Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so for the average joe like you and me ( guessing you dont race ) the beadlocking rim is just bling ?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
IMO, it's a little bit of both... you might not race, but you might ride in really bad terrain... real rocky, rutted and all that good stuff... it's mostly just preference, and personally, another one of those luxurys

·
Registered
734 Posts
Also to be able to repair a tire on the field with normal patches which are better than plugs and they are also a lot stronger on the lips.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i understand the racers needs for the beadlock.... but the average joe ???

i can have omf cut my rear wheels for beadlocks with locking rings 280 then shipping on top of that... and iam trying to decide if its worth it or not, i def want them for the added bling but in all reality not sure if its worth it or not

·
Registered
445 Posts
There are several issues that may be overcome with beadlocks........

A highly powered MX quad will use a small 8" rear wheel. This means that there is only a small diameter gripping the tire on to the wheel. At low pressure combined with high power and high speed cornering there is a good chance you could spin the wheel inside the tire. For this reason you will see MX guys useing them on the rear only.

Off road guys use a 9" or even 10" wheel so spinning a tire is not so much of an issue so they mainly use beadlocks because they are much stronger than a conventional wheel (eg: double strength outside lip)

Desert guys use them for strength also but have the added bonus of being able to ride on them if you get a flat. High speed racing in the desert usually means that the pits could be along way away and riding on a flat tire is sometimes the only option. A beadlock will stop the tire from comming off the bead.......riding on a flat tire is better than riding on no tire at all.

Linc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts