Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
Yep... became a newbie today! I bought a New leftover and last one they had 2008 TRX700XX Red - Black today.... excited, hope it is a wise choice, considered a TRX450ER.. But as a 48 yr old male, not a racer, never raced, was looking for a trail riding machine with family and blowing off steam.. OK STRESS!

I have a question, and since I read the brochure for this it's begining to haunt/bug me... "EXTENDED WARRANTY - HondaCare" should I do it?________

I have just a very short time period to decide, the dealer allowed me pretty much 24 hours or so to do so... The Cost is $510 for an additional 36 mo/ of coverage beyond the 1yr that it comes with. I believe it's the Platinum Plan but marked N/A for both Tire & Wheel and GAP.

DO I DO IT... OR OK WITHOUT?______________ Yes____ No_______ and why you feel this way____________ please!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, and good choice in colors. As for the warranty, I did purchase the extended plan but mainly because I am hard on my toys. Either way, with the price I paid for the xx, I could afford a little more protection. I haggled with the dealership and got a good price on both. Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... Plan, Term, Cost... please

Congrats on the purchase, and good choice in colors. As for the warranty, I did purchase the extended plan but mainly because I am hard on my toys. Either way, with the price I paid for the xx, I could afford a little more protection. I haggled with the dealership and got a good price on both. Good luck and hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick reply... Can you share as to what warranty you purch: coverage, term in addition to 1 yr std., and cost for it?_______

Pd. $4,800 OTD / They want $510 for addt'l 36 mos.

Thank You!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
700, just like a car warranty, your quad warranty will only work for the most part with manufacturer defects. There are a few people on here that have had issues with warranty issues. Honda's are very reliable. Not knocking you, but given your age and the criteria you said was the reason for purchasing this, I don't foresee you beating on it nearly as hard as some of us younger people. I haven't seen many people try warranty claims, mostly b/c they run forever. I personally had the oil ring go on mine, but I had it well over 2 years, race it and everything, and know for a fact the dealer wouldn't cover this. I have seen people be able to get new CV boots if theirs tear though under warranty for free and free labor. I personally would save the 510 to buy other things for the machine, like tires, and if you have issues with it, there are tons of people here that can help. If you put where you live, that would help too, as everyone on here is more than willing to do what it takes to see another person on the trail.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i wouldnt get the extended warranty, alot of things you do to your quad can void warranties and for the 500 bucks this can pretty much fix anything if by chance something were to go wrong later

·
Registered
377 Posts
I paid $5000 for my quad and $450 for 3 extra years or warranty. I maybe be wasting my money but I have never had major issues with any Japannesse products. I did it mostly for engine care.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My concern is...

I know Honda's are bulletproof as they say, reliable, little issues, etc. I have had 2 road bikes in the past...

My concern with this is that the TRX700XX is all new, new design and build from ground up, engine as well... along with being the first year production for 2008. I'm certain that the engineering has been well thought out and proven from such a company... but never owned a 1st year run product from them, thinking in terms of automotive... things come up, but usually covered by recall I guess, right?

I'd rather save the $$$ NO DOUBT.. and am leaning that way at this point!

·
Registered
323 Posts
It may have some new tech, but it's really very old tech wrapped in a new package. If you look at the overall, it's a tube steel frame with a revamped XR650 engine. Not much there...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Thank You for the comforting feedback...

It may have some new tech, but it's really very old tech wrapped in a new package. If you look at the overall, it's a tub steel frame with a revamped XR650 engine. Not much there...
Thanks...

I have been checking out the site.. a lot of good stuff, glad I found it, glad to be here!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
pass on the warranty... even if something breaks they try to blame it on you anyways and cite misuse....

·
Registered
446 Posts
oh, and welcome to the site =)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally took it out for a spin.....

Hi Guys... I finally had a couple of hours to take it out for a ride. No trails really, just headed out to a relatives house and did some dirt road riding mainly..

I am a bit concerned about a few things on my behalf:

1. Having never owned an Quad (a few Honda road bikes though), I was told to get a pair of good boots, that I will need them for protection, etc. So I picked up a pair of "AlpineStar Tech3" boots, they fit great at the store, narrow fit, narrow toe style... all seemed to be good. However, I wore them for the 1st time on my 1st ride. I can't shift with these things!!! I can't seem to get the feel of shifting, I stalled the machine once, couldn't succesfully feel what gear I was in, a few mis-shifts (no over reving or anything) they felt lodged in under the shifter at times. I went through this for an hour... frustrated and not wanting to damage the trans or anything swithced back to regular thinner leather work type boots and all seemed fine, as in my road bike days... I could feel the shift on the top of my foot going through gears, etc. FRUSTRATING.. don't know what the heck to do... try to take them back, keep them and maybe they'll loosten up..... feels awkward, don't want to damage the 700's trans, etc.! Any Advice???_________

Could I have done or will do damage to the trans with this shifting handicap?___________

2. I didn't baby the machine by any means, referring to concerns above (bummed, hoping no damage was done). I did go through the broad range of rpm's, low, mid and higher speeds for a few, maybe hitting 50-60 mph for short bursts of about 30 seconds or so then backing down, etc. Is this OK?________________

I did down shift and naturally the engine would rev a bit in doing so... is this alright to do when breaking in?________ Alright long term?_______

I only spent about 1.5 hours riding around... again mostly dirt roads. I loved the way the machine felt, the power, the suspension. I can't wait to get a good ride in with my 9 yr old son and his TRX90 riding on some trails... As I rode with the new AlpineStar boots, I recalled my son riding his TRX90 and his new Fox Comp 3 boots that I bought him. The difficulty with his shifting. He eventually got better, but I noticed that his shifter is a bit tweeked inward creating an angle that acomodates the boots fit beneath the shifter.

I appreciate the feedback guys... new to the whole ATV thing, with a new machine, just want to do the right thing and not any damage or harm in the process of having FUN!

Thank You and Sorry for the length...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Adjust the shifter up one notch on the splines. Wear the boots in the house for a few days or outside for a decent walk. You'll get used to them. I wear Tech 8s and can shift my XX with the shifter adjusted up a bit. You can also get stuff like a Hammerhead shifter which is adjustable in other ways. Keep the boots....you'll be glad you did if you ever have a big get off.

Break in should be more about thermal cycling than anything else. Get it hot, cool it down. 3-4 times and you're good to go. Change the oil and ride it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
like av said, adjust the shifter up a little bit for the boots, they are hard to get used to but will save your ankle if you ever have a problem. As far as riding the machine in I've heard of people babying them for the first little bit but I figure break it in like you ride it, just make sure to change the oil after the first ride and every 2-3 for the next few.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
every new pair of boots I get I wear for a day, whether they dig into my ankle or not to try and break them in so they aren't as stiff. I'd break them in and try riding. Then if you are having problems, adjust the shift lever. Other than that, I would def keep them as they are handy. For break in, there are some threads here, everyone is different. As long as you keep up on your maintenance, and change the oil after the first few hours to get any of the left over metal or anything out that could be inthere from the manufacture process you should be good. Just do the upkeep as much as you can, oil changes and clean the air filter and you will not have any problems. These tranny's and engines are "bullet proof". it takes a lot to screw it up, and no I am 100% sure you didn't do any harm during your ride.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Red and black is a little slower in the turns but on the straight away it passes all the rest. LOL

I crashed a year ago and ripped my boots after I just broke them in so they could bend. I used GOOP to mend them back together and it worked. Save me $150.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Guys... Did it, it Did it !!!

Rotated the shifter up a notch... did the same for my son's TRX90, he was having a hard time with his Beefy looking Fox Comp 3's. I had to use a Dremel to grind away a little metal of the shift lever to follow the curvature/clearance of the pull start case. "Dad, this works Awesome Now".

For me, still a bit awkward.. getting used to it though.

For all the helpful advice and confidence boosting... :thanks:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts