Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I changed my oil today, the longer bolt holding the oil filter cover in place came out and looked to be covered in a milky substance kind of like oil and water mixed together. Not sure what to think of this. The oil itself looked fine. Anybody else witness this at all?:confused:

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
sounds like you been running through those deep ass ohio mud holes too much!

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Nope I haven't noticed that Tory. Have u been starting it for a few minutes to let the batteries charge? If so it may just be some condensation build up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I did my first oil change, I saw what looked to be engine pre-lube on the bolt. It's possible that this was done at the factory to keep the bolt from seizing.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
When I changed my oil today, the longer bolt holding the oil filter cover in place came out and looked to be covered in a milky substance kind of like oil and water mixed together. Not sure what to think of this. The oil itself looked fine. Anybody else witness this at all?:confused:
Do you power/pressure wash youre xx ?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No pressure washing just a hose with a nozzle. Weird thing is, its only on the longer bolt. No other has this on it. Im stumped.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Tory trx,
If it was just a white powdery substance it is corrosion (possibly it mixed with the oil giving it a milky appearance). (The product of a steel bolt threaded into to an aluminum housing (an electrolytic process)). I like it myself because it holds the bolts firmly so I never over tighten them especially that long one. They make a loud pop when loosening them.
Additionally, if you had just cleaned the bike there could have been some water on the head of the bolt that mixed with the oil as you unscrewed it during the oil change. Just a few thoughts.
Sid

1 - 7 of 7 Posts