Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had any trouble with the Barker Exhaust system blowing the exhaust air out of the joint where the head pipe & muffler connect? If so what is the fix. Mine did not do this at first installation, but about 5 hours into a ride yesterday it is leaking bad there..., and sounds basically like a straight pipe because so much air is passing through there instead of the muffler. Everything is still in the proper positioning & everything is still bolted solid & the spring is still in the proper place. Nothing is out of place or loose. I can't figure out what is going on. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
If you are using the QC , just check it is still in one piece. Mine did something similar because the QC broke and was jammed in the last bend before the cannister. Mine was one of the early Barkers and I believe the QC has been upgraded.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
If you are using the QC , just check it is still in one piece. Mine did something similar because the QC broke and was jammed in the last bend before the cannister. Mine was one of the early Barkers and I believe the QC has been upgraded.
By QC do you mean quiet core? If you do they're an insert at the exhaust tip. The spark arrestor on the quiet core I've seen blow out but it doesn't get stuck anywhere within the exhaust. You might need to replace the crush gasket if there is one. I can't remember but if there is you might need a new one up front.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Have you tried contacting barkers? Their customer service is on par with EHS and L8ton racing! See how they can help. I have seen them bend over backward to do so before if an issue were to arise!

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
By QC do you mean quiet core? If you do they're an insert at the exhaust tip. The spark arrestor on the quiet core I've seen blow out but it doesn't get stuck anywhere within the exhaust. You might need to replace the crush gasket if there is one. I can't remember but if there is you might need a new one up front.
The old Barker QC can break where the tube joins with the ring (spark arrester ring) and can slip down into the muffler and then into the mid pipe. I've had 2 QCs do this and before I put my 3rd one in, I weld reinforced the ring/tube connection... No more QCs breaking.

roadkill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not tried to contact Barkers. I guess maybe I should try. What is the best way to contact them? The exhaust tip & quiet core all seem to be intact also. There is nothing that appears out of place or loose. It is just leaking like crazy around the joint. Has this not happen to anybody else?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have not tried to contact Barkers. I guess maybe I should try. What is the best way to contact them? The exhaust tip & quiet core all seem to be intact also. There is nothing that appears out of place or loose. It is just leaking like crazy around the joint. Has this not happen to anybody else?
Eric can give you their number and tell you the best person to talk to. I have not had this problem, how tight is the fit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fit when installed was pretty tight and no leaks. Now after logging some hours on it things are different.., after the last ride it appears to have swelled or something. Now it has about a 1/4" gap around where the 2 pipes connect.., but as I said nothing is loose or has been moved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1/4" gap around the piping where the head pipe sits inside the muffler piping. Where the spring holds the 2 together at the joint firmly. Gap was not there at install or first hours logged riding, and nothing has loosened up since install. Do not know how it developed or what to do to fix it. Will call Mike and try get some ideal of what to do. I was guessing that this had happen to other people as well. Was looking for the fix, or what happen. Thxs.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
post some pics up that doesnt make any sense at all

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would love to post a couple of pics for you guys to see. Tried last night, but I am always asked for the URL link when I try to upload them. I just have them saved off on my computer in my pictures folder. How do I get them to upload from there on this site? And yes you are right a 1/4' is a big gap! lol... Sounds like a straight pipe now. :(

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I would love to post a couple of pics for you guys to see. Tried last night, but I am always asked for the URL link when I try to upload them. I just have them saved off on my computer in my pictures folder. How do I get them to upload from there on this site? And yes you are right a 1/4' is a big gap! lol... Sounds like a straight pipe now. :(

click on the paper clip at top to right of Smile face. but there is a site limit here, so alot of users use photobucket, and thats where the url link comes in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info. I will post the pics tomorrow (07/20/11) sometime when I am home. I work 2nd shift, so it will not be ths evening.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Let us know what mike says about it. I'm curious

1 - 20 of 23 Posts