Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the thread on motor protection I'm wondering how you all clean your air filter, what you have, and how often you clean it.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Follow the instructions in the service manual, there's allot of threads covering thIs also.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Depends on what kind of filter you have. I use K&N filters with 2 outerwear’s over it with no air box lid. I have 4 K&N filters that I keep cleaned and oiled so I can just change them out after my ride each night. If you have a K&N filter just get the recharger kits and follow the directions.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
i have Uni's with the EHS lid. I just clean out my airbox and inspect my filter after every ride. Some times i'll change it after one ride and sometimes i'll get 2 or 3 rides out of it. Just depends on how dirty it looks. I don't let it get really dirty before i change it. I use the Uni filter cleaner and oil and follow the instructions. The Uni oil is good stuff it's super sticky and doesn't run off like other filter oil's i have used.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have EHS lid with side vents and uni filter. I got foam filter cleaner that you spray on and let it sit for 15 minutes then rinse off with water. Then wait for it to dry and spray the oil on the filter and your good to go.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have a uni. Guess I will have to get some of the uni cleaner and oil.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I use a Twin Air filter cleaning kit but not there filter oil. Clean filter every ride and bought 5 250r Uni filters and clean 4 at a time so I always have a spare.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know after reading of this potential problem I will be buying an extra filter to rotate with. Oil changes and air filter cleanings are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I bought a UNI filter and an OuterWear filter. The Filter does not fit the stock or Uni Filter. Only the K&N filter. So this is what I did with the Outerwear.

Stock filter
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

UNI Filter
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

OuterWear Pre-Filter
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
340 Posts
A good process

Folks I run the Pro Design with the red pre filter and no lid. In Aus we have microscopic dirt particles (BECAUSE IT IS SO DRY) and its not what filter you have, its how often you clean it and how.

1. Buy to 10 litre buckets with lids you can seal.
2. Fill each one with 5 liters of Turps or Kero. (I like Turps)
3. Have one as the first clean, then the second one for the final clean
4. I then rinse the filters out in soapy water then rinse with clean water.
5. Hang on line to dry.
6. Oil filter

This may sound a bit of a hassle but once your set up its a 5 min process. I live in one of the driest countrys on earth and I have lived by this process ever since I started riding 35 years ago and have never dusted a motor, quad or dirt bike.

Folks this set up lasts about a year before you have to change the Turps or Kero maybe less if your racing and by the way keep the buckets in a cool place so they dont expand.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Will be doing the same thing. Just ordered all the stuff.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought a UNI filter and an OuterWear filter. The Filter does not fit the stock or Uni Filter. Only the K&N filter. So this is what I did with the Outerwear.

Stock filter
View attachment 2706

UNI Filter
View attachment 2707

OuterWear Pre-Filter
View attachment 2708
Does anyone think that this setup would significantly limit the amount of air going into the engine so that the bike would run rich?

Anyone else use this setup? I want to do this.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
What setup are you referring to? The picture's you quoted with the Uni and outerwear on the lid is fine if that's what your referring to.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Other peoples experiences may be different, but I have always used gas on foam filters and never had any issues. Cleans it up and doesn't damage filter if done right. Not going to recommend it because of everything that could go wrong though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What setup are you referring to? The picture's you quoted with the Uni and outerwear on the lid is fine if that's what your referring to.
Yes, the setup in the pictures. Wasn't sure if the outerwears would be too restrictive.

Does the UNI let more air, less air, or the same amount of air into the engine compared to the stock air filter? Just curious.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The Uni Filter Screen has bigger holes than the stock filter screen so you are getting more air. Not too much more to have to do a mod to the engine. The Pre Filter did not fit over the filter because it was to small. I covered the opening to keep rocks, leaves, dirt, dust, water out of the air box.

I did not want to cut an opening in the top because I feel that the flat way would fill up with stuff and cut my air flow down.

My quad ran great with out any adjustments. I could not tell if it went faster.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
The Pre Filter did not fit over the filter because it was to small. I covered the opening to keep rocks, leaves, dirt, dust, water out of the air box.

Did the pre filter not fit because you order'd the one for the 450R someone previosly posted a link for? I never saw the answer to ? If it was same as the 700xx? I Like the fact about keeping stuff out of air box!

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Pre Filter did not fit over the filter because it was to small. I covered the opening to keep rocks, leaves, dirt, dust, water out of the air box.

Did the pre filter not fit because you order'd the one for the 450R someone previosly posted a link for? I never saw the answer to ? If it was same as the 700xx? I Like the fact about keeping stuff out of air box!

The pre-filter I ordered was from the link on page 1 of this post.. the 450r one. It did NOT fit the 700xx filter, so I customized it to fit on the outside of the lid to stop debree from coming in.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The Pre Filter I ordered was for the 700xx from Dennis Kirk website. Outerwear only makes a pre filter for the K&N filter. The K&N Filter is smaller than the Stock filter or the Uni Filter. The Uni Filter and the Stock filter are the same size. The part number for the 700 and the 450 are both different. Outerwear shows on thier website that it fits the K&N filter only. When I purchased the Pre Filter I did not know that it would only fit a K&N fitler only and I did not know that the K&N filter was smaller. So I improvised.

The screens are different in the Stock Filter and the UNI Filter.
UNI Filter has bigger holes to let in more air.

Outerwear Pre Filter $20
UNI Filter $30

K&N Filter $75

I always clean my filters with gas. Let dry for 30 min, then oil. I clean everyday when I ride in sand and never had a problem.

Other members suggested the Pre Filter and the BAJA race runs a Pre Filter. This Year I am trying the Pre Filters.

How many members use the Pre Filter or the open top lid?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How are you guys oiling your filters? Are you using oil from an aerosol can or just oil from a bottle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.