Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just hung up with the dealer - they want $223.xx for a new one. How hard is it to replace? Are there any tricks to it. Should that stem be less than that? Is it possible to just bend it back once its off?!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will sell you a stock one for $100 I have 5 of them, or you could buy a Houser stem for $230.
What's the difference between the houser one and the stock one?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Is this a weak point on the bike?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks like the Houser stem also comes with a vibration dampener (with purchase of bar clamps), And built a bit stronger too.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
So I just hung up with the dealer - they want $223.xx for a new one. How hard is it to replace? Are there any tricks to it. Should that stem be less than that? Is it possible to just bend it back once its off?!
I bent my steering stem doing freestyle mx on my 400ex, I just replaced it. You can bend the old one back but you lose the strength of the steering stem then, could be dangerous.:eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem Solved!

jk. I'm still trying to decide between just another stock stem or the Houser one. I happened to race (and win) a 450R this weekend and he had the houser stem AND flexx bars. Looked comfy! Not only was my stem bent, it was twisted as well! I can only turn about 1/2 way to the left, but right turns are alot more fun!

·
Registered
984 Posts
So who won the TUG o' WAR or got the bigger half, GMC or Ford?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bet his neighbors loved that one.

"You aint gonna believe what those bachelor boys are up to now!"
You should have seen the looks people were giving us when they drove by. I live on the corner so you can imagine how much traffic I get! haha

I actually just barely pulled it with the ford in 4 wheel low and it bent it a hair to far, so then we redid the straps to pull the other way and it made it better than it was before! :lmao:

the next morning I went to load it in the back of the Ford and flipped it over backwards on its top. Back to square one, but it wasn't that bad. It will have a new stem and new Pro Taper bars this week. Wooohooo!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I swear when I got on your quad it wimpered:

(in a soft voice)

"Taaaaaake me home...he....beeeeeeats me."
Kind of like when I step on my Wii Fit board it says "ohh" like it hurt huh? lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
You may want to talk to Ed at Teixeira Racing. He did up my old stock stem on my 450ER. He took my stock stem, lengthened it 2 1/2 and + 3/4 inch forward, then put anti vibe mounts on it. I can' remember what I paid for it. I'm 6'-2" and it did great for me.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for now i'm just going to do a stock stem, they seem to be fine if i can keep the rubber side down! lol

woohoo 600th post!

·
Registered
24 Posts
LOL....

No what I meant was tha he can probably fix your old stem and if you want it make longer for probably less than the cost of a new one.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL....

No what I meant was tha he can probably fix your old stem and if you want it make longer for probably less than the cost of a new one.
I'm not too sure I want this one where near me... it doesn't take the diesel truck to bend it now :( lol In fact, i'm not riding it till the new one gets here, which was shipped today! woohoo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts