Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 700xx and I have full exhaust and programmer, I'm wanting to get some more go go juice without messing with clutches and stuff can I go a 727 big bore and be safe or which bore kit do you prefer need someone with experience I do a little drag racing!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I used a hotrods stroker crank and a cylinder works big bore kit as they come out of the same factory, and the big bore kit is made in the usa, not some dodgy chinese factory...
Hotrods,hotcams,cylinderworks and pivotworks (with vertex) all trade under the same parent company so would like to think all their stuff gels together nicely..
All seperate parts are readily available for rebuilds too..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Get ahold of eric at ehs for more power. Me personally i will never put a hot rods crank in anything i own. Seen way to many of them fail way to soon in mx bikes at work.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Best bet with out doing a BB is doing a high comp piston, port job, and different cam. If you have unlimited funds, then go ahead and do the big bore, but you will have to do all the others as well. Plus a valve job could help.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews about cylinder works and vertex. I stayed away from them. I got a cp piston and had the stock cylinder bored. It's a 715cc

·
Registered
481 Posts
Has anybody here actually had a cylinder works cylinder? Would like to know how it fits and how its holding up
I created a thread on it a while back with lots of pics... The cylinder is identical to the oem one, even has 686cc stamped on the side so no one would ever know its a big bore. Its made in the usa...
I put the stroker crank in as well.. thrashed to death for 600 miles now without any problems..
So with something like $2000 worth of fatboy 4 exhaust, K&N filter, vortex x10 power commander, big bore kit and stroker crank giving 751cc what do i think ?
Complete waste of money ! In all honesty the only difference is another 10mph top end?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
So you don't like it that much Rappey? I only did my BB cuz I was the guinea pig, first one to do one and I got a heck of a discount. But I've found over the years, its better to put different cam, do a port and polish, and a High Compression piston than it is doing big bore/stroker unless you drag a lot, or something of that nature. Can def tell a little bit of difference in power with mine, and I haven't had a problem with it, had it since early 2010 and probably has over 3000 hours on it since then, and big reason I did it was because it was cheaper than getting a stock OEM Piston and rings.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I sunk mine so had to replace crank and cylinder anyway, so like you bought it all as it was cheaper (and had always wanted to do the kit, but could never justify the exense of junking a perfectly good engine)
With my rap 660, did various exhausts,dyno jet kit/air filter and what a waste of time...
Friend had stock 660 so always had a baseline to compare with..
Tried one less and one more front tooth on sprocket, a drag to 60mph both quads side by side @ 60 mph.. so 660 cc and sprocket change makes no difference on acc. just different rpm and gear shift time.
bought a 700rap, came with noisy big 3.. friend also had 700, again no difference with or without.
Next the trx. It had the big 3.. far too noisy, and oddly enough my same friend then bought a trx with the big 3, so again i had a baseline to drag against..
So we get to the increase in cc...yet we are still neck and neck. I do have an extra tooth on front sprocket and 2" bigger rear tyres over him.
Took noisy pipe off, put on stock and we are still neck and neck !!!
He can just pass me around 70 mph (only difference)
So basically I think and always have done, that the big 3 and a lot of these other mods are a waste of money as the power gain is not really noticable.
With my setup duncan racing claim up to 18hp, plus the extra 70 odd cc yet it really does not feel any quicker...
I know many of you will testify to huge power gains with various mods, the above is just my personal experience..

I did add a powervalve to a rotax 125 in an enduro bike once and the difference was incredible, went from 12 to 34 hp and went like a scolded cat !
I,m sure that because aftermarket zaust and filter make a lot more noise it fools most into believing they then also have a lot more power..

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I had a different experience. I have yet to meet another XX that can compete with me. When I lived at the dunes, I ran into several XXs with different things done, and the best against my BB was about 2 lengths. I'd say I gained atleast 10hp, but really not worth all the money in my opinion. WHen you go big bore, you normally get more problems.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you really want more power then an engine transplant is by far the cheaper option (providing you can do it all yourself), but the trx would have a few issues with that !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts