Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live near Phoenix and it will be getting hot very soon. I want to ride as long as I can into the summer. 100 degree days would still be tolerable for me but I'm concerned about my motor. I plan on going full synthetic my next oil change. Price is not a consideration. I use K&N oil filters and currently have Castrol Evol Xtra semi synthetic oil. I read about a few synthetics including Honda HP4S. That only comes in 10w30 though. Suggestions?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your point being what, that I can't ask a vendor a question and submit the same question to the general forum? Besides that, how many people do you suppose look in the vendor area compared to this area? Also while Amsoil has great products I'd like to learn what experience people had with other synthetics. Understand?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
My point was questioning multiple post. Yes you may submit the same question many times. I'm not sure of how many people look at the vendor section but maybe we could setup a pole to find out. My experience with synthetics is that I can't tell wtf the difference is from brand to brand. They all look the same to me going in and coming out. I read up on it allot but come to find out most of the articles are sponsored by one of the brands.... Go figure. What I don't understand is the size of your signature. :p

Full synthetic would be ideal since your not worried about price. The decision of what grade to to use is debatable. My opinion. Start with 10-30 on new motors since tolerances are still close and enables better lubrication. Once the motor is fully broke in you could go to 10-40 if desired. I'd like to believe closer grade oils like 10-30 protect better than the larger spread viscosity's due to there being more lubricant and less modifiers per quart. But that's just my uneducated opinion also. Another thing to consider is since our rockers are non roller an oil with higher ZDPP levels would be nice. But then again you wouldn't want to use the "high mileage" oils due to them having chemical to swell seals... With all these things to consider it's mind boggling and now understand why you posted multiple times. As baxter would say... Cheers! :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I read a thread that full synthetic wasnt good for the xx because it causes clutch slippage. Unless its made for motorcycles I believe.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read a thread that full synthetic wasnt good for the xx because it causes clutch slippage. Unless its made for motorcycles I believe.
You need to avoid synthetics with molly. Otherwise I know you can run it. I'm leaning towards Amsoil.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Want to know the difference between oils? do your own testing and you will know.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Want to know the difference between oils? do your own testing and you will know.
Wow why didn't I think of that? So much easier than asking a simple question on an internet forum.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was not trying to be sarcastic, or knocking you asking the question on a forum...thats what forums are for, I was refering to smoooth's not being able to tell the difference between one oil to the next, and offering a solution. Oil testing will give you the bottom line numbers on any given oil...and numbers don't lie. I guess I should have worded it better.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
and you signature? Anyway thanks for the input.
What about my sig? In all honesty, Honda engineered there own Oil to extend the reliability of there product (atv). With this in mind I'd have confidence Honda oil wouldn't be a bad decision. It's what I run. No average user will see many benefits of extreme engineered oil. As long as you run a reputable oil you'll be ok. The oil in the motor cannot tell the difference between the temps outside of the motor except when it's cold. Being your in a warm region you don't even need to consider this side of it. As long as the engine temps do not go above operating temps the oil will never be effected. An overheated engine is what breaks down oil with synthetic being able to withstand even higher temps than conventional. With all of the variable's to consider it is to complicated for the average Joe to worry about minute oil specifics. In general, Just run a reputable synthetic 10-30 or 40w and you'll be fine. Asking for more than that from anyone would be asking for speculation.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, AMSOIL runs just fine with wet clutch applications. It was designed to meet those standards. In fact the people that use AMSOIL the most are many Harley riders and they use wet clutches as well.

This thread seems to be going back and forth, which I am used to due to all the opinions about oil. I am not here to bash anyone or state that anyone's opinions are wrong in ANY way. However, AMSOIL has been proven time and time again to out perform other oils. NOT just by test, but by peoples personal experience. As for the OP, you are in a hot environement and i would highly recomend a full synthetic motor oil. Like I said in your other thread, AMSOIL's motor oil was designed to withstand the heat and not break down like others do.

Take care

·
Registered
102 Posts
Where can I see some prices or how to order your oil ? I know Amsoil is good oil a lot of people use it and like it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I was not trying to be sarcastic, or knocking you asking the question on a forum...thats what forums are for, I was refering to smoooth's not being able to tell the difference between one oil to the next, and offering a solution. Oil testing will give you the bottom line numbers on any given oil...and numbers don't lie. I guess I should have worded it better.
OK. I am really trying to get as much riding in the summer as possible here in Az. while protecting the engine. I literally knew nothing about quads, NOTHING, before I bought the XX. I never even rode one. I had no idea IRS was something new, etc. Anyway it looks like I'll go with Amsoil. I read good reviews. Thanks to everyone for the input.

·
Registered
505 Posts
in my experience with the UOA's (used oil analysis) I've seen, you can't go wrong with amsoil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
go with amzoil, make sure its the kind for motorcycles! i have been using it in my street bikes, makes a difference to me. and when i break in the 700, it will also get amzoil, my 954 has over 30000 miles, and runs awesome!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good to hear the positive feed back guys! I use the heck out of AMSOIL and love it! I am working on a project soon that will tell us more about it's effectiveness in older (and maybe less valued brands) engines that are worked to the bone..... more on that to come!

Remember guys, quotes are always free to it never hurts to ask!

I am here to help

Take care

1 - 19 of 19 Posts