Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be a lot of fun to get into racing my quad. I would like to do some xc, but cant find any info on anything in the northwest. I found a little info on some mx racing, but I don't think the xx would do very well for that. not sure. I really don't understand how the classes work either. there doesn't seem to be a class for anything over 450cc. Since I haven't been to any races, I don't know much about them, or how to get involved. Anyone have some info for me? thanks.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a little more searching and found a rules list for the NWQN. It looks like I could race in the 450 open as there is no cc limit.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for all your input on this guys! lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
cross country racing

Hey just came across your post. Check out OMRA website. They have GP quad events that your 700 should be awsome for. these our 90 min races and go thru a variety of terrain. The turn out is any where from 10 to 30 quads for all classes. Go look at their sight and let me know if you have any questions. I live in salem and most of thes races take place in washington but oh well.
Ron
67i
yfz450r

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey just came across your post. Check out OMRA website. They have GP quad events that your 700 should be awsome for. these our 90 min races and go thru a variety of terrain. The turn out is any where from 10 to 30 quads for all classes. Go look at their sight and let me know if you have any questions. I live in salem and most of thes races take place in washington but oh well.
Ron
67i
yfz450r
thanks Ron, this could be exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Ron
67i
yfz450r
Now that's cool. The only race series that came to mind when I read the first post was the WORCS series.... and that's in 5 western states... lots of travel!
This is just one of the reasons why SCCS was created... gave northern California riders an XC series that the average rider can actually do... without needing deep pockets or big time sponsors... OR having to share a race course with dirt bikes. Dirt bikes are a big problem for us in Nor-Cal, even to MX and MX tracks. ATVs may get an occasional practice session at an MX track (between db sessions), but to practice for what? For the most part, the actual race is for db only. We do have some CMC races, but is a series that's shared with the db crowd... then the dirt bikers complain to the promoter about how ATVs ruin the track for them and goodbye to ATV racing at that track... because they cater to the dirt bikes. Really sucks.

roadkill

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Now that's cool. The only race series that came to mind when I read the first post was the WORCS series.... and that's in 5 western states... lots of travel!
This is just one of the reasons why SCCS was created... gave northern California riders an XC series that the average rider can actually do... without needing deep pockets or big time sponsors... OR having to share a race course with dirt bikes. Dirt bikes are a big problem for us in Nor-Cal, even to MX and MX tracks. ATVs may get an occasional practice session at an MX track (between db sessions), but to practice for what? For the most part, the actual race is for db only. We do have some CMC races, but is a series that's shared with the db crowd... then the dirt bikers complain to the promoter about how ATVs ruin the track for them and goodbye to ATV racing at that track... because they cater to the dirt bikes. Really sucks.

roadkill
The track owners in the US aren't English lol. The UK quad riders have the same problem. Most of the UK Pro's goto Germany , France and USA for winter training.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I was reading the omra forum, and all the quad riders are bitching about not having any races because of the dirt bikes, and all the db riders bitching about the quad riders getting in the way. I guess the reality is that the sponsor money is in the dirt bike races. they will need much more interest from quad enthusiasts to give the sport a boost in the northwest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
quad racing

I know what ever one complains about. Bikes hate quads. What ever reason we can do what we can to change the attitude. Show up at these races, don't complain and show them we are serious and want to race. Often we have a hand full of ATV's, while the bikes have 20 classes with full participation. The OMRA events are quad friendly but we need more participation. The classes are pro, expert, amature, beginner, womens, and several youth classes. I will tell you these these races are first class, great terrain, length, and sportsmanship. Thinks ******* worc's race. I have been racing these events for 5 years, and appreciate the opportun ity to compete on a more laid back level. Let me know if you have any question, are next race is coming up in a month. You can still sign up for points, only missed one race so far. Just do it!!
Ron

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm actually interested in the Prineville Adventure GP on may 22nd. its only a 3 hour drive from me, and it will give me time to figure out the rules and what parts I may still need to install on my quad to make it race legal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have never raced the prineville race,but I here it is technical. The race coming up in starvation ridge would be suited for you as well. It's about 2 1/2 hours from salem, I can meet up with you if you want. To race cost about $40. You will love it if you like rough, tight, fast, choppy, all kinds of stuff.
Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't worry about requirements. they wll set you up when you get there. I recomend all the gear plus nerfs, but nerfs or kill switch are nor required. Often we have dead engine starts, so practice that. Don't worry, after the first few corners, it's just a trail ride.
Ron

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unfortunately I have a bit of a need for speed and I got a few too many speeding tickets in too short of a time and got my drivers license suspended for 30 days. I don't get it back until the 16th of may. So I can't "legally" ride a quad til then. Thats why I'm looking at the Prineville race cuz its right after i get my license back. Whats it like to be a spectator at these races? much to see? maybe i will come up just to watch and learn about what I need to get started.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
A lot of the races I have been to, always have the bikes start off the day and the quads finish. Weird it isn't like that. I am actually trying to move out there again, particularly to the Salem area. I have to wait for my 6 month probation era w/ this job to be up, and if they aren't willing to relocate me, then it looks like I will be getting a new job out there, hopefully, if the market comes up. Then I will be trying to hit a lot of races as well. If you haven't raced ever before, you may want to start conditioning your body now. It will be the best work out you have ever had!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of the races I have been to, always have the bikes start off the day and the quads finish. Weird it isn't like that. I am actually trying to move out there again, particularly to the Salem area. I have to wait for my 6 month probation era w/ this job to be up, and if they aren't willing to relocate me, then it looks like I will be getting a new job out there, hopefully, if the market comes up. Then I will be trying to hit a lot of races as well. If you haven't raced ever before, you may want to start conditioning your body now. It will be the best work out you have ever had!
My sister lives in Salem. She likes it there, but I prefer the Eugene area.
Yeah I have never raced before, but I do tend to ride really hard for long periods of time when I ride trails. Then I take a nap while I wait for my friends to catch up. lol. I do tend to be pretty sore the next day though. I haven't been riding much lately so I do need some practice before jumping right into a race. I don't have all the gear and parts i need yet either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah we will get the leftovers for race times. Years ago we rode before the bikes, some times the track was great, but often we were grooming the track for the bikes. I am thankful to have a local race series, and unless we have the numbers the bike guys have and have our own events that is the way its gonina be.
As far as watching thes events, it's hard to see much because the tracks go off behind the hill or trees. I would recomend a practice day if you can swing it. A local ride area I have recently found is Rock Hill. It's out side Lebanon. If you can get there, I will meet you, I always can use more ride time.
Thanks
Ron

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I am going to the dunes this weekend. I think I am going to try riding some trails every weekend after this to get ready for a race, maybe we can meet up at some point. where are u located?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in Salem. I rode the rock hill track yesterday and plan on going back on the 7th. Let me know if you are interested. On the 15th is round 2 of OMRA race. You can still compete for points if you want. Or anyone else that reads this post, come give it a try. Look at the OMRA site, they give the info on class break down. These races are long and endurance is the key. I would like to see a how 700xx can deal with the 450's
Ron

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well I have a few mechanical issues I need to get worked out, but I still plan to try and make the race in prineville.

·
Registered
333 Posts
they have poker runs in capital forest (10 miles south of Olympia, WA) during the summer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.