Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took about 3 hours of filming and about 4 hours to put it all together. All riding is done by me in Bradford County PA. For some reason the audio is quiet so turn it up!!! Hope you like it:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UepRUVid7PAYT][/YT]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice video! i see your drifting out of the turns are very nice, have you set the preload on the shocks yet? try and set the bottom of the frame at about 7 inches for the front and the rear at about 6 to 7 for better bite coming out of a turn with less push on the front.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have the front and rear preload two threads in from full soft but plan on getting Elka stage 2 with compression up front by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, I have the front and rear preload two threads in from full soft but plan on getting Elka stage 2 with compression up front by the end of the summer.
when you get the front elka's make sure you weight yourself with all your gear add about 10 pnds to that for the proper build or spring rate..

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
108 Posts
reason being weight fluctuation as in extra fluids water, food intake, some tools,when you start getting into your travel at high speeds or hit a big drop or a rock garden at speed you don't wont to bottom out, its just a better and a more precise way of setting up the shock
all my race bike aka downhill and street bikes when i would have the shocks and the forks reworked from race tech this is how i would have them set up.....:D

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohh, well I'm 150lbs with all gear and just checked the Elka web site and their bracket for weight is 150-174lbs so adding 10lbs would still be the same set up?? Unless I were to give them a specific weight which I don't know if they do it like that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
nasty, nasty, nasty, nice video, i always look up vids and these people are pansies and making our 700s look bad, hahaha good job !!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nasty, nasty, nasty, nice video, i always look up vids and these people are pansies and making our 700s look bad, hahaha good job !!!
Thanks man, I agree most you tube videos of the 700 don't show much of what it can do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ohh, well I'm 150lbs with all gear and just checked the Elka web site and their bracket for weight is 150-174lbs so adding 10lbs would still be the same set up?? Unless I were to give them a specific weight which I don't know if they do it like that.

Some of this may be my opinion, but it makes sense to me, so i will voice it and say yeah man, listen to ELKA, suspension building is best done by companies like showa, ohlins, elka, works, fox, etc... i re-build them, but with thier parts, they are usually right when it comes to building shocks, they know your atv weighs 505 and they know your 150, so they should have them perfect out of the box, all you need to do is adjust them slightly to your personal preferences...

the reason i think people say add ten lbs is because people like them stiffer or that water or mud adds weight or if you have all the weight on one wheel or, i dont know, i've heard numerous reasons, but bottom line is, they can handle whatever you throw at them, i had so much mud on my rear fenders that they snapped when i jumped and guess what, my elka rear shock was still brandy new and they were only set up for your weight because i bought them used from a skinny buddy...

Suspension tuning is like a black art depending on what you believe or your riding style, you can take your shocks to 10 different shops and 10 of them will set it up different depending on thier opinion, so alp them on, try it and adjust accordingly, if its pushing, to stiff, too loose, too high, low, fast or slow, i'm pretty sure elkas tech support will be like, well turn this a quarter and try it and then turn this a half and try it and you will get em dialed in for YOUR ridin style, best of luck to you, elkas are definately on my wishlist....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some of this may be my opinion, but it makes sense to me, so i will voice it and say yeah man, listen to ELKA, suspension building is best done by companies like showa, ohlins, elka, works, fox, etc... i re-build them, but with thier parts, they are usually right when it comes to building shocks, they know your atv weighs 505 and they know your 150, so they should have them perfect out of the box, all you need to do is adjust them slightly to your personal preferences...

the reason i think people say add ten lbs is because people like them stiffer or that water or mud adds weight or if you have all the weight on one wheel or, i dont know, i've heard numerous reasons, but bottom line is, they can handle whatever you throw at them, i had so much mud on my rear fenders that they snapped when i jumped and guess what, my elka rear shock was still brandy new and they were only set up for your weight because i bought them used from a skinny buddy...

Suspension tuning is like a black art depending on what you believe or your riding style, you can take your shocks to 10 different shops and 10 of them will set it up different depending on thier opinion, so alp them on, try it and adjust accordingly, if its pushing, to stiff, too loose, too high, low, fast or slow, i'm pretty sure elkas tech support will be like, well turn this a quarter and try it and then turn this a half and try it and you will get em dialed in for YOUR ridin style, best of luck to you, elkas are definately on my wishlist....
Well said!:yay:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks I think I'll just go with my riding weight since i can always add compression or if that's not enough, add preload. I won't be ordering them until late August anyway so I've got time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome video! Wish we had wide open trails like that around here.
That was a public road. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HAHAHA no just the opening flyby and 2 sweeping turns were the road. The rest was logging trails.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.