Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like guns. Pretty much have have everything I want besides a "black rifle". I am getting ready to order 2 stripped lower receivers an I am wondering if anybody else has one or plans on building one like I am.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I built one a few years ago. AGP lower, rra 2 stage trigger, bcm upper, 16" medium length gas system, medium 4-rail handguard, grip-pod, magpul stock and grip. Troy back up sights and primary arms m3 red dot.
Theyre really simple to put together and fun to shoot. I just wish i had built an ar-10 instead of an ar-15, lots more uses. Have fun!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I still can't figure out the big fascination with AR's. Cool to look at yes. Fun to shoot? No. They are uncomfortable. Pistol grips belong on pistols. I changed the grip out on mine to one that is a little more comfortable but it still puts my wrist at an odd angle and I don't like it.

I'd much rather shoot my SKS.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm about to start an AR-15 build. I was looking at the Del-Ton poly carb lower. Has anyone had experience with these? My buddy built 3 of them and they seem nice and make the gun light as hell.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I still can't figure out the big fascination with AR's. Cool to look at yes. Fun to shoot? No. They are uncomfortable. Pistol grips belong on pistols. I changed the grip out on mine to one that is a little more comfortable but it still puts my wrist at an odd angle and I don't like it.

I'd much rather shoot my SKS.
That's weird. Pistol grip on a rifle puts your wrist in a more natural position. That's why thumb hole stocks are so comfortable. And the reduced recoil on the AR platform makes them a lot more comfortable to shoot than a bolt action rifle. I think they make great varmint rigs if you put a real barrel on them.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ar is about the most comfortable gun to shoot. If setup to your liking. I am gonna go with sun devil lower and upper, haven't decided much else yet. Magpul grp nd butt stock. I haven't even deicided what caliber yet.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
if you want to do something custom but want to keep the AR-15 lower, build it for 6.8 SPC. You'll get a lot more punch but ammo can be hard to fine. I reload my own stuff so ill probably be switching over to 6.8 until i get the ar-10, or a another bolt gun, built.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I want to build a flat top AR-10 with a stainless bull barrel but shit's too expensive.

This is my 15.

I use it for coyote hunting. It's small for ease of carry in the woods and it was easy to mount a light to.

I got it because I think they look cool, but it's not that fun to shoot.

First time I took it shooting, to sight it in.

I will admit, the gun is accurate. 20 rounds there. Keeps a pretty damn good grouping.

I just don't like the grip design. I'd rather have a normal stock on it.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Much more fun to shoot. And it can be changed between single shot and semi auto.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am looking for a bit more on the accuracy. I have a 700 remington with thumbhole that'll shoot under 1/2 inch all day. I want an ar that will stay under an inch,I am thinking 204 ruger with 20 in barrel, free float tube, stainless fluted barrel. I spend more on guns than my xx.

On a side note, I am looking for a sun devil upper, no forward assist but with deflector,if anybody has seen one for sale, has to be new in box. Might buy 2, a 223 pistl with 30 rd clip would be intimidating.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you want to do something custom but want to keep the AR-15 lower, build it for 6.8 SPC. You'll get a lot more punch but ammo can be hard to fine. I reload my own stuff so ill probably be switching over to 6.8 until i get the ar-10, or a another bolt gun, built.
There is no advantage to the 6.8. If you want a longer range AR build a .308.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The pic of the target is the first 20 bullets I ever put through the gun, and the first time I ever shot an AR.

And those are off the factory iron sights. The irons hold a tighter group than the red dot does.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am looking for a bit more on the accuracy. I have a 700 remington with thumbhole that'll shoot under 1/2 inch all day. I want an ar that will stay under an inch,I am thinking 204 ruger with 20 in barrel, free float tube, stainless fluted barrel. I spend more on guns than my xx.

On a side note, I am looking for a sun devil upper, no forward assist but with deflector,if anybody has seen one for sale, has to be new in box. Might buy 2, a 223 pistl with 30 rd clip would be intimidating.
I wouldn't build a 204 either. Ha ha. .223 is a very accurate cartridge, has more range, a larger selection of bullets, and is way cheaper to shoot.

·
Registered
455 Posts
.223 is weak. Screw that stuff. 5.56 is where it's at. :D

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
There is no advantage to the 6.8. If you want a longer range AR build a .308.
its got a hell of a lot more knock down power than 223/5.56. I agree, its nowhere near a .308 but that requires a completely different lower, 6.8 will fit in the same mags as .223

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not looking for a deer rifle, looking for a good coyote gun. I get ammunition at cost, all accessories at cost. Got friends in good places.

·
Registered
53 Posts
its got a hell of a lot more knock down power than 223/5.56. I agree, its nowhere near a .308 but that requires a completely different lower, 6.8 will fit in the same mags as .223
More knock down power for what? There is nothing you will be shooting with an AR where a 6.8 SPC would be a better round... except people. The 6.8 uses a small cartridge and a short bullet. That means fast burning powders (loud as shit out of a 16" barrel) and crappy long range performance. The shorter the bullet, the lower the ballistic co-efficiency. The .223 is proven to be extremely accurate at long ranges and will kill any varmint you will be shooting with an AR beyond ranges most people are capable of shooting. And like I said, huge bullet selection. Sure they make a ton of .277 cal bullets you could use in the 6.8 but you start looking at longer bullets and you'll have to seat them way too deep to avoid hitting the rifling or having issues with them not fitting in the mag. Not to mention the horribly slow velocities because the 6.8 has no poop for that size bullet. So like I said, if you want a more powerful AR, buy a .308 but otherwise buy a .223 because the 6.8 is all marketing and politics, it serves little purpose.

·
Registered
455 Posts
And yet I'm the only person to mention 5.56.........................

I got a case of 1000 rounds of the penetrator 5.56's. You know, in case a deer walks behind a car or something.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 5.56 case is the same as .223 except for the fact that the brass is thicker so it can be loaded about 10,000 psi hotter. So yeah the 5.56 is a little better because of slightly higher velocities but they are essentially the same round.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts