 13T be to much with the larger tires?

My riding is a lot of quick rips, I do not cruise at 85 mph, although I have toped her out once in a while.

I love a nice kick in the @ss when I nail in 3rd gear.

But most of my riding is hills, mud, loose gravel, water, short trails, and crawling.

Name my sprocket...

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
My opinion... 13t for sure. The larger (taller) rear tires... 1. Give you higher top speed. 2. Require more torque to turn. 3. Gives you higher gearing in ALL gears.
Need to bring back some of the low end you would loose with taller tires. 13t would bring back some of the quickness. Quickness and speed is NOT the same thing.

roadkill

·
Registered
528 Posts
My opinion... 13t for sure. The larger (taller) rear tires... 1. Give you higher top speed. 2. Require more torque to turn. 3. Gives you higher gearing in ALL gears.
Need to bring back some of the low end you would loose with taller tires. 13t would bring back some of the quickness. Quickness and speed is NOT the same thing.

roadkill

i second this notion

·
Registered
364 Posts
To me, crawling and quickness is more important than top speed. In fact, 65 mph is fast enough.. Just want to hit it in 3 seconds.

So 12? I was planning on 13T on stock rears.

So riddle me this. Going to 25 rears adds approx how many "teeth"? Equivalent to 15?

Come on you math people, join forces and solve this riddle!

·
Registered
528 Posts
To me, crawling and quickness is more important than top speed. In fact, 65 mph is fast enough.. Just want to hit it in 3 seconds.

So riddle me this. Going to 25 rears adds approx how many "teeth"? Equivalent to 15?

geeze, the 25 rear and 13t would be close to stock

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

I use a 13t with 22" rears... Maxxis, but still 22" That combo works just fine for me and I do quite a bit of crawling on tight technical stuff.
As for the math part... math and my brain are not friends. Just thinking about this has given me a migraine.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I was running 20" rears and the 13t front. I did some quick calculations and going back to the 14t is basically the same as 13t and 22" rears. I woul;d like a 36t rear to make this better ,But cannot find one. Maybe call Sidewinder .:D

21 - 40 of 45 Posts