Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering which one of these pipes would be the all around best pipe for everyday riding and an occasional gncc race and drag race. Main concerns are sound quality, power increase, and quality of the pipe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IMO sound would definitely go to the barkers........quality to the curtis ( from the flange that bolts up the header to the packing not pouring out)......as far as power, idk, I've heard maybe a 1/2 hp difference going to the barkers ( that was with the big three set -up), but have never seen any evidence from a dyno with two of the same built bikes with those exhaust being the only difference. And Im sure the increase of hp would differ on mods and threw the rpm range. I have a barkers for six months and I haven't had any problems, never had to repack, and my canister isn't lose. Although my friend says it looks as if it snowing when he rides behind me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
They are both great systems. Barkers sounds the meanest, Sparks will last longer between repacking and is quieter. They should be really close in power. They will both last the life of the quad (maybe not the heat shield on the Barkers though) if you take care of them. Just use some good locktite and lockwashers on the heat shield and don't get water in the mufflers.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Anyone have any pics of the Curtis Sparks exhaust?

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
The sparks is a better made exhaust if you ask me the packing is easy to change and there are no springs to hold the pipes together.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
How much is their exhaust by itself?

·
Registered
370 Posts
barkers is 489.00 curtis sparks is 529.00.. i have the barkers and love it so far

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
How much is their exhaust by itself?
If your wanting the ceramic coated header, I'd go with Sparks. Cause its only $579.95 and $40 to powder coat the can. Barkers on the other hand quoted me $200 extra on the header and $60 on the Can! I almost went with the Curtis all black w/ spark arrestor shipped would of been $664.00 Barkers was $769 before shipping.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. From the pictures and videos in the above link i am going to go with the sparks. Boost i noticed that you have fox shocks on the black xx. are those the float x air shocks and if so how do you like them. I am trying to decide between the fox shocks and the elka stage 1 because of the price difference. I am just a weekend warrior with a couple races now and then but i ride pretty hard and the stock shocks are going to beat me to death.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do those shocks set that low or do you have them setting that low. I don't know if i can sacrifice ground clearance. How easy are they to adjust. Is it complicated to get all the shocks equal. Where did you get yours and how much were they if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
For trail riding or racing they are the best shocks imo. Here is the rear pic of the rear podium shocks and front Floats.

What kind of handle bars are on both the red and black XX? I have Protaper EVO bars, and there just isn't enough room for my controls and my Powermadd hand guards.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Personally I think the sparks is ugly but looks aren't everything. I also wish the barkers was easier to repack. I would have to go with barkers just because I can deal with the repack issue to have an exhaust I don't hate the look of. No offense to anyone who has a sparks, everyone has different tastes.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I would rather have an exhaust that is better built rather than have one that is cheaply made

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i am going with the sparks, just wish it didn't stick out so far. I don't want it to get ripped off. I think i can build a grab bar that is a little longer so that doesn't happen. Thanks for all the help from everyone. Love this site!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
The early barkers had some issues, but I haven't had any problems with mine and I got mine close to when they first came out for the xx. Will have to see what the future holds though. Don't get me wrong I'm all about quality too that's why I have a honda.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Well i am going with the sparks, just wish it didn't stick out so far. I don't want it to get ripped off. I think i can build a grab bar that is a little longer so that doesn't happen. Thanks for all the help from everyone. Love this site!!
If you have the extra cash I'd get the ceramic coated header pipe. They can do it in black or what ever. It would look sweet, and cuts down on heat, and the upgrade price is not bad at all. As far as sticking out I know a six pack rack might help.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts