Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took my new to me 700 out for a weekend ride and it ran great all weekend. However when I got home I washed the quad fired it up and rode it to my barn to wipe it down with armor all. After I finished detailing it I went to fire it back up and all it did was make clicking noises. I put the battery on a charger and said it was down to 50% so i charged it up and it still would not start. At this point i pull started it with my other bike and it fired right up but then backfired ran rough and stalled and again would not re-start and just clicked. I am thinking my battery went bad because I had this happen once on my street bike and it did the exact same thing. Anybody have a similar experience??

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
The ECM is the only plug that is not waterproof. If you have a 700xx service manual the page 6-56,6-57. If you don't then pull the tank cover/nose peice off.Then remove the front lights. Then stood at the front of the xx , its the plug with the most wires on the right .You may have got some water in the plug connection.
I'll post the pages , if needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Baxter

I will have to try that although I am really hoping its the battery. When I turn the key on all the dash lights come on as normal but when I flip the headlights on everything dies. I will check that connector tonight though just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Check your battery connections as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
NVERL8,
I had the same thing on my 2005 Grizzly this morning when I was going ride. Just a click and that was it. I had it on the Battery Tender and the indication was that it was fully charged. After that, I removed it and took it to the motorcycle shop. The same indication, "fully charged". The kid put a load on it and the indication was it was completely dead. I really expected this to happen sooner-or-later. The battery is 7 years old and the new battery corrected the problem. I'm glad this didn't happen during my ride.
Sid

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
My original battery died within 3 years of ownership. I'm not sure the replacement will last this year.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
well its pretty easy to know if its the battery. hook it up to your car with some jumper cables, and if it starts right up, you know it was your battery. Mine is almost 3 years old. I never used a tender, but if i don't ride it for more than a couple months, the battery gets low and i have to jump start it. it also starts a little harder now i think mostly due to the 290 web cam though. I will be getting a better battery when its time to replace it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt try to jump it with my car but I did try to jump it using the boost setting on my battery charger and it would not start, however my charger is supposed to automatically shut off when "boosting" if it detects a problem so who knows that might be why it didnt start with the charger on the jump setting. Hopefully my battery will be here friday so I can find out then.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Thanks Baxter

I will have to try that although I am really hoping its the battery. When I turn the key on all the dash lights come on as normal but when I flip the headlights on everything dies. I will check that connector tonight though just to be sure.
It sounds like the battery but check the earth connection to the frame on the left side near the airbox.

Easy way to see if the battery is screwed . start her up and at idle pull the the temp switch connector on the thermostat off. If the motor dies then it's the battery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried the ecm connection and no luck, however I hooked the battery of my mower up with jumpers and it fired up so im sure it must be the battery. now i just have to wait for the new one to get here

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New battery showed up last night, once installed fired up and ran like a champ. Im glad thats all it was.................

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
NVERL8,
Congrats on the fix. Bet you had fun getting the old battery out.:steamed::lol: I decided a piece of nylon strap under the battery (cut from a tie down strap that was way too long) was the way to go for the Grizzly. When the XX needs a new battery I'll give it the same treatment. Makes it 100% easier to remove the battery in the future. Someone could patent this and include some holes in the ends with reinforcement to start the battery out of the holder.
Sid

1 - 14 of 14 Posts