Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking into the studded ice tires and came across this. Pretty cool. The dealer I bought my xx from had a simular set up with the ski's, however he actually had the track kit in the rear, looked bad ass but said it cost like 3 grand. This set up would only be a few hundred bucks. Just dont run anybody over lol. I would like to try this set up however I just bought a new set of Kutters. Would be cool to see some videos of this setup on an xx though. Anyways thought it was worth sharing just for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzIeZEHxkQ4

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
i would run big sand tires in the back... look and ebay they have a sky kit for 75$

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would run big sand tires in the back... look and ebay they have a sky kit for 75$
Watched a video of a guy that used sand tires on rear, looked okay but I would mostly be riding on the lake since I sold my sled and still like to ice fish. Check on ebay but sky kit comes up with 3,000 hits about car parts. This kits is only 100 bucks, then you buy the skis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is a pic of my 700xx with the ski kit that is the same as the video. Was out on the ice last weekend, definitely need some ice studs in the rear tires! Works great though, lots of fun. By the way, I'm new to the forum, looking forward to chatting with you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, and welcome to the forum. Nice picture. How much did the set up run you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
$90 shipped for the ski brackets from diamondjcustoms and found a set of skidoo precision skis with carbides on craigslist for $100. So under $200 for the front set-up, now looking into something for the rear to get a little more traction on ice.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet. I just bought a new set of tires so don't have a lot of cash right now. The ski's that i've been looking at are all most than $200. I would like to get this set up though to use out on the lake. Besides lacking traction in the rear, what do you think of the set up. By the way where are you from?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have not been able to get out much yet, just around the yard in 6 to 10 inches of snow, went through it no problem if I kept my speed up. Then out on the lake after it rained then froze, very smooth ice, was hard to pick up speed but could steer really well with the carbides digging in. So far I am very happy with the ski set-up. I think it will really do well in the open fields now that the temperatures have dropped and the snow isn't as fluffy.

I live a few minutes north of green bay, wi and ride on the rivers and the bay of green bay in the winter. I am taking a trip up to the UP of Michigan next week and will bring the 700xx with to see how it does in the open fields. I'll keep you guys updated and try and get some pics too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like the lakes here in maine, not much snow. Nice pic. Got any of the screws you put in the tires just for curiosity?

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Awesome pic!!!!
Totally agree. :D
Side-Note_!
I think if anybody runs atski rear studded tyres ,would they also consider buying a set of nerfs. They would make a right mess of your ankles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. I made it out of the bay and onto lake Michigan where I took the pic.

I am using #8 sheet metal screws 1/2" long in the stock tires to gain more traction on the ice, working really well so far.

A set of nerfs is probably a really good idea, gonna have to invest in a set!

·
Registered
369 Posts
i just ordered the conversion ski kit on ebay. did u get new skies or used i am looking where to get a good dealon some ski doo percison skis. will post pics when everything comes in

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, you should post a video.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a set of used skis locally for $100, came with the carbides too! I just posted an add on craigslist and had a few people contact me within a couple days.

·
Registered
369 Posts
webaddict what did use to stop the skis from rotating around. i tried bungee cords they work OK but still not great. This is what i am doing to some kenda bear claws

1 - 20 of 29 Posts