Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a deal on an 08 with very low use. The downside is that it's been stored outside for the last 14 months. From the photos there is rust on the rear half shafts (probably cosmetic), chain (I'd just replace this) and some rust on the springs. Supposedly this unit has only been used 3-4 hours total time as they live in a urban area and don't have a truck to transport the quad.

It's 3 hours from me so if I go look at it, I'm taking my truck (F250 V10). Anyone have any experience with leaving one of these outside in the northeast and what will be damaged due to this?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Depending on the cost, will it be worth the cost to replace or restore the rusted parts, basically take a major look at the air box and engine compartments, if those look good then the rest should be easy to restore but if you spider webs inside the air box, forget it unless the bike is real cheap.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$2800...and it includes an aftermarket bumper, Pro Armour nerf bars and some skid plates (uninstalled)

Hard to pass up I think...the more I look, the more I see these things being given away....actually causing me to reconsider this model!

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Don't let the cheap prices of these bikes discourage you. They are awesome machines! They haven't really caught on yet IMO. Better snag one while they are still cheap! Oh and I wouldn't store my bike outside unless it had a cover on it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I store mine outside under an overhead. One of my quads is a 91 Bayou and the seat cover went bad from being outside. I replaced it myself with marine vinal for $20. Other than that rust and all it starts up and rides through anything.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never would i store my baby outside if i could it would be in the house. Instead its in the morton building
Heh...ya well...to me they're just stuff...toys. I have room in the shop for my stuff, but if I didn't it really wouldn't bother me to have it live outside. Throw a tarp on it and call it good.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Well, I would drain all the gas out of it and put fresh gas in it. That would be number one. As for the other stuff, chain, maybe sprockets, probably looking at $200 to replace the stuff if that. Don't worry about rust on the axle halfs, that is fine. And like Nash said, check air box and everything else out as well.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
mine sits outside most of the time rust is just cosmetic the way I look at it you ride it through the mud what will it hurt to sit outside

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mine sits outside most of the time rust is just cosmetic the way I look at it you ride it through the mud what will it hurt to sit outside
I agree...however some machines have certain things that happen when they're not stored indoors. For example, some older BMWs will have an issue with the box where the throttle cable splits into 2 for the carbs. My question is more if anyone knows if there are common issues with the 700xx.

thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
My xx and the wife's 330 magnum both sit outside due to lack of a garage. maybe someday i will have a garage but for now a tarp and some bungee cords will work. so far no issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts