Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Don't mess with them.

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who thinks i should paint my 08' like the 09' with black wheels and hubs. I'm thinking it'd look pretty good. Yay? Nay?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Black wheels always looks great in my opinion, but how do you plan on painting them? Anything but powdercoating and the wheels will look like crap after a couple rides.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black wheels always looks great in my opinion, but how do you plan on painting them? Anything but powdercoating and the wheels will look like crap after a couple rides.
I was going to use spray paint. Reason being - powder will chip and eventually you'd want to re powder them. Spray paint is paint... just spray it if it scratches. 2 cans of spray would more than likely do all 4 wheels pretty good which cost a whole $10.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I couldn't help it... (ran out of paint before i could do the insides)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
310 Posts
Red hubs would really set the black off

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My buddy wanted to do that, but i wasn't to sure of it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you need them powder coated let me know. We have a powder coating line at work and we run our standard black every day. Powder coating is the only way to go. Spray paint and a pressure washer do not mix. Also keep in mind that aluminum will not hold paint very well without being baked on. When we powder coat aluminum we have to preheat the aluminum after it runs through a 5-stage acid wash and rinse then powder coat them and bake the powder on.

Love the look with the black. I will be doing mine and I think that red hubs may be an option also.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I checked today on a Powder coating Price.

I can get it done for $25 Per Rim. If anyone is interested. This would be for running your rims through our 5-stage acid wash and rinse with a final Halo rinse and then powder coating them our standard TGIC black. This would not include shipping them back.

I believe I can get the Black Wrinkle finish also for around $30 per rim. We do not run Wrinkle as often so the turn around time would be longer.

Just need the bare rim and it should be clean :). The Acid wash and rise it not a car wash :), but rather a surface prep for the Powder.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Looks better but I highly doubt the spray paint will last.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks better but I highly doubt the spray paint will last.
Yeah, i agree that powdercoating is probably the way to go. But I have $4 in paint just to see what it looks like.

I finished spraying the insides tonight, looks alot better since you can't see the inside of silver wheels.

Also, i'm headed out this weekend to test the durability :D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take some pics there too!

I miss that place!
My buddy will probably take his Canon camera for some really nice shots.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Red or Black HMF....black seat.....red Tag handlebars...MMMMMMMM :tup:
Thats what i'm saying... I'm just worried how that red HMF is going to holdup to getting hot and dirty.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I have a friend that has had a red HMF on his Raptor for close to 5 years now, and it still looks BRAND NEW...no lie!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts