Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baja 1000

Club 700XX members and all round good guys headed by 1a Wayne Matlock takes the checkered flag for the win in the 2009 Baja 1000. After a nearly flawless day of racing for the 1a team of Wayne Matlock, Harold Goodman, Wes Miller, Josh Caster as they claimed their 2nd straight BAJA 1000 Win & 2009 SCORE Championship.

:yay:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was just reading this over at ATV Riders. Awesome job, working on that Dynasty status!

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Well Done :yay::yay::yay:

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
ALL I CAN SAY IS 700XX RULES!!!!
CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF MINE... LETS RIDE

·
Registered
12 Posts
I competed with Wayne Matlock in the 2009 Baja 1000, our number was 7A. We also rode a Honda TRX700xx. Unfortunately we didn't turn in quite as good of time, 27:56:05, but we finished.
If you have any questions on how well the 700xx held up, I'd be happy to answer them.
I'd like to ask if anyone has any pictures of our quad. I came across the finish line while out photographer was out getting a bite to eat, and the TV crew where on break, bummer!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I competed with Wayne Matlock in the 2009 Baja 1000, our number was 7A. We also rode a Honda TRX700xx. Unfortunately we didn't turn in quite as good of time, 27:56:05, but we finished.
If you have any questions on how well the 700xx held up, I'd be happy to answer them.
I'd like to ask if anyone has any pictures of our quad. I came across the finish line while out photographer was out getting a bite to eat, and the TV crew where on break, bummer!
Tire Wheel Helmet Vehicle Automotive tire

Well.......how did it hold up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 488

Well.......how did it hold up?
Overall, the TRX700XX held up very well. The machine bent a tie rod three times from hitting rocks, and got flipped twice. In short, everything that Honda built is in great shape. I cannot say the same about some of the modifications.
The skid plates that I installed on the A-arms and under the front frame are loose and dented but still working, but the rear skid is worn through (they rattled so much that I couldn't hear the motor run for the last 70 miles).
The Pro Armor Fat Peg full nerfs, the ITP Baja front wheels, the stock rear wheels, and the Maxxis Razors are all trashed, and cannot be repaired or re-used.
On a positive note, the Elka shocks, the Precision stabilizer, and the Pro-Taper Raptor Bend bars, IMS 5 gallon tank, all held up and are like brand new.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good to know we got a solid frame on this quad. I have heard alot of other *quads* having a issue with cracked frames in the past.

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good to know we got a solid frame on this quad. I have heard alot of other *quads* having a issue with cracked frames in the past.

thanks for the reply
While I've had time to only put the machine up on a rack to make a brief inspection, I can tell you that the condition of the ball joints, tie rod ends, and front and rear suspension bushings are the same as new.
The stock chain adjustment system, that I thought about re-designing, did perfectly (I did use a heavier chain though, that needed no adjustment during the race).
I'll be able to get a more accurate idea on the front and rear suspension alignment when I replace the badly bent wheels, but I'm not worried. Everything looks straight.
Have no doubts, the 700xx is tough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is this your first baja? what tires did you race on or did I read right that you went thru 2 sets of rears?

We used one set of Maxxis Razr M931/M932 tires with Tire Johny's as insurance against running on the rims with a flat. We had a spare set of tires/wheels availible but didn't use them. The front tires, due to the excessive toe out for 1/3 of the race, are worn unevenly. If the alignment had stayed closer to true, and a deep gash in the side wall hadn't occurred, the tires would have been barely worn. The rear tires wore down to half, but had no problem with flats or cracking against the sharp rocks. They're still fit for the trail, but this was thier last race.
Despite reading average reviews, the Tire Johny's performed well, as I was able to run the last 73 miles with zero air pressure in the front tires, while climbing silt/rock hills, wide open throttle on dirt roads, and screaming down the streets of Encenada to the finish line.
And yes, this was our first Baja race. For three of our group this was the first off-road race ever.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
the Tire Johny's performed well, as I was able to run the last 73 miles with zero air pressure in the front tires, while climbing silt/rock hills, wide open throttle on dirt roads, and screaming down the streets of Encenada to the finish line.and yes, this was our first Baja race. For three of our group this was the first off-road race ever.
never heard of tire johnny (had to google it) but 73 miles with no pressure is impressive. So what do you have done to your XX? what other racing do you plan on doing? what would you suggest to someone who would like to start racing? sorry you said we could ask??? lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12 Posts
never heard of tire johnny (had to google it) but 73 miles with no pressure is impressive. So what do you have done to your XX? what other racing do you plan on doing? what would you suggest to someone who would like to start racing? sorry you said we could ask??? lol

The Tire Johny's are a hard foam type of insert, and are sold by GBC for $487.00, and offered no discount for being a dealer or racing. You have to have something in those tires. Either Tire Balls or Tire Johny's, Slime won't cut it.
I will have to meet with the everyone to discuss the future of team "Old School". One of our drivers has no intrest in off-road racing, wants to pursue F1 or Indy racing.
I'd do it again!!!
We spent our own money for this race, for it to continue we'll need some sponsors. That could happen, since we did "finish" the race. Sure we raced to win, but a DNF was not an option for our first time at the BAJA 1000 if we wanted to see sponsors or support later.
You'll see in these posts what I did to prepare the machine. I would do most of the same the next time.
I have to say that the number one thing I'd do different next time is spend more money on a real good GPS. One of my legs of the race was at night with the trophy trucks and buggies catching while hitting the whoops. It's tough to navigate when your in a dust cloud for 80 straight miles. Our overall time to complete the race could have been much better if we had not of relied on finding race markers. One of our drivers even went off course by about 20 miles in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
253 Posts
How tall are you? You make that thing look kinda small haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
5'10"...I'm not that big, but I could of added another inch to the handlebars. It's hard to add handlebar height when your using a stock stem though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts