Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed about once a month or so it was a good idea to tighten the heat shield bolts as they tend to come loose. Well the first time I tightened one of them it stripped with little force like it was made of butter, so I couldn't tighten that one no more so I decided to wait for it to loosen up and go buy a new one hopefully with a different pattern than stupid allan key.

Today I went for a ride and guess what I lost an end cap bolt and the other 2 were barely hanging on! Now this wouldn't be a problem but I've went all over town and I cannot find a replacement. This shouldn't happen with new gear. I know it's minor but I have to waste gas and time looking for some bolt that I apparently can't find no where. Anyways for anyone with a barkers set up check your bolts after every few rides so you don't lose you heat shield or end cap.

As for me hopefully I can find a replacement bolt with a bit harder searching. :steamed:

·
Registered
538 Posts
when you find that replacement bolt, make sure to put some "red" locktite on it ;)

good luck, i had the same problem, but got lucky and found a perfect replacement in my tool box.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I am wondering if some small belleville washers would work better than the provided lock washers. We use them at work alot and they are designed to maintain spring pressure under heat cycles. We don't have any that small or I would try it. I think they would work well in this application. You would probably need a small flat washer also if you were using the Barker heat shield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_washer

·
Registered
425 Posts
If locktite is not cutting it..look into drilled bolts. So you can run safty wire though it. Should hold even with low torque.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts