Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do theses really make batteries last longer. And does everyone use them or not? Should they just be used during colder winter months or year round?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Powersports batteries never seem to fully recover from going completely dead. If you start it up often enough that your battery never "dies" you should be fine without a tender. I've had batteries die in as little as two weeks, and had them last over 3 months. Depends on the battery and conditions. However long you let it sit, just don't let it go dead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
they do make batteries last longer if your not using the vehicle. For most people its a winter thing but if its going to be sitting for awhile plug it in.

Basicly its a charger that can't over charge the battery

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have never used one and my bike sits for 4-5 months during the winter and I am still on the stock battery, I just start it and run it for about 10 minutes once a month.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I have everything on battery Tenders.. Car, Motorcycle, Quad.. But I also am Overseas for 3-6 months at a time and it makes things easier on the wife.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
I don't use one. I just make sure to start it up and let it run for 10-15 minutes every couple weeks. They do help keep your battery from going dead. If I was to say leave my bike in a non temperature controlled environment when it was really cold(below freezing). I would use one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My battery went dead within a year of having my ATV. It had been working for 2-4 starts at a time but I finally called it when I started the ATV, rode it around a little, let it idle while I talked to my neighbor for a few minutes then rode it up the ramp and into my truck. Drove the truck 30 minutes across town, set up my ramp, hopped on the ATV *click click click click* SON OF A B#!%)@

I believe they make battery tenders for multiple batteries to be hooked to. I need to find one because I have the XX, a sport bike and a harley all sitting in my garage. The harley always has the tender on it and I never get to put it on my stuff to keep them maintained.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I believe they make battery tenders for multiple batteries to be hooked to. I need to find one because I have the XX, a sport bike and a harley all sitting in my garage. The harley always has the tender on it and I never get to put it on my stuff to keep them maintained.
Or just get 2 more cheap tenders. Mine was like 10 bucks at walmart.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
They do make kits for multiple ones. Just have to make sure each line has it's own relay, so it knows when to charge one and when not to. I put my bikes and stuff on them when they just sit in the garage, just b/c I know I wont be around to start them that much. What they do is charge it completely up, and then allow a slow trickle discharge, so the battery actually cycles a little bit, but the discharge is very minimal. It all depends on how much you start it up and let the quad/bike/car charge the battery up. Also, when you get these new batteries, you want to make sure they are completely charged b4 you use them, sometimes they wont come that way, and it severely shortens their life span.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have battery tenders on 2 4x4s, a street bike, and a riding mower. I am tired of spending $80-100 on batteries every couple of years. I just started this last year before winter. No more jump starting when I want to ride. I have the dual tender and rotate my charging every couple of weeks. This way I can make my $400 in batteries last a while. Sometimes my stuff sits for a month or two and I don't want any delays when I go to ride. It is worth the investment to me.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Do theses really make batteries last longer. And does everyone use them or not? Should they just be used during colder winter months or year round?
I usually just fire my quad up every so often. I know that I should just run it a bit in my garage, but usually don't. I tend to rip up and down the street just enough to piss the neighbors off and then duck back into the garage.

roadkill

·
Registered
455 Posts
BTW starting your engine for just a few minutes without letting it fully warm up etc... is worse for your engine than letting it sit because of the condensation build up.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if you put your 700 to bed for the winter. With fuel stabilizer, and a battery tender. I should still start it up and let run every so often? I wasn't aware it would hurt engine just sitting. I think I have only started mine like 3 times since thanksgiving! I do try and let it run each time atleast 5-10mins, is that long enough to fully warm up? Thanks for info!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well lots of people will start bikes/atv's and only run them for 2-3 minutes to "charge" the battery and that builds condensation in the cylinder/exhaust.

You should be fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So if you put your 700 to bed for the winter. With fuel stabilizer, and a battery tender. I should still start it up and let run every so often? I wasn't aware it would hurt engine just sitting. I think I have only started mine like 3 times since thanksgiving! I do try and let it run each time atleast 5-10mins, is that long enough to fully warm up? Thanks for info!
With stabilizer and a tender, you should be fine to let it sit all winter. That is after all the whole point of the stabilizer and tender.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With stabilizer and a tender, you should be fine to let it sit all winter. That is after all the whole point of the stabilizer and tender.
Thanks I just mis understood 92k1500, talking about starting and not letting come to complete warm up. I know we always stored our boat all winter w/out starting. So I thought it was okay, as long as adding fuel
stabilizer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
When you shut off an engine there is moisture in the air in the cylinder and exhaust. If the engine hasn't fully warmed up, there is more moisture in there that condesates before it can escape. That increases the chance of rust in the cylinder and exhaust system.

It's not a "gonna destroy your engine for doing it" thing. The moisture is there anytime you stop the engine, and the small amout of rust a cold shut down creates is wiped away the very next time you start it, but over time repeated cold shut downs can shorten the life of your engine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use battery tenders on both our bikes. I actually bought an automotive style 2 prong cabble. It is about 12" long with a plug on each end. I cut it in half, soldered eye connections on the on end to put on the 700xx's battery. On the battery tender I cut the alligator clamps off and soldererd on other (mating) automotive end. I shrink wrapped all connections. I permanetly leave the one end attached to the 700xx's battery. When I am done riding I just pop the seat, hook up the automotive connection, plug in the tender and I am ready for the next trip. I purchased the cheap battery tenders from my local Harbor Freight (about $10 each). I have been using them for years without any problems and it sure beats the high price of the other ones out there.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
M Quick,
Best investment I made. I have the two station unit and it is always connected when the machines are not in use. My 2005 Grizzly 660 Utility Quad is 6 years old as of the first of next month. My 2008 TRX700XX one year and three months old as of now. Same batteries. I used the "pig tails" connected to the terminals and routed wires to the outside to conveniently hook the Battery Tender up after a ride. You can hook up one on any multi station unit without a problem. I installed an inline heavy duty switch so I can turn off the power before disconnecting Battery Tender, otherwise you have to unplug the unit. Pigtails have water proof caps for the ends that hang out below the battery compartment. Many accessories are available. I like the 25' extension. Great for routing over the garage rafters to have a hook-up in a not so convenient place.
If I had more toys I would buy a 6 or more station.
Good Luck :tup:
Sid

1 - 20 of 24 Posts