Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a duncan racing fatboy4, A stupidly huge K&N with outerwear, no air box lid and a vortexx10 .
The noise is just too loud and need ear plugs when riding..
since this is a uk road legal machine the noise is not acceptible, plus i dont want to end up deaf !
Today i put the stock header and rear silencer back on and wow, so much quiter..
Took it for a spin to make sure it still runs ok as vortex settings have not been changed.
The quad ran faultless and flat out goes just as fast (84.3 mph on gps)
Next will be to remove the k&n as there is dust in the inlet manifold..
Have always read k&n,s suck as they dont filter enough, well ive just found out for myself.
Have also ordered a airbox lid as i dont have one which has to come from the states..
The induction noise is very loud when opening the throttle so will look forward to shutting that up once and for all.
Will be interesting to see if the quad still reaches 84.
I did the "big three" to the raptor i had and it didnt make any difference, other than lost some low end grunt and dropped from 90-100 miles per tank to 60 !
Fairly sure the honda will not loose much either.
This must be a first though as most want to add the big 3.. I bought my quad already with them and want to go the other way ..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the stock set up!!! I can't see any loss of power.
thats good to hear..

the raptor looses low end grunt as it moves the torque higher up.. It is a 660 i was refering to and not a 700..
Bypassing the limiter on the 700 is no problem either but really only gains a few mph..

Also found out what happens when you go too fast round corners on road...
Its actually not that bad as you can feel the back end twitch as a pre warning and then the inside front wheel lifts off !!!
I,ll have this thing powersliding on the road yet !

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
finally removed the vortex x10, fatboy4 and K&n.. and put airbox lid back on with that weird plastic bit inside.
all is back to genuine stock items..
No noticable loss of power and it still hits 84 mph..

so verdict,,
Duncan racing fatboy4 $ 599
Vortex x10 $699
K&N air filter=outerwear $ 100

Thats $1398 that was wasted just to make the zaust look prettier and make sh*t loads more noise. Oh, and to eat more fuel.

Verdict - Dont bother with the big three, it didnt work on my 660 or 700 raptor and it certainly dont work on my trx !

Now all i can hear when riding down the road is the tyre noise and wind in my lid ! Ahh, peace and quiet again.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
This guy sounds like he is more interested in top speed and imo the big 3 doesn't do much for top speed it just gets you to that top speed faster.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
This guy sounds like he is more interested in top speed and imo the big 3 doesn't do much for top speed it just gets you to that top speed faster.
agreed on that ehs big 3 will do that and a little more:xx:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well it gets more interesting..
Drag racing a renegade xx on tarmac with the big 3, nothing in it,both same acceleration and i win on top speed..

Raced the same rene today, i was behind him when he took off this time, not along side, got to around 45mph and i just cruised past him..
General concensus from the others is the honda is now quicker on acceleration !!!

And no, im not just interested in top speed but since our group of around 20 quads are all road legal we often tear along the road in order to get to the next dirt track.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
If you took the big 3 off and your XX accelerates faster now than before...something wasn't right with your big 3. I have a lot done to my XX now but I can still remember going from a stock XX to the big 3 and it made a pretty big difference. Either way it you're happy with it now than that's all that matters.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What could have been not right though?
The items were fitted and set up by http://www.atvworld.com/ who have 21 years of atv racing expertise under their belt.

Aftermarket pipes/filters add a lot more noise and im pretty sure this is what fools most into believing that they have achieved more power.

Take the claims of K&N, "Designed to increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration" Yet many know k&n let so much fine particles through but through superb marketing they sell well.
Same as rolex, not the best but world leaders when it comes to product awareness.
Many manufacturers are well known therefore sell well as trusted.

Do some engine mods and then the big three will be needed to reap the gains, but on a stock engine using bolt on parts im not so sure.

Many people on other forums agree with this.
for some engines it may make a terrific improvement but for others it may make it worse.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
that big 3 supposed to make more hp than ehs big 3 according to duncans dyno sheets.
:confused:
kinda backs up what i say dont it you cant base fast up dyno# its just a number that is relative to itself.

rappey you had decsent stuff on there i would think it probably wasnt tuned ideally.

you should defiently feel a noticable difference if its setup correctly i wouldnt base all big 3 of your exp granted some will do more than others but you should of had some pretty good gains from that.

the vortex is a pretty capable system and should be able to make it run very well but its also like i say if you dont have it setup right it wont run worth a crap "better" isnt always "better" unless its used correctly.

do you have access to the timing and fuel map that was used?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have no idea how it was set up, just based on the assumption that the company that fitted it would do what is best..

I,ve seen so many people do the big 3 to their quads yet in a drag race before and after have seen no difference (other than to their wallet)

If the use of a dyno was available to do a before and after then maybe there would be a noticable difference..

Once i had stocked mine and took it out for a spin it felt slower, until i raced the same renegade xx on the road and discovered i could now out accelerate him !

Have ridden over 25,000 miles on quads so having a very noisy quad would have seriously damaged my hearing with aftermarket pipes.

Either way the noise factor was too much, exhaust coupled with the no lid air induction noise which in our crowded little country is bordering on "antisocial behaviour".

I measured 101db with blipping the throttle with the big 3.. Have yet to do it in stock form.

Was getting 60-65 miles before hitting reserve so will be interesting to see if any improvement now.
the quad does run lovely with no cutting out when suddenly stopping.

Have ridden over 25,000 miles on quads so a noisy pipe would have seriously damaged my hearing running loud pipes...

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
What could have been not right though?
The items were fitted and set up by http://www.atvworld.com/ who have 21 years of atv racing expertise under their belt.

Aftermarket pipes/filters add a lot more noise and im pretty sure this is what fools most into believing that they have achieved more power.

Take the claims of K&N, "Designed to increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration" Yet many know k&n let so much fine particles through but through superb marketing they sell well.
Same as rolex, not the best but world leaders when it comes to product awareness.
Many manufacturers are well known therefore sell well as trusted.

Do some engine mods and then the big three will be needed to reap the gains, but on a stock engine using bolt on parts im not so sure.

Many people on other forums agree with this.
for some engines it may make a terrific improvement but for others it may make it worse.
I totally agree with the more noise the more power reference (you will hear people talking about putting on a slip on exhaust and now their quad is WAY faster) My XX has probably been on a dyno more hours than its been in the sand :nuts:. We have tried a lot of different setups to see what works and what doesn’t, never had a chance to play with the Vortex but I hear good things about it. I would guess that the tune was way off on your Vortex if you noticed more or the same power with the big 3 off. When I first added the big 3 to my XX we gained almost 7HP and I had a cheap setup then. IMO the K&N (or K&N type of filter) makes the most power (never seen a drag bike with a Uni lol) and I ride my XX with no air box and no pre filter and have never had a problem with my K&N filters.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cant really comment on how good or bad they are but they certainly do have a long list of winning quads ,riders and races over the years !

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Cant really comment on how good or bad they are but they certainly do have a long list of winning quads ,riders and races over the years !
Is that why Mitchell has so many British titles compared to Winrow ?
Yes they have won alot of PDV but the didn't build the motors, Paul Turner did.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Big 3 makes a difference. When I bought my OMF rims and new tires it slowed my bike considerably due to the extra weight compared to the light but extremely weak stock rims. When I was bone stock I could smoke my friends Outlander 800. I got the new rims and tires and we ended up being neck and neck. I got the big 3 and I am able to smoke him again, not only that I noticed my bike is now more suited to the 14 tooth in tech trails than before. I used to stall so much when stock. Another thing I'm only 155 pounds and could only wheelie my bike from 3rd on straight road and 4th on inclined road on stock setup. Now I can wheelie 3rd and 4th on straight road and 5th on inclines with big 3.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts